Select Comfort bed - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 05-14-2015, 11:35 AM   #1

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Select Comfort bed

Has anyone put a Select Comfort (Sleep by Number) bed in either their 19 or 21 footer? I have one at home and really love it, so would like it for traveling as well.

During my recent motorhome rental, I did put a 3" foam pad on top of their mattress, which worked fine, but was super heavy so if I did this in the Escape, I'd never be able to lift the bed for the storage underneath. I don't know if I'd want to use the foam pad on its own.

Thanks much folks!

Laura
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 11:58 AM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
I can't answer your question directly but I do know I needed a double thickness (6") of memory foam over the stock seat cushions to make my "permanent" bed (2-person dinette) comfortable. So I would say an emphatic "NO" to using memory foam on its own over plywood...unless you at least double or maybe even triple it.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 12:01 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
How well would the stand alone foam stand up to the potential condensation issues?
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 12:34 PM   #4

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Do they stay inflated when you have no hookups?
Old 05-14-2015, 12:41 PM   #5

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Do they stay inflated when you have no hookups?
I'm assuming you mean the Select Comfort bed? Yep. Once I get mine to the proper inflation level, I never need a plug-in for it. And they don't lose air over time like those yucky plastic airbeds.

Laura
Old 05-14-2015, 01:21 PM   #6

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
I'm assuming you mean the Select Comfort bed? Yep. Once I get mine to the proper inflation level, I never need a plug-in for it. And they don't lose air over time like those yucky plastic airbeds.

Laura
Then I think your only issue would be if the bed would fit. Don't know if the 19 is exactly rectangle, might have rounded corners but it is 80"x60". The 21 has a cut off corner on it and is a non standard 54" wide. Also may have a problem getting to the under bed storage on both. You could put one in the 5.0TA. I noticed they make an RV specific model, what ever it amounts to. The leep Number Bed website is lacking in any sort of details, guess they want you to talk to sales folks.
Old 05-14-2015, 04:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
I noticed they make an RV specific model, what ever it amounts to. The leep Number Bed website is lacking in any sort of details, guess they want you to talk to sales folks.
Their RV beds are 4" shorter than normal. I had to call them to find that out last year.
Old 05-14-2015, 05:55 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
I have one in my 5.0. I love it, but I have to make adjustments for altitude and extreme temp changes.
Old 05-14-2015, 10:34 PM   #9

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
Their RV beds are 4" shorter than normal.
In the reasonably standard bed sizes, the "regular" length (of twin, full, and double beds) is 75 inches, while Queen and King are 80" long. The double width is 54", while Queen is 60". Since in many cases it is difficult to fit an 80" long bed in an RV (for instance, Escapes up to 17-foot are not wide enough for an 80" long bed across them), but people want more than 54" width, it is common to offer a 60" wide but only 75" long... and they call it an "RV Queen".
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote