Reinforcing the Receiver Hitch - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-28-2016, 02:17 PM   #21
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Escape framing also uses 3/16 inch wall section box tubing, not the 1/8th inch C channel I recall drilling thru in my Casita.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 04:53 PM   #22

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0 TA
So for the stupid among us (pick me! pick me!!) are you Charlie and Brian both saying that the tubing Escape uses will completely withstand 250 lbs of weight as is? Or what modifications exactly would you recommend? I'd like to have the right idea in case the welder, if needed, has a few hair brained ideas of his/her own.
nathanj04011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 06:03 PM   #23

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
We're not testing yield strength here. Yes, it's strong enough to hold 250 lbs. But it's a dynamic load, it bounces and moves around. Put a long enough lever arm protruding from the receiver and it will start to move which in time can create fatigue.

One way to reduce the effect is to carry the spare elsewhere, I carry mine in the back of my truck, as this reduces the length of the load from the receiver.

Welding a cross tube as your side-to-side red line certainly wouldn't do any harm.

But I still think a simple support for the front or rear wheel U bolted to the frame would be the simplest way of additional support and reducing "bounce".

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 06:08 PM   #24

Is the "bumper" what you are referring to as the frame, Ron, or the crossbar? Again, I apologize for being as dumb as a brick!!
Old 03-28-2016, 07:20 PM   #25

This is what I've done. I only carry two bikes. I find once there's a second attachment the whole works firms up.

If I was going to carry 4 bikes I'd probably either use a 2" x 4" or have a receiver welding on and use a support to get that second point for carrying the 4 bike load.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
28-03-2016 5-08-07 PM_0001_resize.jpg  
Old 03-28-2016, 07:53 PM   #26
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanj04011 View Post
So for the stupid among us (pick me! pick me!!) are you Charlie and Brian both saying that the tubing Escape uses will completely withstand 250 lbs of weight as is? Or what modifications exactly would you recommend? I'd like to have the right idea in case the welder, if needed, has a few hair brained ideas of his/her own.
Class III hitch should be fine with 250 lbs, but the distance from the receiver gets important if the weight is more than 1 foot away. Sounds like you didn't call Escape and ask what their recommendation is for their stock receiver and if your load is greater I'm sure they can recommend any added structure.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 08:42 PM   #27

Thank you guys! Ron, "a picture is worth a thousand words" just proved itself to be true!! Completely understand now! Thanks again!
Old 03-31-2016, 03:10 PM   #28

Interesting "Bumper" segment of "How things are made". Show testing a trailer ready bumper unit. Basically a square tube sticks out from the receiver and a ram cycles on and off loading up the receiver. Pretty graphic movement when load was increased, probably far more than would be in actual use but food for thought.

Ron
Old 03-31-2016, 03:22 PM   #29

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Class III hitch should be fine with 250 lbs, but the distance from the receiver gets important if the weight is more than 1 foot away. Sounds like you didn't call Escape and ask what their recommendation is for their stock receiver and if your load is greater I'm sure they can recommend any added structure.
The hitch classes are established by VESC standard V-5 and SAE standard J684, and refer only to the capacity of the hitch. Class 3 (or Class III) means up to 5000 pounds of trailer weight. A real Class 3 hitch should have no problem with a 250 pound load as long as it is does not stick out too far to the rear.

The bike rack receiver on an Escape is not intended for towing another trailer, and it is certainly not designed to takes the forces associated with towing a 5,000 pound trailer. The only part of this system which would meet the Class 3 strength requirements is the piece of tubing with a 2" square inside; the rest of the structure is not a Class 3 hitch, and not intended to be one.

Often people refer to any hitch receiver of the 2" size as Class 3, causing confusion.

So yes, the capacity of the bit of square tubing used as a socket is not a concern.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote