Retro fit a cot? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 12-05-2017, 09:58 AM   #1

Trailer: 21’ 2020
Retro fit a cot?

If this already has been discussed somewhere, I apologize. My searches came up empty.

Can a cot be retrofitted into a 19' Escape?

If not, has anyone come up with ideas to add another sleeping platform for a child?
Thanks!
Artlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 11:25 AM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artlady View Post
If this already has been discussed somewhere, I apologize. My searches came up empty.

Can a cot be retrofitted into a 19' Escape?

If not, has anyone come up with ideas to add another sleeping platform for a child?
Thanks!
Retrofitting a cot would be a major modification, because sockets for the cot poles are screwed in to wooden supports which must be glassed in to the shell during construction.

I think a better option there would be a gaucho bunk, if Escape will do it. Essentially the back wall cushion of the dinette is hinged and tilts up to form a single skinny bunk. It's not on the options list, but you could always ask.
Old 12-05-2017, 12:44 PM   #3

Clever modifications...

Rb, I appreciate your response and idea. I'll pass that information on to a potential buyer who asked .
I know there are many clever people on this forum who have installed some marvelous modifications. I was just wondering if anyone had come up with a novel way to handle this.

I thought perhaps an unobtrusive freestanding but secure frame with a hinged cot like you suggested would work.

Along these lines, I wondered if ETI ever considered trying a Murphy bed-type system to free up some room in the cabin? Or would the fiberglass shell obviate such a structure? Perhaps the amount of extra walking space wouldn't be that much anyway...

BTW, I can't wait to get to SA!!! It's a chilly 31° here today.
Thanks again!
Old 12-05-2017, 02:44 PM   #4

Trailer: None now
My Google ability must be off today. I looked and can't figure the search terms needed to bring this back up. Back when we were considering options I looked online at a folding cot someone fit over a rear dinette in their egg. It had 4 wood post that fit into the benches and the folding camp cot mounted onto it. We decided instead to add the cot supports in case we or a future owner ever decide to add an additional sleeping area.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 03:01 PM   #5

Wetzk- that's similar to what I had envisioned. Thanks for clarifying it, it's a brilliant idea! Thanks so much for your response.
Old 12-05-2017, 03:14 PM   #6

Trailer: escape 21, 2018
A friend uses this bunk bed system in her home for visiting grandkids, but I am wondering if something like this could work: https://smile.amazon.com/Disc-O-Bed-...able+bunk+beds. The beds come in various sizes to accomodate kids vs. adults. If the link doesn't work it is the Disc-0-bed Youth Kid-o-bunk on Amazon. The beds fold up for storage.

snowmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 03:21 PM   #7

Snowmtn, wow! What a unique and clever idea! I'm sure this could be a great alternative inside or outside of the trailer. What will they think of next? I love the multi-use utility of this. Thanks so much!
Old 12-05-2017, 08:15 PM   #8

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Greg A’s PVC cot:
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f9...tml#post204381
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 11:15 AM   #9

Trailer: shopping
Sorry to resurrect a long-deceased thread, but I am wondering if anybody has thought of other creative ways to fit a sleeping space for a 5th person (beyond the 2 in the permanent bed and 2 in the converted dinette) in a 19 or 21 that did not come cot-ready from the factory. We need to easily access the dinette during the day, so Greg A's PVC solution, while impressive, wouldn't work (and I don't think there's space above the permanent bed to do this there). Perhaps it would be possible to bolt an anchor (e.g. 2x4 or 2x6) to the trailer frame above the seats on either side of the dinette and install brackets to achieve something similar to what Escape does with their cot ready option. If anybody has tried something like this, has a compelling reason it would NOT work, and/or has other creative solutions I'd greatly appreciate your input!

Thanks,
Ben
sben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 12:10 PM   #10

Trailer: SOLD - 2022 Escape 21NE
I have a 21NE, that came "cot-ready". The bolts that hold the supports for the cross members are actually just below the top of the seat back cushions, and there is very little space between the top of the cushion and the bottom of hte window frame - not nearly enough for a 2x4. Also, it would require removal of the vinyl wall covering to get to the framework behind it.

Basically, I don't think it's a practical approach. I suggest that you order your trailer "cot-ready" and save the hassle.
Tosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 12:23 PM   #11

Trailer: shopping
Super helpful perspective as a 21NE cot ready owner, thank you! I'm beginning to reach the same conclusion as you.

Thanks,
Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tosh View Post
I have a 21NE, that came "cot-ready". The bolts that hold the supports for the cross members are actually just below the top of the seat back cushions, and there is very little space between the top of the cushion and the bottom of hte window frame - not nearly enough for a 2x4. Also, it would require removal of the vinyl wall covering to get to the framework behind it.

Basically, I don't think it's a practical approach. I suggest that you order your trailer "cot-ready" and save the hassle.
sben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 12:28 PM   #12

Trailer: 2023 E19
Just for some inspiration, look at new bunk bed option offered on the 2023 NuCamp Tab 400 that's integrated into the dinette. I think of it as a more refined variation to the gaucho bunk that's available on the 17 :

https://nucamprv.com/blog/2023-tab-4...igned-dinette/

If one was willing to substantially rebuild the dinette, I could see how it might be possible to retrofit a similar design into a 19 or 21NE...at least if it already had the cot-ready side wall reinforcements installed. Agree it would be more challenging to install in a trailer lacking the cot-ready option without major surgery to the side walls.
Selkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 02:35 PM   #13

Trailer: 21
One can make a folding frame that would be easy to put up n take down when not needed
Old 04-27-2023, 06:05 PM   #14

Trailer: 2014 21' Escape
Have you done any youtube searche, bunk bed ideas for RV? I think when there's a will there's a way.

Smooth travels.

Steve
stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 08:11 PM   #15

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
I tried to build bunks for the front of our 2007 17B. There isn’t enough height between the bench and bulkhead cabinets. After maching up a bunk and realizing it wouldn’t work, I abandoned the idea. By that point my kids were more interested in sleeping in a tent.

Really the gaucho bumk that Escape has as an option is really only good for kids younger than 10.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...age-11059.html