Shunt install for battery monitor - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 12-07-2017, 08:18 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 21 - Nov 2017 "Harvey"
Shunt install for battery monitor

I have a new style 21 Escape. I have the Victron Battery Monitor, BVM-700.
My question is where have you guys installed the shunt? Photos please.

The shunt with this battery monitor is quite tall, so clearly does not fit inside the dual 6v battery box. That box, under the rear bench, is very snugly sized to the batteries and nothing else. The shunt needs to be physically fairly close to the batteries to minimize cable power loss. Plus, I have the GoPower 1500w inverter option from ETI. As part of that option, they used #2 AWG wire from the inverter to the battery and they are pretty short (perhaps 15 inches total length). I wish to re-use those heavy cables, running them to the shunt, so that also means the shunt needs to be nearby.

I thought of mounting it upside down, hanging from the bench bracing. But if I do that directly over the battery box, it limits access to the battery box, the lid. If I mount off to the left side, I risk damaging the shunt when I stuff something into the storage area to the left side of the batteries. If I mount the shunt to the rear, behind the battery box, it will be protected from damage, but then I'll have to build new #2 AWG cable from the inverter negative to the shunt since the ETI one will be too short (and the other #8 AWG negative cable which powers everything else).

So, wondering what those that have done this, have done?
jking1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 09:55 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by jking1224 View Post
If I mount off to the left side, I risk damaging the shunt when I stuff something into the storage area to the left side of the batteries.
The way I mounted mine in my 19 is different so a photo wouldn't help.

I've installed several shunts in different situations and I don't regard the shunt as particularly delicate. All that I'd do is mount it in a situation that works and if other items are going to be in close proximity then use something flexible, like a piece of inner tube or scrap EPDM or vinyl in front of it to act as an insulator.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 10:11 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by jking1224 View Post
I have a new style 21 Escape. I have the Victron Battery Monitor, BVM-700.
My question is where have you guys installed the shunt? Photos please.

So, wondering what those that have done this, have done?
I mounted the shunt just above the inverter on the framing. I crimped the neg battery and converter cables shorter to fit to the shunt and made a new cable from the shunt to the inverter. The third cable on the shunt is a new one that goes to my solar charger.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20170808_164733.jpg  
Old 12-07-2017, 10:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
I mounted the shunt just above the inverter on the framing. I crimped the neg battery and converter cables shorter to fit to the shunt and made a new cable from the shunt to the inverter. The third cable on the shunt is a new one that goes to my solar charger.

Hmmm. Thanks. I’ll have to look at that location. I like it, above the inverter is an area not likely to get bumped.

And to reply to Ron, I agree the shunt is not fragile, but if I ram an object into as it hangs down in the storage space, I could rip it off its mount.
Old 12-07-2017, 11:04 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
I mounted mine next to the battery in the front storage box in my 19. I built a wood frame around the shunt to protect it from any accidental bumps. Very happy with the Victron. Had ETI wire for the Trimetric. But the Bluetooth capability of the Victron made be switch. it has been fun comparing it's readings to the GoPower.
mquirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 10:27 AM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Here is a photo of my installation of the shunt in a 21. I used the original cable between the inverter & batteries to run to the shunt, and added a 12" #2 cable between the batteries & the shunt. While is is somewhat exposed, no more than the back of the 12V receptacle...
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0487.jpg  
Old 12-08-2017, 10:49 AM   #7

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
"...The term shunt is used in filter and similar circuits with a ladder topology to refer to the components connected between the line and common. The term is used in this context to distinguish the shunt components connected between the signal and return lines from the components connected in series along the signal line. More generally, the term shunt can be used for a component connected in parallel with another. For instance, shunt m-derived half section is a common filter section from the image impedance method of filter design." (Wikapedia)

Sounds really important, but I have no idea what any of this means or exactly why I need it.
Old 12-08-2017, 11:01 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
"...The term shunt is used in filter and similar circuits with a ladder topology to refer to the components connected between the line and common. The term is used in this context to distinguish the shunt components connected between the signal and return lines from the components connected in series along the signal line. More generally, the term shunt can be used for a component connected in parallel with another. For instance, shunt m-derived half section is a common filter section from the image impedance method of filter design." (Wikapedia)

Sounds really important, but I have no idea what any of this means or exactly why I need it.
In the case of a battery monitor, the shunt is used to measure current. It is an extremely low resistance placed in series with the battery cable. The monitor measures the voltage dropped across it & uses Ohm's law to determine the current going through it. Most monitors also keep track of time, so they can determine amp hours into & out of the batteries, a much more accurate measurement of the state of charge than a voltage reading.
Old 12-08-2017, 11:05 AM   #9

Thanks for the replies guys. Teach me to not look at modifications at night. I just wasn’t looking at all the available space. I’ll probably go with a location like Jon’s. I have already ordered a 12inch cable from GenuineDealz.com based on a prior post (again by Jon).
Old 11-19-2021, 04:45 PM   #10

Trailer: 2021 21C
Battery shunt 21C

I have a question on the shunt install. My 21C runs the negative out of the battery box to negative terminal on back of converter where it appears both ac and 12V loads are on this terminal. Can I install the shunt anywhere in that single negative wire going to the converter?
Coffeeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 04:59 PM   #11
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffeeman View Post
I have a question on the shunt install. My 21C runs the negative out of the battery box to negative terminal on back of converter where it appears both ac and 12V loads are on this terminal. Can I install the shunt anywhere in that single negative wire going to the converter?
I would install it right at the battery negative terminal, and it requires a thin wire to the + terminal too for voltage monitoring.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 06:55 PM   #12

Trailer: 2021 21C
Thanks john
Coffeeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 01:51 PM   #13

Trailer: 2020 5.0 TA
Goop?

Thanks to all for the replies to OP's question.

I am installing a shunt in a 5.0 and am curious about the putty-like sealant on the battery box (2 6V wet).

What is the sealant? If I want more, what do I buy and where?

Hopefully my mounting location can mimic one of those shared.

Tnx,

Mike
Shiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 02:24 PM   #14

I'm not sure what specific product Escape uses, but electrical duct seal would do the trick.
Old 03-19-2022, 03:54 PM   #15

Trailer: 2017 5.0
Does your 21 have a center support under the seat? If so you can use that...I screwed both my shunt and fuse to it, nice and out of the way. But not sure if the 21 under-bench configuration is like this or not...
Attached Thumbnails
20211016_152902.jpg  
Old 03-19-2022, 05:32 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I'm not sure what specific product Escape uses, but electrical duct seal would do the trick.
Thank you! ordered...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeJoe View Post
Does your 21 have a center support under the seat? If so you can use that...I screwed both my shunt and fuse to it, nice and out of the way. But not sure if the 21 under-bench configuration is like this or not...
This location might work in our 5.0, thanks.

Where did you get the cover over your shunt? I plan to put mine in the negative leg but a cover might still add a little protection.
Old 03-20-2022, 10:19 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny View Post
Where did you get the cover over your shunt? I plan to put mine in the negative leg but a cover might still add a little protection.
Actually in my picture, the thing in the foreground with the cover is the 40A ANL fuse, and it came with that cover. The one towards the back is the shunt which is a Renogy product, no cover on that one. Here's a slightly different angle...
Attached Thumbnails
20211016_152853.jpg  
Old 03-20-2022, 11:38 AM   #18

Quote:
Actually in my picture, the thing in the foreground with the cover is the 40A ANL fuse, and it came with that cover. The one towards the back is the shunt which is a Renogy product, no cover on that one. Here's a slightly different angle...
Ahh! I see now and appreciate the help.

Please forgive my ignorance but why did you add the fuse?

I see an inline fuse of some type is already installed by ETI in our system.

The Thornwave monitor I'm installing shows a high-current fuse which I interpret to already be present:

Thornwave also shows a fuse inline with the voltage monitor line. I'll have to add that...
Old 03-20-2022, 02:36 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny View Post
Ahh! I see now and appreciate the help.

Please forgive my ignorance but why did you add the fuse?

I see an inline fuse of some type is already installed by ETI in our system.

The Thornwave monitor I'm installing shows a high-current fuse which I interpret to already be present:

Thornwave also shows a fuse inline with the voltage monitor line. I'll have to add that...
If you had your solar system installed by Escape, then it definitely already has that fuse. My system was DIY from scratch, so everything was added custom by me...
Old 03-20-2022, 03:51 PM   #20

Quote:
If you had your solar system installed by Escape, then it definitely already has that fuse. My system was DIY from scratch, so everything was added custom by me...
Thanks again.

Understood!