Replacing the shower drain - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-15-2017, 09:27 PM   #21

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
So there is a way to close the shower drain? From the inside? Or from outside?
Mandomary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 09:34 PM   #22

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
There is a basket strainer on the shower floor drain that when twisted, closes the drain opening.
tdf-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 09:44 PM   #23

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
With all the good features and upgrades Reace has done on the Escapes, and his flexibility with changes and mods it's almost shocking that he hasn't upgraded to Installing Hepvos as Casita has done, and he won't even install them on request. Quite surprising and disappointing.

Walt
It is my understanding that Hepvos don't last forever.... or at least as long as a standard trap.

So that may well be a part of the reason......

I also understand that there may be "code" reasons not to.

plus if a conventional system is well designed, then maybe it is a solution in search of a problem, when it comes to Hepvos & ETI?

Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 10:20 PM   #24
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Because I put in a bigger and deeper sink in the kitchen in Ten Forward, I really wanted a hepvos to do away with the J trap. It takes up a lot of valuable under storage space under the sink. I asked ETI about a hepvos since they were installing the sink. That was a "no." AND, no need to pour RV antifreeze into the trap, since there really isn't one. Just need enough anti-freeze in the gray tank to keep the valve from freezing. Changing the J trap to a hepvo in on my future " mod" list... maybe.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 10:24 PM   #25

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Lots of people have been told no to Hepvos, but nobody has posted the reason that ETI won't install it. Somebody must have asked why.
Old 01-16-2017, 02:03 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post
I also understand that there may be "code" reasons not to
The RV use of a hepvo in Canada is certified to CSA Standard Z240.3.2-08.
Old 01-16-2017, 05:08 AM   #27

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
With all the good features and upgrades Reace has done on the Escapes, and his flexibility with changes and mods it's almost shocking that he hasn't upgraded to Installing Hepvos as Casita has done, and he won't even install them on request. Quite surprising and disappointing.

Walt
I know I am going to get accused of cheerleader status, so I will grab my pom-poms and make this post.

Walt, I would venture a guess that Casita would not be willing to do many of the custom options Escape would allow too. Not saying this is right or wrong on Escapes part, just musing......

I cannot speak for Reace's reasoning with what optional features he will, and will not, do to the trailers, but I do know he is eliminating lots he has done in the past. We don't see it here on the forum to the same degree, but they do get some folks that come here, read things, and get worried they may miss some detail they should deal with at the ordering stage, and want to get just about every listed option, and most custom options they hear about on the forums. This just is not possible given time restraints that Escape now has in production.

Case in point, he mentioned how crazy he thought it was how adding reinforcement to walls has become. While there are a few good reasons, they have people that were all worried they can't mount anything, so wanted additional reinforcing in every wall. I got it in none, just don't see the need myself.

With as busy as they are now, they have had to streamline production. With the addition of added staff, the training required to do some modifications just would not be reasonable. Who knows, maybe things slow down some and they will have time to deal with these kinda things better.

There were lots (probably 6 or so) things I was hoping they would do that he refused to do. No complaints, I just moved on with plans to do them myself if I really wanted. This said, there were a bunch of requests that were granted. The attitude I carried into the build sheet was I knew what I wanted to have done with the trailer in the end, and just requested that they do what they could to help me achieve this, and beyond that I was willing to do what I wanted myself.

I have looked at the Hepvo valve, and kinda like the idea. It is not on my list to do right now, but if I wanted it sure looks like basic handyman stuff if you really wanted to install one.

Maybe if the majority of folks make the request, who knows.....
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 07:39 AM   #28

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Reace told me, that a main consideration of custom requests, is: Will it slow down or disrrupt the production line? They have lots of anxious folks awaiting trailers, and to me, it sure would not be fair to push others further back to accommodate special requests.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 07:45 AM   #29

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Try to add one extra 120v outlet to a $75,000 Airstream in production, you will not get too far...similarly to reversing a sink. They will not do any changes, zilch.
Old 01-16-2017, 07:48 AM   #30

As far as the stock drain, it is a screw down stopper, one merely has to reach down and screw the stopper to prevent any backwash which has only happened once to me in 5 years of using an Escape, another reason for the raised wood floor owner modification.
Old 01-16-2017, 07:55 AM   #31

Another thought here is replacement, for those with the foam spray it would not be easy, and they do need replacing after awhile whereas the stock does not wear out.
Old 01-16-2017, 09:08 AM   #32

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Considering all the option already available, and the fact that still quite some modifications are possible, even with the increased production, the Escape trailer is one of the most unique on the market.
ETI's costumer service, before, during and after production, tops this off.
Old 01-16-2017, 09:10 AM   #33

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
We used our shower frequently and never had any smell coming up from the shower drain. We only closed the drain when towing, but since we always tried to empty waste tanks before towing any distance it made little difference if it was closed or not.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
Old 01-16-2017, 09:51 AM   #34

Please don't misunderstand why this thread was started. I wanted to know what was involved in replacing the shower drain. Sooner or later the drain is going to wear out, begin to not seal and would need replacement. In my case, it would be nice to replace it with a SS bar drain. CPAHarley2008 has a good idea that I hadn't considered which is to just remove the basket and cover over it with Drydek mat.

Installing a hepvo is a personal choice. Previous Casita owners (there seems to be of lot of us!) have had hepvo and are used to their convenience. Installing one on the Escape (at least on the 21) is about a one hour task at most.

I mentioned that I was installing one only as the reason for changing the drain - not to start a discussion on why Escape won't put them in. Escape has their hands full with all the orders incoming because of the exchange rates - limiting custom work is more than reasonable given the circumstances. I'm surprised at the number of options they accommodate now and fully understand their not wanting to add to the list.

If anyone is interested, I will start a new thread later with a how to on installing a hepvo.

Thanks,
Old 01-16-2017, 10:23 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
If anyone is interested, I will start a new thread later with a how to on installing a hepvo...
Great idea for all interested.

Old 01-16-2017, 10:31 AM   #36

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Great idea for all interested.
Agreed. Any posts on modifications like this are always great to hear about.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 10:33 AM   #37

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post

Case in point, he mentioned how crazy he thought it was how adding reinforcement to walls has become. While there are a few good reasons, they have people that were all worried they can't mount anything, so wanted additional reinforcing in every wall. I got it in none, just don't see the need myself.
Jim, we are one of those crazy customers. We had every wall that they would reinforce, reinforced. Not due to hanging anything, as we haven't and probably won't. For us, it was about the flimsy feel of the walls without the reinforcement (Same "feel" that stickies have, which we did not like). Of course, this is our personal opinion. To us, it has the illusion of a more quality "feel" to have solid walls.

And with 2 kids and two dogs, we were sure that at some point there would be someone inadvertently using the wall as a emergency brace.

Not saying anyone has to think the same, but we are completely happy that we got them.
nathanj04011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 10:55 AM   #38

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Just my opinion but I am also one that likes to reinforced some walls and the ease of hanging something where I want it a year down the road and not be limited to where there is a stud. We did it on our first Escape and again on this one. I did not do all the walls but did several. If you are not worried about the extra weight which I am not I just don't see a problem giving myself more options down the road, I am not a carpenter and don't want to mess with it. It has gotten much more expensive over the years to have ETI do it but I fully understand that custom work cost money and don't have a problem with it.
Old 01-16-2017, 11:21 AM   #39

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kountrykamper View Post
Just my opinion but I am also one that likes to reinforced some walls and the ease of hanging something where I want it a year down the road and not be limited to where there is a stud. We did it on our first Escape and again on this one. I did not do all the walls but did several. If you are not worried about the extra weight which I am not I just don't see a problem giving myself more options down the road, I am not a carpenter and don't want to mess with it. It has gotten much more expensive over the years to have ETI do it but I fully understand that custom work cost money and don't have a problem with it.
Can also add us to the list . We have reinforced walls and are glad we do . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 11:22 AM   #40

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
Please don't misunderstand why this thread was started. I wanted to know what was involved in replacing the shower drain. Sooner or later the drain is going to wear out, begin to not seal and would need replacement. In my case, it would be nice to replace it with a SS bar drain. CPAHarley2008 has a good idea that I hadn't considered which is to just remove the basket and cover over it with Drydek mat.

Installing a hepvo is a personal choice. Previous Casita owners (there seems to be of lot of us!) have had hepvo and are used to their convenience. Installing one on the Escape (at least on the 21) is about a one hour task at most.

I mentioned that I was installing one only as the reason for changing the drain - not to start a discussion on why Escape won't put them in. Escape has their hands full with all the orders incoming because of the exchange rates - limiting custom work is more than reasonable given the circumstances. I'm surprised at the number of options they accommodate now and fully understand their not wanting to add to the list.

If anyone is interested, I will start a new thread later with a how to on installing a hepvo.

Thanks,
very interested . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote