Reinforcement - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 05-08-2016, 09:08 PM   #1
GCS

Trailer: 1976 Aljo
Reinforcement

I have seen people talk about reinforcing the walls of their trailer yet I have not seen it mentioned in the options listing. Where would this be needed and what would it run ?
GCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 09:30 PM   #2

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCS View Post
I have seen people talk about reinforcing the walls of their trailer yet I have not seen it mentioned in the options listing. Where would this be needed and what would it run ?
Needed if YOU want to add heavy things to the wall after the build. Maybe a shelf, or a wall mount TV in a non standard spot, things like that.

In my last trailer the walls were so thing you had to use toggle bolts to get any kind of strength for something as simple as a coat hook. The Escapes are a little better, but unless you hit a stud there is still not much there.

Keep in mind, if you have ETI hang things for you during the build or at pickup, they can make due without reinforcement. Do clear it with ETI beforehand though.

Some folks get some reinforcement, many do not, completely your choice. Adds to price and weight.
Old 05-08-2016, 09:47 PM   #3
GCS

Trailer: 1976 Aljo
Thanks. Still working my way through the site so if my questions sound repetitive, that is the reason. Beginning to get a better understanding though. Thanks.
GCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 11:18 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Thanks. Still working my way through the site so if my questions sound repetitive, that is the reason. Beginning to get a better understanding though. Thanks.
I would like to share our experience . Escape hung our TV mount with our TV there too . Usual placement on corner of bed, frig wall in 19 , with their TV mount option . Keep pulling off the wall . We never travel with TV hanging . I know how to fix which required a 3/4 piece of Oak attached to corner wall , then remounting their TV mount to the wood . Over 2 years no problem . I wouldn't depend on corner framing for hanging whatever even just hooks . We have the extra reinforcement in our walls . It is 3/8 plywood not covering your whole wall at least 1/2 of the wall . Since it is not compress board not really very heavy . You never know if later you would want to attach something to those walls . Just a thought . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 08:07 AM   #5

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
It's $100.00 per wall. You're correct that it's not listed on their build sheet. Lots of what they do isn't listed there, so you have to comb through this list quite a bit to find out about things like that. I spent months when I first joined reading just about every post I could and taking notes on things I knew I'd need to know later.

There are multiple posts that cover options not on the build sheet. Do a search with the words "options build sheet" and I'd bet lots of different threads will pop up.

Have fun reading and learning and jotting notes!
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 08:29 AM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax
So which walls do people reinforce on a 21? I can understand doing the wall between the bathroom and the bed. Big space just crying out for some kind of use. So where else?
stephen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 08:35 AM   #7

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
That was the one wall I did in my 21, the other wall, next to the refer dinette side has reinforcement already at the edges and in the middle. The wall that faces the bed has access within the closet if needed, so that is about all you need.
Old 05-09-2016, 08:39 AM   #8

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
My wife and I couldn't decide where the TV was going on our 19, so we had 2 walls reinforced and decided after using it. I had my wife lay in the bed, then sit at the dinette while I tweaked the TV placement to be visible everywhere. I couldn't have done that without the reinforced wall that let me put the mount anywhere.

The walls are fine, as is, unless you want to hang something heavy.If you think you might want a TV or shelf on a wall, I'd pay the $100.
sturski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 09:57 AM   #9

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0 TA
My wife and I were not rabid fans with the feel of the shall we say "lightweight" walls, so we opted to have a super-secret undisclosed number reinforced for no other reason than to have the satisfaction of knowing we had "solid" walls. We're smart like that!

I have no idea if they serve any other purpose if we attach nothing to them, but just knowing the trailer will weigh more and we will get less gas mileage is benefit enough!
nathanj04011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 10:22 AM   #10

Trailer: 2014 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanj04011 View Post
My wife and I were not rabid fans with the feel of the shall we say "lightweight" walls, so we opted to have a super-secret undisclosed number reinforced for no other reason than to have the satisfaction of knowing we had "solid" walls. We're smart like that!

I have no idea if they serve any other purpose if we attach nothing to them, but just knowing the trailer will weigh more and we will get less gas mileage is benefit enough!
We 'reinforced' 4 walls. It doesn't weigh that much more because it's plywood squares stuffed loosely between the pine frame. And in ours they were only 2/3 of the way down.

A sheet of plywood is around 75 lbs and you are using a fraction of that.

Water at 8 lbs a gallon .... Sloshing around in the three tanks is a lot more weight!
Klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 10:26 AM   #11

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Dirk's in the same category as you and your wife, Nathan. So, we're getting the wall between the bed/bathroom and the two at the ends of the dinette reinforced. We did not get the one on top of the drawers as we're getting an additional drawer stack on top, which will reach to the bottom of the overhead cabinet.

We don't plan to put in any TVs or Umbra hooks, but there might be other items that will get mounted to the walls. Such as other style hooks and who knows what.

Let's see, I'm guessing 5 walls. More if you start counting dividers/walls in storage areas.
Old 05-09-2016, 10:32 AM   #12

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post

Let's see, I'm guessing 5 walls. More if you start counting dividers/walls in storage areas.
Oh please! What would be the point if it were a just measly 5 walls?
nathanj04011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 10:41 AM   #13

Quote:
Oh please! What would be the point if it were a just measly 5 walls?
Oh man, this is a challenge. Gotta think about this one for a bit.
Old 05-09-2016, 11:01 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klem View Post
We 'reinforced' 4 walls. It doesn't weigh that much more because it's plywood squares stuffed loosely between the pine frame. And in ours they were only 2/3 of the way down.

A sheet of plywood is around 75 lbs and you are using a fraction of that.

Water at 8 lbs a gallon .... Sloshing around in the three tanks is a lot more weight!
Much better explanation then I did Klem ! Pat
Old 05-09-2016, 07:59 PM   #15

Trailer: 21' Escape (June 2014)
My wife couldn't decide between having the hanging closet or shelves. I had those two walls reinforced in case she decided on the shelves - which she did soon after buying our 21'. I felt a lot more confident putting adjustable shelves in knowing that the walls were reinforced.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 08:07 PM   #16
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray N View Post
My wife couldn't decide between having the hanging closet or shelves. I had those two walls reinforced in case she decided on the shelves - which she did soon after buying our 21'. I felt a lot more confident putting adjustable shelves in knowing that the walls were reinforced.
Yup, they work great should you decide to subdivide the cabinet. Escape doesn't put in adjustable shelves, so you can have the best of both if you're handy. We decided to keep a small hanging area (handy when packing a tuxedo) and make the rest drawers on adjustable shelves in our 21.
Attached Thumbnails
Drawers.jpg  

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 11:56 PM   #17

Trailer: 2020 Bigfoot 25RQ
Those drawers look great! Did you make them?
Sandyb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 12:08 AM   #18
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandyb12 View Post
Those drawers look great! Did you make them?
Nope. Can't beat their price or I would sell it as a product! Buy Pull Out Kitchen Cabinet Sliding Shelves & Drawers Online - Rollout Kitchen Drawers

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 02:03 AM   #19

Trailer: 2005 Aliner, 17B due in April/17
Has anyone just used the Command hooks? I don't plan on hanging up anything very heavy. Do they stick to the Escape woodwork? (I'd imagine they wouldn't stick to the walls.)
blhvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 02:20 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by blhvet View Post
Has anyone just used the Command hooks? I don't plan on hanging up anything very heavy. Do they stick to the Escape woodwork? (I'd imagine they wouldn't stick to the walls.)
Yes they do stick to "woodwork" . The panels used is really a paper like made to look like wood . You have to be careful or you can damage it . I have and others too .Pat