Removable shelves in wardrobe closet - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 02-29-2012, 03:32 PM   #1

Removable shelves in wardrobe closet

Has anyone modified their hanging closet? I read that some people opted to get shelves installed rather than keeping the hanging closet. I was wondering if shelving could be installed but easily enough be removed so you could at times use it as a hanging closet. During the cool season we need jackets or sweaters, or whatever to hang up but during the warm season we'd rather fold our garments and put them on shelves. Any ideas?
Roger from Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 04:44 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Re: Removable shelves in wardrobe closet

Roger, you could drill a series of 5mm holes to use shelf pins for adjustable shelves, just like in your kitchen cabinets. There are clips available that would hold them from top and bottom too, just in case it got bouncy in there. On the off chance that drilling to the furnace side (as in the 19) would jeopardize the seal to there, you could just use some pre-drilled 1/4" thick plywood (or MDF) strips and glue them in.

Here is a link to the clips I was talking about. Click on image below.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:08 PM   #3

Trailer: 2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA

I made a shelving unit out of 1/2' Baltic Birch, (glued and screwed together), that took up 1/2 the space in the closet so I can hang clothes and also fold some as well. The whole unit just screws into place in the closet when needed and comes out in a couple of minutes if the whole hanging closet is needed.

Barry

2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA / 2017 F150, 2.7 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercab
Former trailers: 2005 Escape 17B / 1972 Boler 13'
barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:23 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: Roger from Florida... In our 5.0 shelves in the closet were not necessary. With all the space above the bed on both sides for folded clothes and one shelf in the top of the closet for hats, our hanging space is used for shirts, blouses, jackets and pants. We also use the bottom of the pantry for footwear etc. One thing the 5.0 isn't short of is storage space. After 4 seasons of camping we still have spaces we haven't even used yet!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:36 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

Like Alf, we have not filled all the spaces in our 19 yet. We did take out some things we thought would be nice to have, but never did use. I imagine once we start going on extended trips, these spaces will fill.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:27 PM   #6

I made shelves in my 19.6 closet. Folded shirts and sweatshirts fit nicely and other things.
Chuck
Old 03-02-2012, 10:14 AM   #7

Trailer: Escape 19, 2018: Last Best Escape

As others have said, we would rarely need hanging closet space while camping. In our SittEscape, I mounted 4 36 inch adjustable shelf standards [http://www.amazon.com/Shelf-Standard...04490&sr=8-13], two on each side of 17B wardrobe. Then I created shelves to fit out of 3/8 inch oak plywood, covering the front exposed plywood edge with trim molding. All the shelves are both removable and adjustable. We found some nice, durable plastic storage baskets that fit on the shelves perfectly, allowing us easy access and quick loading/unloading. They work great for us.

Klaus

Honda Pilot 2019
ksitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:36 AM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21'

We had a rod in our Casita closet. On a particularly bumpy road one time, some of our clothes fell off, hangers and all. Even though I had our clothes clipped to the hanger, that didn't help. We opted to have shelves instead of a rod in our Escape. Jackets and sweaters fold up to a smaller space and they look great. A few fold marks is nothing compared to a waded up mess. We get a ton of clothes in our closet with the shelves, great for a longer trip.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:28 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 E19

I talked to Reace about installing shelves in my closet in my 17B and he suggested trying the following, which I am very happy with: http://www.amazon.com/6-Shelves-Hang...1526430&sr=1-6

It works perfectly and I also still have room for hanging coats
azutco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:28 PM   #10
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA

I have an tension rod in the bathroom. When I have a wet coat, etc. it's easy to hang it in the bathroom and let it drip. Better there than inside the trailer someplace else. I use the bathroom as my "closet" because the closet now has shelves... needed that for my coffee maker, etc. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:50 PM   #11

Trailer: 2012 Escape 17B

And there's always the drawer option, if you're still at a point where you're discussing the options with Reace and Tammy. We just got our 17B, which has 4 beautiful drawers in that wardrobe space (thanks to others on this forum for the inspiration), and I know it'll probably be one of the best decisions we made. We'll be able to fit so much more in there, and have easier access to it all.

medora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:45 PM   #12

Trailer: 2011 Escape 17B

I helped a customer at HD with this issue - it worked well so I am doing it in our wardrobe. Rubbermaid makes a wire shelf support pole that comes in 2 pieces. The shelf clips screw onto the pole so you can get flip one half around, figure out the height you need to fit inside the cabinet and cut the poles if necessary. Remember the clips have to be at the same height or the shelves will be wonky! I put 3 poles across the back, evenly spaced with the clips facing the door and 2 in the front, to the sides of the opening with the clips facing the back. With the wire shelving cut to size, you can attach the back into the clips then the front edge onto the clips. The wire shelving itself keeps the poles stable and no holes to drill. Just remember to check the depth of the cabinet first as the back wall is slightly curved. The shelving comes in 12", 16" or 20" depth and a linen shelf works best.
Attached Thumbnails
Home Depot Presentation1.jpg  
Attached Images

LBaranyai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:59 AM   #13

We've found the "overhang" on our 5.0 very useful for hanging wet clothes, dog leashes, etc. I attach a couple of suction cup hooks and a small shower basket under there to keep the wet stuff out of the trailer. Its also a good place to keep muddy shoes, etc.

Dave
Old 04-01-2012, 04:24 PM   #14

You guys just saved me a lot of work ! The link above to the organizer at amazon showed out of stock....however, I found this suggestion:

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...?sku=17038184&

.....and so I just went and bought one and put it in the ward closet of my not-a-Escape trailer. Looks like it will work great....and it was only twenty bucks and it's pretty lightweight....which is always a good thing. Thanks !

george
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:29 PM   #15

We bought something similar to these:

http://www.target.com/p/Sterilite-Wh...i_detailbutton

stackable drawers that fit into our wardrobe.. They worked great..

favorite quote: "Put the candle back"
JeffZ is offline   Reply With Quote