Secondary Power Inlet - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 03-20-2016, 09:22 PM   #1
T&R

Trailer: "Olaf" 2015 21'..... 2015 Tundra CrewMax
Secondary Power Inlet

When heat is needed while camping with hookups we run a small electric space heater to not use the propane furnace. To not have to worry about tripping any circuit breakers I installed a secondary power inlet with a dedicated receptacle. So while setting up when I know we'll need the space heater I connect both the 30 amp service and another 15 amp extension cord from the site power pedestal.

I purchased this power inlet from Amazon. Installation was straightforward and I was able to run the Romex from under the dinette into the space underneath the fridge alongside the factory wiring and pass through. There was plenty of space where I mounted the receptacle and easily verified this first by using a mirror in the cabinet space under the fridge as there is no top to the compartment.

It works pretty slick and we don't have to worry about running the space heater with a coffee pot, curling iron or any other high draw devices.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4732a.JPG   IMG_4726a.jpg   IMG_4727a.jpg   IMG_4730a.JPG  
T&R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 10:16 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I doubt you would even need both connected, as the A/C and heater are likely the two largest draws, and both would never be on at the same time.

It does look like a dandy idea for a quick connect at home, or even a campsite if you know your draw would be low.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 01:02 AM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I did the same but for a different reason. My secondary power cord is only to power the winter heat lamp. I'd rather have the entire trailer electrically shut down for storage. My solar panel keeps the batteries charged.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 01:33 AM   #4

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
We kept tripping the breaker in the am when using the microwave and the heater at the same time. In the TA there are 2 15A 120vac circuits that supply receptacles, fix was to hook the heater to the other circuit.

The hard part will be remembering to it.
Old 03-21-2016, 08:32 AM   #5

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19' (sold), Escape 5.0 as of August 2019 (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by T&R View Post
When heat is needed while camping with hookups we run a small electric space heater to not use the propane furnace. To not have to worry about tripping any circuit breakers I installed a secondary power inlet with a dedicated receptacle. So while setting up when I know we'll need the space heater I connect both the 30 amp service and another 15 amp extension cord from the site power pedestal.

I purchased this power inlet from Amazon. Installation was straightforward and I was able to run the Romex from under the dinette into the space underneath the fridge alongside the factory wiring and pass through. There was plenty of space where I mounted the receptacle and easily verified this first by using a mirror in the cabinet space under the fridge as there is no top to the compartment.

It works pretty slick and we don't have to worry about running the space heater with a coffee pot, curling iron or any other high draw devices.

This has happened to us at least twice when running the microwave and space heater at the same time. Good idea! I will add it to my "to do" list. Thanks!
JStelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 09:04 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
When looking for electric heaters I try to get ones that use 10 or less amps to avoid overloads, but then again I also use the stove and furnace because I do not have a microwave. I have had good results from installing these in my last 4 campers Robot Check. No cords no worries.
Old 03-21-2016, 09:38 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
When looking for electric heaters I try to get ones that use 10 or less amps to avoid overloads, but then again I also use the stove and furnace because I do not have a microwave. I have had good results from installing these in my last 4 campers Robot Check. No cords no worries.
I too am looking at something similar. Plus have no microwave, so the chance of overloading a circuit is slim. Still, I like the idea of at least two different selections for settings. Not sure now who it was here, but someone recommended using a toekick (kickspace) heater. My thought at the present is to put it in one of the stair risers, either the first or second one.

After lots, and lots, of researching, one I really like is the Myson Whispa E50. It has switches on the front that turns on either one of two elements, or both if you should really need it. I really like this feature. The elements are 800W each, so I doubt the second one would rarely be on, other than a quick warm up cold temps.
Myson E50 Electric Kickspace Heater. Myson Whispa E50 Floor Toe Kick

Still not certain I will go with a built-in heater, as to date I have had little opportunity to use one, but that may change in the future. Either way I will likely have the 14/2 wire run, and would definitely use a wall thermostat to reduce the cycling that the built in ones are known for, plus have better temperature control.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 03-21-2016, 09:57 AM   #8

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Jim,
I added a toggle switch to this heater and could switch between 500 and 1000 watts, just depends on how much juice you want to use. The nice thing about the built in is just that, no forgetting the heater or having to put it away, it is always there.
Old 03-21-2016, 11:06 AM   #9

I always had my little cube heater with me, it stayed in the trailer. I still like the idea of being built in. A bit less fuss, for sure. Good idea adding the toggle. I assume like many other models, you have to otherwise rewire connections in the heater.
Old 03-21-2016, 11:46 AM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I always had my little cube heater with me, it stayed in the trailer. I still like the idea of being built in. A bit less fuss, for sure. Good idea adding the toggle. I assume like many other models, you have to otherwise rewire connections in the heater.
Hi: Jim Bennett... Seabreeze makes an off the wall cordless heater. All you need is a plug in free of obstructions. Alf Electric Fans and Heaters, Turbo-Aire, CoolSweep, HeatSweep, Slim-line - Seabreeze Electric Corporation
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 03:21 PM   #11

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: Jim Bennett... Seabreeze makes an off the wall cordless heater. All you need is a plug in free of obstructions.
Presumably this one: Model SF12TA - Cord Free "Off the Wall" ™
The heater is supported by the receptacle box, which I'm sure is fine in a house; however, RV outlets are often installed in thin panels without any other support, so they might not be suitable for holding up a 3.5 pound appliance... especially while bouncing down the road. The bracket clings to the edges of the faceplate of the receptacle, held against it only by a plug in the top outlet of the duplex receptacle with some kind of locking mechanism. It's something to think about if considering this heater.

I think if it had a proper mounting bracket it would be an interesting idea for someone who wants to semi-permanently install a heater without doing wiring (if they already have an outlet in a suitable location), or for someone who wants a removable heater (perhaps carried only in the cooler parts of the year). Maybe the heater's bracket could be screwed to the wall to secure it properly, leaving the heater still removable.

I like the two power levels, two fan speeds, and automatic switching between them.

They say
Quote:
The No Glow high tech heating element delivers 5120 BTU's of heat... no other portable 120 volt heater delivers more heat!
Sure... because most portable 120 volt heaters deliver exactly the same amount of heat, since they are designed to use the same amount of power (1500 watts, as limited by regulations) - they are all 100% efficient.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote