Relocate the spare? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2016, 04:13 PM   #21

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Charlie, Check out your local boat shop for ideas. They usually have several options for carrying a spare tire on boat trailers. Just a thought. We're not getting the front tool box, so we could easily relocate the spare to the tongue and clear up the rear bumper for whatever. Also, my wife's bike has folding peddles that give about 4" more clearance on each side when folded. Doesn't sound like much, but it can make a big difference in some stowing situations. Also, our current EggCamper came from the factory with the spare located in an inside closet, as others had noted. A previous owner moved the spare to the rear bumper to allow more storage space in the closet, and we're keeping that arrangement.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 12:22 AM   #22

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic #7
Has anyone installed the Arvika Rack that mounts above the propane tanks?
I saw this installed don a trailer this past July and it look very solid.

demo video:
https://www.youtube.com/embed/92ktLPqStvU

or something along this:
https://youtu.be/DiCK2ydiSHc
7th Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 07:15 AM   #23

Saw an Arvika Rack at the Green Eggs & Ham Rally last year. The owner really liked it. Only complaint was all the smashed bugs he had to clean off the bikes after road trips.
Old 09-12-2016, 08:06 AM   #24

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I am considering mounting a receiver for the bike rack on the pin box of my 5.0. I think this would be a great, out of the way place to carry bikes, and leave the receiver on the rear of the trailer free for a storage box for other things. Of course this is all speculative, as I first want tot get possession of the trailer, build all the interior storage, and see what additional storage I need.

My biggest concern was the amount of bugs I would get on the bikes, and how I would either keep them clean, or get them clean. I would never wash a bike in a car wash, and only rinse with a hose. A bucket with warm soapy water and a brush work great on mud, but not so much on bugs. A friend on Labour Day, brought out this Reliable EnviroMate Pronto P7 steam cleaner that shot out a concentrated jet of steam for cleaning. There was not a huge amount of pressure, it was meant to just loosen grunge. Anyway, he played a lot, and used it to clean bugs off his plastic mirrors, and it worked great. Of course, one would need a source of 120V AC to use it, and it adds work to vacation time.

The other consideration would be using a bike cover, but I have to wonder what kind of stresses a cover would cause hitting the highway speed (plus wind speed at times) wind flow broadside like that. On the rear wind is much less of an issue. I know folks with rooftop bike carriers use a bra that just covers the exposed frontage. Maybe a roof mount for the bikes might be a better option.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 08:43 AM   #25

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
...The other consideration would be using a bike cover, but I have to wonder what kind of stresses a cover would cause hitting the highway speed (plus wind speed at times) wind flow broadside like that. On the rear wind is much less of an issue. I know folks with rooftop bike carriers use a bra that just covers the exposed frontage. Maybe a roof mount for the bikes might be a better option.
Mine works reasonably well to keep most bugs off of my bikes. Don't even notice a difference in gas mileage when towing with three bikes (two bras) on the roof or towing with no bikes on the roof.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 09:56 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
Mine works reasonably well to keep most bugs off of my bikes. Don't even notice a difference in gas mileage when towing with three bikes (two bras) on the roof or towing with no bikes on the roof.
I imagine towing you would not see a difference. My brother uses a roof rack on his Subaru lots, and says he does notice a wee bit of a decline in mileage, more the faster he goes.

BTW, I saw the photo fine on my phone, but can't see it here for some reason.

And, is there a particular reason you highlighted my text in pink? Just askin'.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 09-12-2016, 10:17 AM   #27

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Hope this question isn't too far off topic but wondering if any bike owners bring along a bike that's an electric-assist type. You know, with a lithium battery-powered mini-motor. Curious about brackets, convenience, etc.
Old 09-12-2016, 10:51 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
BTW, I saw the photo fine on my phone, but can't see it here for some reason.

And, is there a particular reason you highlighted my text in pink? Just askin'.
Maybe is due to Google pics link. Will upload directly onto this site.

I thought pink was a fine color to highlight the text that I was talking about. I could edit it to red if any others object to it.
Attached Thumbnails
Bike-Bra.jpg  

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Old 09-12-2016, 10:56 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Hope this question isn't too far off topic but wondering if any bike owners bring along a bike that's an electric-assist type. You know, with a lithium battery-powered mini-motor. Curious about brackets, convenience, etc.
With the motor and battery, my e-bike weighs about 20 lb more than without, which makes it difficult to lift onto the roof of my FJ. As a minimum, I take the battery off when travelling (which reduces the bike weight by about 10 lb). Still a bit awkward though to get it onto the roof by myself. If I was travelling much with my e-bike, I would probably start carrying it on the rear bumper of the Escape in a good quality rack.

Old 09-12-2016, 11:00 AM   #30

Quote:

I thought pink was a fine color to highlight the text that I was talking about. I could edit it to red if any others object to it.
Photo shows now.

And, just as long as you weren't insinuating anything, I am good.
Actually, I was good either way. Heck, I have dressed as a woman quite a few times, but Halloween only.....really! LOL
Old 09-12-2016, 11:06 AM   #31

Quote:

Friends of ours pretty much travel all the time with e-bikes with no problem. They used to just carry them on a bike rack on the back, but he has since built an aluminum locker (that he calls a garage) for the rear to house them, and many more goodies he has need to carry along.

Like Dave alluded too, they are way heavier, and you do have to spend a heck of a lot more to get quality bike components along with a good battery/motor system. My friend paid about $2,000 USD for his wife's and $2,600 for his. His is a full suspension mountain bike, and that sucker has to weigh nearly 70 lbs. BUT, they do the trick if you have trouble pedalling long distances, that's for sure. Who knows, I may end up going that way in 10+ years, but I will be looking for light weight.
Old 09-12-2016, 11:40 AM   #32

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21/ 09 2015
I have no problem with my 21 and the Swagman RV2 bike rack. I assume you have a "hanging" type of rack? The spare is welded on. Instead of messing around with that, get a new rack for $175.00 ( and then sell the 2" hitch attachment that you don't need on Craigslist=retail $45.00). I really like my bike rack.
luckyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 10:27 PM   #33

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
I'm a latecomer to this thread, but, having just now read all the posts, let me add my 3/4 cent:
We have hauled bikes on the back of cars and trailers a fair amount over the years. I have almost always taken the pedals that interfere with other things off and screwed them on facing inward. The threads are thus protected, and the pedals are out of the way, but not ever lost in the floor of the car or in a tool box. We haven't yet hauled them on the back of our Escape, but that's the plan, to avoid dinging the spare tire. All it takes is a 15mm open end wrench that's already in my tool box, and about 90 seconds per pedal.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 10:29 PM   #34
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
I'm a latecomer to this thread, but, having just now read all the posts, let me add my 3/4 cent:
We have hauled bikes on the back of cars and trailers a fair amount over the years. I have almost always taken the pedals that interfere with other things off and screwed them on facing inward. The threads are thus protected, and the pedals are out of the way, but not ever lost in the floor of the car or in a tool box. We haven't yet hauled them on the back of our Escape, but that's the plan, to avoid dinging the spare tire. All it takes is a 15mm open end wrench that's already in my tool box, and about 90 seconds per pedal.
That seems an easy fix, and far easier than messing with relocating the spare.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 09-13-2016, 12:21 AM   #35

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
I want the inboard crank arm, or barring that, the pedal against the spare.

For us it wasn't the issue of the pedals clearing the spare, it was the handlebar coming into contact with the back window on roads with severe bumps and frost heaves.

To clear the spare tire you can just reposition the bike or rotate the crank and the pedal clears, no need to remove it. I put the crank arm or pedal against the spare tire on purpose, so when we hit a big whoopie doo and the rack flexes there is no chance of the handle bar hitting the window. We've hauled our bikes thousands of miles on some very rough roads and my spare tire looks brand new, the cover not so much. For us it's cheap insurance. Scott

Scott and Lori
I like fat bikes!
AK snowbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 10:58 PM   #36

Anyone travel with your bike(s) INSIDE the camper? That would solve a lot of the problems mentioned in earlier posts (bugs, road grime, wear and tear on spare tire cover, etc.). If so, how have you successfully stabilized/secured it/them to prevent damage to bike(s) and camper interior? Seems like one should be able to use one or both of the floor-mounted base plates for the table as a base or bases for mounting bicycle fork mounts for inside transport. Again, has anyone out there figured out a good way to carry bikes inside your camper rather than outside?
Old 09-18-2016, 12:25 AM   #37

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
Anyone travel with your bike(s) INSIDE the camper? That would solve a lot of the problems mentioned in earlier posts (bugs, road grime, wear and tear on spare tire cover, etc.).
This has been discussed a few times in FiberglassRV.com ... for those reasons and more:
  • load distribution - roughly in the middle instead of on one end of the trailer
  • security - less accessible for theft
  • doesn't increase trailer length (as a rear rack does) or risk interference with the tow vehicle (as a front rack may)
Of course there are disadvantages, too...
  • must be unloaded at each campsite
  • in the way if you want to get at something in the trailer or use the bathroom at stops while travelling
  • can be awkward to get bikes in door and into place
  • as with any location in or on the trailer, the bikes need to be transferred to some sort of rack on the tow vehicle is driving to a bike trail while leaving the trailer in camp

Quote:
If so, how have you successfully stabilized/secured it/them to prevent damage to bike(s) and camper interior? Seems like one should be able to use one or both of the floor-mounted base plates for the table as a base or bases for mounting bicycle fork mounts for inside transport...
I haven't heard of using the table pedestal base as an anchor (but most trailers discussed in FiberglassRV don't have that style of pedestal), but some sort of plate (typically plywood, fitted to the floor space between cabinets) with fork mounts is one solution.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 12:27 AM   #38

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
There are bike bags for travel that could be used inside the trailer. They can cost plenty though. You could make up something for much less.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 04:10 AM   #39

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I use a folding bike, inside a bag in the truck bed and attach my foldup chairs to the table legs for transit, has worked perfectly for 4 years.
Old 09-18-2016, 07:21 AM   #40

Quote:
Anyone travel with your bike(s) INSIDE the camper? That would solve a lot of the problems mentioned in earlier posts (bugs, road grime, wear and tear on spare tire cover, etc.). If so, how have you successfully stabilized/secured it/them to prevent damage to bike(s) and camper interior? Seems like one should be able to use one or both of the floor-mounted base plates for the table as a base or bases for mounting bicycle fork mounts for inside transport. Again, has anyone out there figured out a good way to carry bikes inside your camper rather than outside?
We are doing it this year with our temporary trailer, as there is no receiver on the back for a rack.

We love having our bikes along, but what a pain in the butt having them stowed inside. They are always in the way for quick stops, and must be kept very clean (tough to do mountain biking), and need to come out at every campsite.

So yes, it works, but I definitely would never use is as a permanent solution, I much prefer them out of the way on a bike rack, where they can be securely locked, and need only come off when needed.

I am of the mind that I do not like anything just hanging around in the trailer not properly stowed, boxes of stuff like booze or shoes, chairs, bikes, etc. These things all need to be stowed away inside the trailer somewhere, or in the tow vehicle. Not that we never have stuff in the aisles or an a bed, I just prefer not to.