Security - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 05-14-2010, 06:08 PM   #1

Security

We have ordered a 17B that will be in production in September. Our intention is to spend winters in Mexico with lots of time travelling back and forth as well as summer trips within Canada. I am wondering if anyone has found an “alarm system” or other “security” things to use while away – swimming, shopping, occasional overnights while we go places that we can’t take the trailer – Mexico City, Copper Canyon train trip….
RobertW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 08:42 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Re: Security

Hi: RobertW... It might be better to arm yourself...rather than alarm yourself!!! There's usually safety in numbers but if nasty people want in they'll do it. Maybe a barking dog might be as good a deterrent as any Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 09:20 PM   #3

DO NOT EVEN CONSIDER bringing a firearm into Mexico. I've heard of folks being arrested for carrying just a few rounds of ammunition. Big barking dogs maybe.

You might consider a tongue lock, coupled with one of those boot devices for the wheels. In addition, get locking lug nuts as removing the "booted" wheel and replacing it frees up the trailer. As to those tongue locks, I've heard of thieves taking a trailer by dragging it off by the safety chains. My guess is, if they want it bad enough, its gone.

As for me, I carry firearms when camping in the US. Both my wife and I have carry permits, shoot frequently (and well), and wouldn't hurt a fly until is was time not to be nice (apologies to Patrick Swayze). Three big barking dogs help as well...and the dogs wouldn't hurt a fly either.

My two cents, YMMV

Dave

Old 05-15-2010, 06:44 AM   #4

Hi: RobertW... To arm yourself doesn't always mean to carry weapons!!! It could be to recognize and learn telltale signs/situations. I always felt that locks were there for the honest people!!!
I felt very uneasy staying in a very rundown campground with very rundown campers parked up on blocks. When the 1/4 million$ + units started to arrive I felt better. Whose gonna bother a little Escape 5.0 when there's those nearby. My brother did the Copper Canyon Tour with his 40'er with little bother. Maybe the odd "Armed Guarda" collecting "Tolls". Alf
Old 05-18-2010, 06:21 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19

Just a few ideas. The idea is that if ripping you off looks like it will be too time consuming or too big of a pain, the thieves may well just move on:
1. Keep things out of sight. If you must leave items of value in the trailer, "bury" them deep.
2. Lots of locks of different kinds on different parts of the trailer: cables, hitch, boot, lug nuts, etc.
3. Signs (in English and Spanish?) on the door and windows -- "No valuables kept inside".

One more: lots of insurance.

Bruce
Bruce Wray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 08:11 PM   #6

Trailer: 2006 Escape 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Wray
Just a few ideas. The idea is that if ripping you off looks like it will be too time consuming or too big of a pain, the thieves may well just move on:
1. Keep things out of sight. If you must leave items of value in the trailer, "bury" them deep.
2. Lots of locks of different kinds on different parts of the trailer: cables, hitch, boot, lug nuts, etc.
3. Signs (in English and Spanish?) on the door and windows -- "No valuables kept inside".
One more: lots of insurance.
Bruce
One more: Pray!
Hokie Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 12:25 AM   #7

Trailer: '09 Escape 19 "Grasshopper"

Quote:
The idea is that if ripping you off looks like it will be too time consuming or too big of a pain, the thieves may well just move on.

Lots of locks of different kinds on different parts of the trailer: cables, hitch, boot, lug nuts, etc.
That's my philosophy as well. When at home, we use a coupler lock, coupler latch lock, a small combo lock on each of the rotochocks, and a small boot-type lock (with locking lug nut). It might be overkill but our trailer is parked in the driveway & our house is located smack dab in the center of a major urban city. In fact, a couple of years ago, a friend in our neighborhood had his work/construction trailer stolen out of his driveway. Even though it's an uncommon event, I figure why not make our trailer look less inviting to a would-be thief. Out camping, we just use the coupler latch lock & the small combo locks on the rotochocks.

'09 Escape 19 "Grasshopper"
'14 MB GL350 BlueTEC; '99 Toyota 4Runner V6 4WD
Texscapees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 07:10 AM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

Our trailer is parked in our front drive, and we live fairly close in to the city center. Heck, the door hasn't even been locked on it since Easter. I am one to not want to deal with the stress of worry. Our house has been locked only a handful of times over the last 20 years too. I know that locking up is probably the best thing, but worrying about it too much already makes you a victim of crime before it ever happens.

I find it real funny when some customers I go see actually lock the deadbolt behind me after I come in. We recently had a customer that insisted that we lock the door as we entered or left, what a pain for running in and out with tools, supplies or garbage. That is truly paranoia.

I prefer have to pay what I consider ridiculous amounts for insurance and have not had a claim in 25 years, I will let them do the worrying should something happen.

No, I'm not telling you where I live.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 10:47 AM   #9

We lock our trailer/bikes and generator when at any campsite.. I'm originally from Buffalo NY and I hate to say it, but the phrase a "New York Minute" has different meaning to me

We do have Shiba (our 15yr lab collie mix), she's old but she still has the "BIG" bark and I have no doubt that she would be a deterrent, when we're not around.

If someone breaks the lock & steals something it's the "oh well" or "oh s***" depending on the item.. My laptop is in the later.. But what the heck everything can be replaced, having said that we do tend to stay in places that have the "aura" of being safe..

I can't wait to rummage through Jim's stuff while he's in Merritt!! You know tools make perfect stocking stuffer's..

favorite quote: "Put the candle back"
JeffZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 10:53 AM   #10

Trailer: 2006 Escape 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffZ
I can't wait to rummage through Jim's stuff while he's in Merritt!! You know tools make perfect stocking stuffer's..
See ya there Jeff.
But I'm with Jim. Fortunately, I don't think I've ever locked Hokie while at home. We do lock the door in a campground, but all the stuff stays out. Maybe I should just camp local, you guys are scarrrrrrre-ing me!
Hokie Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 11:08 AM   #11

Trailer: '09 Escape 19 "Grasshopper"

During the recession these past couple of years, Austin (like many US cities) has experienced a significant uptick in burglaries & robberies. My neighborhood was hit particularly hard over a 6 month period. At one point, seven houses within a one block radius of ours were robbed in the same week, all in broad daylight. One of which had been robbed just two months prior.

I agree that it takes the fun & joy out of life if you live and breathe being paranoid. However, if there are simple easy measures one can take to lower risk & lessen potential worry, then IMO why not take them. I have no delusions that if someone truly wants to steal our trailer, then they will surely find a way to do it so it's not worth going overboard (like spending $20K to build a garage) - as Jim said, that’s what insurance is for.Even so, I’d prefer not having to endure the hassle of filing an insurance claim & replacing our trailer if I can easily avoid it. So it's a balance.

My wife and I periodically discuss the idea & benefits of living in Canada. The idea of being able to leave our house and trailer unlocked would be yet another appealing reason to consider it - Any houses for sale in your neighborhood, Jim? Interested in having a new neighbor? Could I borrow your tools anytime I wanted?

'09 Escape 19 "Grasshopper"
'14 MB GL350 BlueTEC; '99 Toyota 4Runner V6 4WD
Texscapees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 11:45 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffZ
I'll be bringing my key this time, for sure.

Dan, I do pretty much the same in a campground. I put away some things, but when we leave, the table, chairs, BBQ, some shoes and coats, and the like, all stay outside.

Brad, there are definitely homes for sale around here. You will have to learn the proper way to spell neighbourhood though, if you were to move up here. The tools borrowing thing, it is negotiable.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 05-30-2010, 12:14 PM   #13

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna

Does anyone else have a "Roof ID" ? Some on on an rv forum came up with the bright idea of putting an ID mark that could be seen from the air on the roof of the rv. That way, if it is taken (and hopefully not put into a covered area) it could aid in tracking. Also LoJack may be a solution. Unfortunately, these are "after the fact" aids.
Old 05-30-2010, 12:27 PM   #14

Hi...All I still say "Locks are there for the honest people". If a thief wants it they're gonna take it!!! Alf
Old 05-30-2010, 12:36 PM   #15

I can't agree more, Alf. It is just like privacy, if someone really wants to tap into your life these days, they likely could.
Old 05-30-2010, 12:45 PM   #16

Hi...Jim Bennett Funny you should use the word "Tap". It's time for a beer here in the Nations Capital!!! I'm having a stubby of Heritage Traditional Dark. It's brewed right here in Ottawa!!! www.heritagebrewing.comAlf
Old 05-30-2010, 02:19 PM   #17

Sounds like a good plan Alf, but I had one too many Trois Pistoles from Unibroue last night, me noggin' is a wee bit fuzzy today.