Removable power cord. - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-10-2013, 09:32 PM   #21

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
Thanks everyone -- we'll mull it all over. I'm going to be glad when the build sheet is written in stone -- time to start thinking about the trip out west.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 10:29 AM   #22

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
I second the "throw it in the truck" option. We were up in New Hampshire a couple of weeks ago and had to break camp in a cold rain. Coiled and into the truck and I did not have to dry it or worry about bending it into a small space.

Dick
Old 11-11-2013, 11:51 AM   #23

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by captmath View Post
I second the "throw it in the truck" option. We were up in New Hampshire a couple of weeks ago and had to break camp in a cold rain. Coiled and into the truck and I did not have to dry it or worry about bending it into a small space.

Dick
Or throw it in the roof pod along with the water hose, door mat, folding chairs and anything else that's all wet and mucky
Attached Thumbnails
Cove.jpg  
Old 11-11-2013, 01:10 PM   #24

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Nice looking set up,Robert….
Old 11-12-2013, 08:31 AM   #25

Trailer: "Teachers' Pet" our 2014 Escape 19
Rats! I was pretty well set on my options and had decided to skip the removable power cord. Now I'm rethinking...and rethinking...and....

Oh well, it's only money...but on the other, it is money. Rats!

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.
nealmccarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:59 AM   #26

Trailer: Escape
Have it both ways and save some money. Get the standard cord and have the option of only extending as much cord as necessary to reach the power. The standard cord can't easily be lost, forgotten or stolen. Then, if its too cold or muddy or whatever buy an extension cord and adaptor. Leave the cord retracted and run the extension to the power. Just about everyone carries an extension cord anyway in case the power post is too far.
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:43 AM   #27

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by nealmccarter View Post
Rats! I was pretty well set on my options and had decided to skip the removable power cord. Now I'm rethinking...and rethinking...and....

Oh well, it's only money...but on the other, it is money. Rats!
Neal, not a big deal to retrofit if you decide to later. This is what I did last year, and can't believe I didn't do it sooner.

Not sure where it stows on other trailers, but in the 19 it is at the very back corner, and when it gets tangled (which happened a few times), it is really hard to reach. Maybe if it went into a dinette seat, it would not be so bad to deal with.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:04 AM   #28

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
I did this mod on our Casita because I was tired of untangling the cord and unplugging the water heater controls when pulling the cord out. It happened a few times.

I have been under the bed of our 19' working and as Jim says I would not want to go all the way back under there to untangle the cord.

Another one of those mods I love that I could have Escape do for me.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:21 PM   #29

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
removable power cord

After nearly 3 years with the 19 and a fixed cord, we just finished bringing the 21 home (2100 miles and 2 + weeks) with the removable cord. I like the one that will not allow ants to crawl inside and will not get tangled into the tire pump and other items under the bed. The front storage box is perfect for storing the odd stuff that might be dirty, i.e. a power cord, as we don't have a truck or open area on our TV.
Jack of Tucson
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:25 PM   #30

Trailer: "Teachers' Pet" our 2014 Escape 19
Retro fitting may be best for now. Sharon is getting a little snarly about the cost of all the options options we are planning.

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.
nealmccarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 03:22 PM   #31

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
One last question on this topic. I'm picturing the removable power cord being heavy and taking up a lot of room in the storage box -- like a garden hose. Am I wrong?
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 03:25 PM   #32

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
About the same as a 25' garden hose, do you want it inside or outside, that will be the difference.
Old 11-12-2013, 03:39 PM   #33

Mine coils up quite small, and goes into a plastic bin with other setup items. The cable is about 1/2" thick, and mine is about 15' long. Mine might be a bit shorter, seeing it was once attached, and I cut it to make the cord removable. The connectors on the ends are fairly large.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 11-12-2013, 05:07 PM   #34

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
I'm glad I opted for the removable cord after fighting the other kind in my tent trailer. I use a gadget similar to this to handle mine:

XL Cable Wraptor - Marinco CW-T4RR20 - Cordage & Webbing - Camping World
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 05:36 PM   #35

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
I retrofitted the one on my casita. It was pretty simple. The hard part was drilling that huge hole in the side.

Dick
Old 11-12-2013, 07:41 PM   #36

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viajante View Post
Get the standard cord and have the option of only extending as much cord as necessary to reach the power... Then, if its too cold or muddy or whatever buy an extension cord and adaptor. Leave the cord retracted and run the extension to the power. Just about everyone carries an extension cord anyway in case the power post is too far.
That's an interesting idea (and I've actually done this with a different type of RV).

One question: I believe that every Escape model has a 30-amp power cord, so it has enough capacity to run an air conditioner plus some other loads. Do you mean:
  • a 30-amp extension cord, which is quite bulky and heavy (I don't know how many people carry that); or,
  • a common 15-amp household extension cord (plus adapter), which would limit what you can safely run in the trailer?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:07 PM   #37

I do carry a spare 30A extension cord, as well as a short hose and slinky too. Having a light trailer, I often take advantage of how easy it is to maneuver around, and don't always set up along the service connections. I am not in campgrounds much, but when I am I use these extensions about 25% of the time.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:11 PM   #38

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I've already been planning how to angle Toad at the Escape Rally so I can take more advantage of the awning. Last year, we were all sitting at the rear of the trailer in the tiny bit of shade it provided. Forgot I have a heavy duty extension cord along with me.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:40 PM   #39

Trailer: Escape
For me a 15 amp outdoor ext cord plugged into the "household type" receptacle on the power post is sufficient, but I don't run ac. I have used an electric heater without a problem. At a campground this summer where the level areas were far from power other campers were running ac on what looked like ordinary ext cords.

I think the point re removeable power cords is the same: there are advantages to an attached cord that can be augmented with an extension cord, and most campers will need an extension at some time even if they have removeable power cords. With ac it might be good for the ext cord to be 30 amps. (There are also 20 amp cords.)

In my 15B the standard cord stores neatly under the dinette and I find it convenient, out of the way, and out of mind. You probably can't go wrong either way.
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:50 PM   #40
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Decisions, decisions, decisions. For those concerned about bugs entering the power cord hole in the door, Larry Gamble is now carrying a solution. It's so new, it's not yet on his website. Here's a not very good picture too. AND, Frank is modifing his Parkliner (on FiberglassRV) from a fixed to a removable power cord... with lots of pictures! Frank & Gail's ParkLiner - Page 9 - Fiberglass RV

So, I'm waiting on this option until I decide I need it. YMMV
Attached Thumbnails
ElectricalDoor.jpg  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote