Shelf versus "cubby" with door - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 11-16-2011, 12:42 PM   #1

Trailer: 2012 Escape 17B
Shelf versus "cubby" with door

Hi All,

We are working fast and furiously to plan our 17B, Oliver, and are curious -- do you find the open shelf that's above the small dinette in front of the trailer useful? Or do you find the closed-door cubbies in other areas better? I'm curious what y'all use the shelf for, if things tumble off it, if it ends up looking kind of, eh, junky, etc etc ...?

We're thinking of asking Tammy and Reace to close off that shelf but we're not sure whether we'd be missing out.

Also, for those that haven't gotten the radio/speakers -- do you find that the space that opened up is harder to access? Would it be better if there was an extra access door to allow freer accessibility to "stuff," so that you're not cramming bended arm around corners to get at things? (Hope that makes sense).

~e

& Dovekie the Wirehaired Pointing Griffon
medora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 01:00 PM   #2

Re: Shelf versus "cubby" with door

Depending on the brand being currently used by Escape, I might ask Reace to wire the area for sound and either supply your own system to be installed, or get a system installed aftermarket.

Dave

Old 11-16-2011, 03:10 PM   #3

Trailer: 2016 Tacoma Off Road, 2017 21

I find the shelf useful for small items I frequently "dig out" at each stop. I keep a bunch of 12 power supplies that run my laptop & iPod dock, charger for my camera batteries, etc. I don't think adding doors would make the space more useful.

As to the radio speakers - I skipped the radio install all together. I have a Sony iPod dock that has a 6 hour or so battery, FM radio, and works with my iPhone. It can run on 120V (supplied with the dock) or 12V (I purchased a 12V to 20V power supply). I generally put it on the fold up shelf next to the sink or sometimes take it outside. That leaves plenty of easily accessible space in the rear overhead cabinet. I tend to keep less often used items at the far ends of the cabinet...
Old 11-16-2011, 04:12 PM   #4

Hi all, and thanks, maybe we should keep that shelf, hmm. I'm a slob by nature and thus afraid of anything that openly exhibits my slovenliness, but maybe in this case it's ok ... !

Per the radio, my fault, I wasn't explicit: we have decided to forego the radio and speakers, knowing that technology is changing constantly and we hope to have our Oliver for the long haul. So we're thinking that that should open up a little space overhead, and the question is whether, for peeps that have skipped the stereo/speakers, the storage space that's regained is accessible enough through the hatch doors, or whether it's wise to consider adding an additional hatch so that we're not rooting around in there with a flashlight.

Sadly it's hard to suss this out sans Escape in the driveway

BTW, we've actually ordered the Bose SoundLink:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005KFONIU

It's a little pricey for us but gets rave reviews for sound, portability, and Bluetooth connectivity. It also has an aux-in for a television or small AM/FM radio, and rechargeable batteries (and a 6V plus as an add on if you want one). I'm actually expecting it this afternoon, if anyone's curious I can report in. I think it'll work well without taking up much space (and hey, we can bring the tunes out into the screen room if we like

Old 11-16-2011, 05:03 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)

Hey E,

Good to hear from you again - how was Alaska? I love that little shelf, we keep everything from my wallet, to our glasses cases, to our vitamin cases up there when we are stopped. I love the lip, so if I forget something up there when we travel - it is usually still there when we stop again.

Eric

SAE Towing Standard "Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 05:17 PM   #6

"I love the lip" -- ! Good enough for me

(Kodiak Island was amazing btw ... if only we could get Oliver up there. Just pull off onto a beach and there you have it, some of the most amazing "campsites" I've ever seen. A wild and rugged place)

I've been spying on you all here btw, taking note of brilliant observations and modifications, many of which you will no doubt see used in young Oliver ... coming soon to a Midwestern state near you.

~e

Old 11-16-2011, 06:25 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6

Bird books, binoculars, cribbage board, cards, a couple of novels, trailer diary, iPod dock. Where would I put all that without that handy shelf?

baglo

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 06:28 PM   #8

Now you guys make me wonder if we should actually request a second shelf

(And yeah I did see the brilliant above-the-screen-door addition, which we're gonna ask Reace if he could do for us) ...

Just got the little Bluetooth Bose btw -- about to plug in and test the sound. Very tiny! Cute! Hoping it sounds as good as it looks.
Old 11-17-2011, 10:24 PM   #9

Trailer: 2011 19' Escape

I asked Reace to run a 12V wire up to the shelf above the dinette when ordering our 19'. It's handy for an mp3 player and speakers on the shelf. I'm not sure if they could put an outlet in the corner at the end of the shelf, but it would be worth asking. I was thinking wires would work best to hook up an old car stereo I had, but forgot how fast times are changing and ended up attaching a outlet and inserting a USB adapter to plug in gadgets.
robinwstebbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 10:28 AM   #10

Trailer: 2016 Tacoma Off Road, 2017 21

I'll bet he can - Reace added a 12V outlet to the left side of the shelf that powers my cell phone amplifier & router in my 17B...