Removing vent over stove top - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 11-18-2018, 06:34 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 17 B second generation 2016
Removing vent over stove top

We have a 2016 17B and are considering removing the range hood and fan and wonder if anyone has experience removing the vent that is mounted in the side wall. We have gotten so far as to have removed the hood and tried to remove the vent. It seems to be glued on? We removed the screws and caulk at the top but it seems firmly held in place.

If anyone has any insights on this, it would be appreciated.

We are considering replacing it with a small window.

thank you, Howard
Old 05-02-2021, 06:27 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 19 foot
I also want to remove the vent so I can replace it on my 2015 Escape 19. I don't think it is glued in place but the sealant is very, uh, good. How does one remove something that has been installed with whatever sealant Escape uses?
Old 05-02-2021, 06:51 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 15A
There was some type of sealant around the wall vent (between the metal hood/vent and the exterior vent) which let go fairly easily when I removed the vent hood on our 15A a couple years ago. It was non-eventful removing it...
Old 05-02-2021, 06:55 PM   #4

I removed the screws holding the vent cover in place, but was unable to budge the vent cover to remove it. In my case, this is "eventful." Any thoughts on how to loosen the sealant without damaging the fiberglass?
Old 05-02-2021, 09:55 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 15A
Ok, so you removed all the screws holding the hood assembly to the upper cabinets (along with electrical connections) and you can't pull the hood away from the wall: Correct?

I suggest taking a hair dryer to gently soften the butyl tape (at least that is what was between the hood and the fiberglass shell of our 15A). Or if that doesn't work you might have to use a thin "putty" knife between the sheetmetal hood and the fiberglass wall to persuade the adhesive to loosen.
Old 05-02-2021, 10:01 PM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstreight View Post
I suggest taking a hair dryer to gently soften the butyl tape (at least that is what was between the hood and the fiberglass shell of our 15A). Or if that doesn't work you might have to use a thin "putty" knife between the sheetmetal hood and the fiberglass wall to persuade the adhesive to loosen.
A PLASTIC putty knife... no metal. You don't want to score the gelcoat. Even a plastic eating knife may work.

The OP is requesting info in removing the exterior stove vent. NOT the stove hood.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 07:32 AM   #7

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Donna is correct as the OP has stated that the range hood is already removed. And I fully agree about using plastic rather than anything steel. ETI uses a product called Proflex manufactured by Dicor. It can get very hard but, unlike silicon used by many trailer manufacturers, Proflex will bond to itself. While you will want to remove all of the residue after the vent is removed, if it or another vent is (re)installed and sealed, Proflex is the sealant of choice.
Old 05-03-2021, 09:48 AM   #8

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
My exterior stove vent replacement process

I had to get creative, destructive and physical as the old sealant was tough stuff. I used butyl tape with the replacement.

My process:

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...-16324-58.html

for old vent removal:

A Dremel with an abrasive wheel was used to cut through a portion and pliers used to pull off sections of the old vent cover.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 10:40 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABBERDABBER View Post
I had to get creative, destructive and physical as the old sealant was tough stuff. I used butyl tape with the replacement.

My process:

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...-16324-58.html

for old vent removal:

A Dremel with an abrasive wheel was used to cut through a portion and pliers used to pull off sections of the old vent cover.
Wow, I knew the sealant was tough. Yes, Butyl tape seems like a better solution and it lasted for decades on my prior vintage trailer. Thanks for the link to your prior notes, could not find it with a search.
Old 05-07-2021, 08:55 AM   #10

Trailer: 19 Escape, arrived March 2021
I had to remove the fridge roof vent cover recently on my new 19. Dustin (at Escape) told me to use a heat gun to soften the caulking covering all the screws into the roof. It made digging out the caulk extremely easy.

I obviously don't know if the same caulk is used everywhere on these trailers, but it's worth a try. "Judicious use" of the heat gun is key! Don't overdo it.
thunderworks is offline   Reply With Quote