RIP Millenicom - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 10-18-2014, 03:18 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
RIP Millenicom

For those using or thinking of using Millenicom as their Hotspot provider (they provided 20GB per month on the Verizon network for $89.99 per month) they are no longer in business. It appears that Verizon has canceled their support and those already using the service will be invited to join Verizon.
Old 10-18-2014, 05:19 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
....and those already using the service will be invited to join Verizon.
Don't you just love it when a carrier forces you to move to another option and then calls it an "invitation"?
Old 10-18-2014, 06:31 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Jon beat me to the punch. I received this message yesterday after submitting a trouble ticket to Millenicom:

--
This is to correct an earlier email that was sent to you regarding your service. Verizon Wireless, the carrier providing your wireless service, may be contacting you about options for your ongoing service. Going forward your relationship will be directly with Verizon Wireless. Millenicom will no longer have any role concerning your account and Millenicom does not now or will have any relationship with Verizon Wireless. Thank you and we apologize for any inconvenience this notice may cause.
--

I use(d) Millenicom at home and on the road. There is a Verizon tower one mile from my house and I'd like to keep using the hotspot for all my Internet service, assuming Verizon offers a reasonable plan.

Mike Lewis
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 11:34 AM   #4

Jon-- Have you or anyone else with Millenicom service been contacted by Verizon regarding continuing hotspot service? I haven't heard anything from Verizon and it's getting toward the end of the month. I was hoping for a special offer from Verizon as their standard hotspot service is quite a bit more expensive per GB than Millenicom's.
Old 10-23-2014, 12:18 PM   #5

I haven't heard of anyone being contacted, and the latest post from RV Mobile Internet (RVers that keep a good handle on the demise) haven't either. Their latest post has suggestions on what you can do.

Since I was planning to suspend my Millenicom account at the end of the month until next spring, I'm going to wait. I don't have any other Verizon accounts, and their data only plan is a pretty expensive option. Mt contract for my cell phone with AT&T runs out at the end of November, so I'll look at my options in the Spring.
Old 10-23-2014, 02:25 PM   #6

Jon,

Thanks for the link. I guess I'll wait and see what happens.
Old 10-23-2014, 07:20 PM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I've followed Chris and Cherie of Technomadia for a number of years. They are (were) huge fans of Millenicom. That couple is living the life I wish I could... check out their blog for current info: October Mobile Internet Cellular Shake-Up | Technomadia
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 05:18 PM   #8

Just an update on dealing with the demise of Millenicom. I received a message on my Jetpack to call an 800 number to talk with a customer service rep about transferring to Verizon. Tried 4 times yesterday, each had me on hold for over an hour, then announced there was a system problem & hung up.

This morning I got through to a knowledgable, friendly CSR after 30 minutes, and switched. Since the only Verizon account I have is a pre pay iPad, they had to start a new account, which had a few glitches, but after everything was done, I now have a 20GB Verizon account for my Jetpack at $99.99 per month (plus fees & taxes). Since I'm home until Spring (where I have Time Warner Roadrunner internet service) I immediately suspended the account. According to the rep, you can suspend & restart the account as often as you want, but only for a total of 180 days per year. Suspensions run 90 days unless you restart sooner.

According to the rep, the period for making this transfer from Millenicom runs until November 8th. After that you must take one of the existing Verizon data plans. I did find a less expensive data plan from AT&T, however my AT&T iPhone often did not have coverage in the areas I like to travel.

So, I'm still sorry to see Millenicom go, but I'll still have internet for most of my travels.
Old 10-30-2014, 05:46 PM   #9
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I did find a less expensive data plan from AT&T, however my AT&T iPhone often did not have coverage in the areas I like to travel.
This brings up a good point. I hear arguments all the time that "AT&T is the best" or "Verizon is the best". That depends entirely on where you live and where you travel.
Old 10-30-2014, 09:22 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
You're right Rob, although statistically Verizon does have the best nationwide coverage- especially for data. I do have an AT&T phone that I activate a prepaid for over air when we think we need it(carry extra simcards). Lot of different options, but mainly we want voice & text if we're in an area for awhile where only they have signal. Usually in that situation they don't have good data coverage anyway.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 10:29 AM   #11

I had Millenicom service and I made the switch this morning. I was startled when a Verizon rep answered right away; I was not put on hold. The offer was 20GB / month at $99 and change, plus taxes and fees, which she couldn't give me an estimate for.

The Verizon rep asked me if 20 GB was right for me, or if I needed more or less. I can get by with 15 GB / month, so I asked for less. She said they have a plan for 14 GB / month for ..... $100. Savvy consumer that I am, I went for the 20 GB / $99 plan. :-) She told me the price would stay the same as long as I didn't make a change to the plan.
Old 10-31-2014, 12:40 PM   #12

I suspect they got enough complaints that they trained more customer reps on making the switch. When you give the Millenicom phone number of your Jetpack, they route you to specially trained reps. When she answered the phone I did get a laugh from her when I asked if she was real.

Then again, it was a Verizon cell phone customer service rep - from all the complaints I've heard about them, maybe you were just lucky!
Old 10-31-2014, 03:54 PM   #13

Yeah, I guess I got lucky. I was tempted to wait until the last minute, before the 11/8 cutoff, but decided not to because (a) the hotspot is currently my only Internet access and (b) I'm traveling right now.

I have used Millenicom as my sole ISP for several months now and the hotspot works pretty well. I keep in my truck, and wired a power supply to it with a timer to charge it a few hours every day. The only problem I had was a ruined hotspot battery. I figured it was due to overcharging, which is why I put the timer in, but a EE friend said it might have failed due to the heat in the cab that day. I bought a spare battery just in case it happens again.
Old 10-31-2014, 04:14 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
Yeah, I guess I got lucky. I was tempted to wait until the last minute, before the 11/8 cutoff, but decided not to because (a) the hotspot is currently my only Internet access and (b) I'm traveling right now.

I have used Millenicom as my sole ISP for several months now and the hotspot works pretty well. I keep in my truck, and wired a power supply to it with a timer to charge it a few hours every day. The only problem I had was a ruined hotspot battery. I figured it was due to overcharging, which is why I put the timer in, but a EE friend said it might have failed due to the heat in the cab that day. I bought a spare battery just in case it happens again.
Do you have it in a Wilson Sleek? A number of users of the combination of the Sleek & the 291 Jetpack (including me) have had an expanded battery to the point where it popped the back off the Jetpack. The conclusion was overheating due to the heat produced by the Sleek...
Old 10-31-2014, 05:36 PM   #15

No, I don't have a Wilson Sleek, which I'm presuming is one of their cellular amps. I have only the optional unpowered external antenna, mounted on the roof of my truck. A Verizon tower is one mile from my house, so I figured that would be sufficient for home use.

My battery burst as you described, popping off the back of the jetpack. I had a power line from my truck battery to a 12V socket, then a 5V USB charger from the socket to the jetpack. Initially I left the power on all the time, figuring I wouldn't run my truck's battery down as long as I drove it at least every couple of days, which I do. One hot July day I didn't drive at all, which is rare, and the next day I moved the rear headrest of the truck and saw that the battery had popped the cover off the jetpack. It was still functioning, and may have been that way for days, for all I know. I ordered two more batteries for the jetpack. I also installed a 12V timer in the power circuit in the truck to charge the jetpack a few hours in the morning and again in the evening, so it wouldn't be charging all the time. So far it seems to be okay.
Old 11-08-2014, 03:02 PM   #16

I have been trying to register my account on Verizon's website, and I'm having problems. The webpage seems defective-- it won't accept my zip code or last four of my SSN, so it won't let me register. Has anyone else converting from Millenicom to Verizon had this problem?
Old 11-08-2014, 05:13 PM   #17

I did my conversion over the phone at the 800 # that appeared on my Jetpack.
Old 11-08-2014, 09:00 PM   #18

I did this as well; I was just trying to register on Verizon's webpage to view my account, as the rep on the phone said that I could. The service works so far, but the jetpack's webpage shows 0 GB used, which makes me wonder if something is amiss.