Shelf versus "cubby" with door - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 11-16-2011, 11:42 AM   #1

Trailer: 2012 Escape 17B
Shelf versus "cubby" with door

Hi All,

We are working fast and furiously to plan our 17B, Oliver, and are curious -- do you find the open shelf that's above the small dinette in front of the trailer useful? Or do you find the closed-door cubbies in other areas better? I'm curious what y'all use the shelf for, if things tumble off it, if it ends up looking kind of, eh, junky, etc etc ...?

We're thinking of asking Tammy and Reace to close off that shelf but we're not sure whether we'd be missing out.

Also, for those that haven't gotten the radio/speakers -- do you find that the space that opened up is harder to access? Would it be better if there was an extra access door to allow freer accessibility to "stuff," so that you're not cramming bended arm around corners to get at things? (Hope that makes sense).

~e
medora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 12:00 PM   #2

Re: Shelf versus "cubby" with door

Depending on the brand being currently used by Escape, I might ask Reace to wire the area for sound and either supply your own system to be installed, or get a system installed aftermarket.

Dave
Old 11-16-2011, 02:10 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150

I find the shelf useful for small items I frequently "dig out" at each stop. I keep a bunch of 12 power supplies that run my laptop & iPod dock, charger for my camera batteries, etc. I don't think adding doors would make the space more useful.

As to the radio speakers - I skipped the radio install all together. I have a Sony iPod dock that has a 6 hour or so battery, FM radio, and works with my iPhone. It can run on 120V (supplied with the dock) or 12V (I purchased a 12V to 20V power supply). I generally put it on the fold up shelf next to the sink or sometimes take it outside. That leaves plenty of easily accessible space in the rear overhead cabinet. I tend to keep less often used items at the far ends of the cabinet...
Old 11-16-2011, 03:12 PM   #4

Hi all, and thanks, maybe we should keep that shelf, hmm. I'm a slob by nature and thus afraid of anything that openly exhibits my slovenliness, but maybe in this case it's ok ... !

Per the radio, my fault, I wasn't explicit: we have decided to forego the radio and speakers, knowing that technology is changing constantly and we hope to have our Oliver for the long haul. So we're thinking that that should open up a little space overhead, and the question is whether, for peeps that have skipped the stereo/speakers, the storage space that's regained is accessible enough through the hatch doors, or whether it's wise to consider adding an additional hatch so that we're not rooting around in there with a flashlight.

Sadly it's hard to suss this out sans Escape in the driveway

BTW, we've actually ordered the Bose SoundLink:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005KFONIU

It's a little pricey for us but gets rave reviews for sound, portability, and Bluetooth connectivity. It also has an aux-in for a television or small AM/FM radio, and rechargeable batteries (and a 6V plus as an add on if you want one). I'm actually expecting it this afternoon, if anyone's curious I can report in. I think it'll work well without taking up much space (and hey, we can bring the tunes out into the screen room if we like

Old 11-16-2011, 04:03 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)

Hey E,

Good to hear from you again - how was Alaska? I love that little shelf, we keep everything from my wallet, to our glasses cases, to our vitamin cases up there when we are stopped. I love the lip, so if I forget something up there when we travel - it is usually still there when we stop again.

Eric

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 04:17 PM   #6

"I love the lip" -- ! Good enough for me

(Kodiak Island was amazing btw ... if only we could get Oliver up there. Just pull off onto a beach and there you have it, some of the most amazing "campsites" I've ever seen. A wild and rugged place)

I've been spying on you all here btw, taking note of brilliant observations and modifications, many of which you will no doubt see used in young Oliver ... coming soon to a Midwestern state near you.

~e

Old 11-16-2011, 05:25 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

Bird books, binoculars, cribbage board, cards, a couple of novels, trailer diary, iPod dock. Where would I put all that without that handy shelf?

baglo
Old 11-16-2011, 05:28 PM   #8

Now you guys make me wonder if we should actually request a second shelf

(And yeah I did see the brilliant above-the-screen-door addition, which we're gonna ask Reace if he could do for us) ...

Just got the little Bluetooth Bose btw -- about to plug in and test the sound. Very tiny! Cute! Hoping it sounds as good as it looks.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:24 PM   #9

Trailer: 2011 19' Escape

I asked Reace to run a 12V wire up to the shelf above the dinette when ordering our 19'. It's handy for an mp3 player and speakers on the shelf. I'm not sure if they could put an outlet in the corner at the end of the shelf, but it would be worth asking. I was thinking wires would work best to hook up an old car stereo I had, but forgot how fast times are changing and ended up attaching a outlet and inserting a USB adapter to plug in gadgets.
robinwstebbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 09:28 AM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150

I'll bet he can - Reace added a 12V outlet to the left side of the shelf that powers my cell phone amplifier & router in my 17B...
Old 11-18-2011, 04:34 PM   #11

We had Reace raise the front shelf over the front window so books could not fall out. I was ready to pay but he said no charge.
Old 11-19-2011, 12:21 PM   #12

Trailer: 2011 Escape 17B

It would be easy to add a small "spindle rail" to the top of the cubby to better hold things in and dress it up at the same time.

In my case, I am thinking of using the space to mount a horizontal sound bar for my bluray sound.
Attached Thumbnails
oakspindle.jpeg  
Attached Images

LBaranyai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 02:15 PM   #13

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna

I use mine for lightweight items like T.P. and paper towels. I'm going to add height so that they are not visible.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:07 PM   #14

Thanks, all ... Love the outlet suggestion, great idea. Ain't so happy with the sound on the Bose btw, I might look at another (it's actually pretty good but not as good as the price might suggest).

Did anyone skip the radio and speakers? What does that add back in terms of space up there, and is it easy to get to that space given the cubby door arrangement?

~e
& Dovekie the Wirehaired Pointing Griffon
medora66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 08:24 PM   #15

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)

E, we bought one of these iPod dock/radios and are really happy with it for the price: http://www.amazon.com/Altec-Lansing-...1928523&sr=8-7

Eric

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-21-2011, 09:13 PM   #16

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

E, we bought one of these iPod dock/radios and are really happy with it for the price:

Eric
[/quote]

I have an older version of the same, without the FM. Mine is smaller and takes six AAA batteries or AC. Wish I had yours with the rechargeable battery and FM.

Problem with a built-in sound system is that it is built in. I like to move mine around in the trailer and outside, depending on who's sleeping and who's sipping beer and needs some Leon Redbone.

I paid a whole lot more for mine too....

baglo
Old 11-21-2011, 10:18 PM   #17

Trailer: 2015 E19

I'm still trying to sort out where I want to store things and I do use the upper shelf for important things that I want easy access to

As for a sound system, I totally love my purchase of:
http://www.amazon.com/iHome-Portable...935162&sr=1-39
I do have a built in system which was also upgraded by the previous owner, but it doesn't have an aux line for my ipod. I bought this ihome so that I can play it inside the trailer and anywhere I want to because it's so portable. It just zips up and stays protected when thrown in a bag/backpack.
azutco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 11:30 AM   #18

Hey Eric, I actually have one that's very similar to yours for inside the house -- that's what I compared the Bose to and I think the Bose isn't as good in comparison. I am going to attempt to find one tho that's bluetooth or wifi, as I love the idea of wireless (and I think we'll be playing music off our new iPhones quite a bit, which means we don't necessarily want them docked). If anyone has any suggestions let me know ... gonna check out the cyber Friday sales too.

~e
Old 11-22-2011, 12:45 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by medora
Hey Eric, I actually have one that's very similar to yours for inside the house -- that's what I compared the Bose to and I think the Bose isn't as good in comparison. I am going to attempt to find one tho that's bluetooth or wifi, as I love the idea of wireless (and I think we'll be playing music off our new iPhones quite a bit, which means we don't necessarily want them docked). If anyone has any suggestions let me know ... gonna check out the cyber Friday sales too.

~e
This place has lots of reviews and tests of iPod/phone/pad products and might be a good place to look for ideas.
http://www.ilounge.com/ This one gets an "A" in their testing: http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/rev...ne-ipod-touch/

Eric

Old 11-22-2011, 02:11 PM   #20

Let it be known to all that Eric is The Man.

Thanks, will check it out -- that is after we finish our whirlwind session this afternoon working on custom graphics for the trailer. It may not work out, but we're hopeful and it's sure fun.
& Dovekie the Wirehaired Pointing Griffon
medora66 is offline   Reply With Quote