Silencing the Escape 19 Water Pump - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 07-09-2012, 11:28 AM   #21

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Re: Silencing the Escape 19 Water Pump

That is something I have been thinking of doing for a while now too, Kevin. Just got to get at it some day.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 04:41 AM   #22

Finally had a moment to download the pictures from my phone. Here is the pump in a 2012 19'.

You can see the flex tubing running from the entry and exit holes at either side of the bottom of the pump. There is not much extra play in the tubing, but it is held in place with hose clamps if somone wanted to replace the existing flex tube with enough for a loop for extra isolation. But I think that most of the vibration with the current factory install is likely transferred via the mount. It is mounted in a way that it has a bit of flex (I assume a rubber pad) when I give it a push.

It is hard to not notice when the pump runs, but it is relatively muffled. Our usage model has been to switch it on on-demand only when we need more water pressure, so the sound it does produce is not an issue. It merely lets us know when to flip the switch off again.

With a 2-year-old that enjoys nothing more than playing with water and the sink, we prefer to run out of pressure well before we run out of water.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20120623_101004_crop.jpg  
David R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 12:09 AM   #23

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander

The water pump in our 2012 17B was attached to the plumping system on the output side with a short (<6") flexible hose, The pump was loud, so I got one of the shur-flo silencing kits. I couldn't turn the T (maybe just didn't use enough force). I used zip ties to attach the new hose to the wooden frame of the seat so that it no longer contacts the pump.

It is now much quieter when the pump runs, and there is less hammering in the plumbing.

Thank you, Harold -- this was a quick and easy fix for us.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:41 AM   #24

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19

good picture, David, of the 19' set up. it is tight down under there, isn't it!!! Did you remove the mattress and go from above or crawl in between the double doors?
Old 08-12-2012, 09:10 AM   #25

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA

I had to much spare time one day and decided to modify the pump/mounting.
This is what I came up with and you can't hear the pump running over the sound
of water in the sink.

I basically took two pieces of 1/4" plywood and glued a piece of 1" foam between
them with contact cement. Drilled 4 holes from the top down to screw the bottom piece
to the floor then screwed the pump to the top.
I also added a piece of high pressure flex line between the pex line and the pump.

The other thing added is a valve for winterizing, I put a short piece of hose with a electrical
connector in the end just to keep it clean. That pops off and I put a longer piece of hose on
drop it in a jug of antifreeze and I'm good to go.

*Note the foam used was fairly ridged as it was a kneeing pad.

Here are some photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Pump.jpg   Pump 2.jpg  
Old 08-12-2012, 02:44 PM   #26

How are you guys working down there, I can hardly breathe let alone do any work down there. Are you removing the mattress and working from above or hiring little people to do all the work?
Old 08-12-2012, 04:02 PM   #27

Doug, that looks like a great mount for the pump. I like the idea a lot. When will you be coming through Calgary to do mine for me?

It is quite easy to access the pump through the hatch under the mattress. I have a stick that I use to prop it open when needed.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 08-12-2012, 08:13 PM   #28

Trailer: Escape 5.0 SA

From another angle to the solution, I installed a Shurflo water accumulator on our 5.0 this weekend.
The accumulator tank reduces pump cycling to keep line pressure up and helps keep the pump motor cool. It reduces wear & tear on the pump and motor and cuts power consumption when off the grid. We currently have a 12volt system. I believe the pump is quieter with the accumulator and longer hose installed. About $60.00 and one hour of install time.
daveandsandyclink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:57 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett
Doug, that looks like a great mount for the pump. I like the idea a lot. When will you be coming through Calgary to do mine for me?

It is quite easy to access the pump through the hatch under the mattress. I have a stick that I use to prop it open when needed.

Soon
Old 08-13-2012, 12:28 PM   #30

Sounds great Doug, let me know when, and I will put the payment in the fridge beforehand.
Old 08-13-2012, 03:54 PM   #31

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19

And when you're finished with Jim's, you can pop up here and do mine. The salmon are running <g>.

Doug
NuthatchBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:36 AM   #32

After 6 weeks on the road with our new 19', half of it off the grid, my assessment of the pump has changed a bit. There have been a couple of occasions when the system generated some noticable knocking (no idea why) which it did not do the first several times out or since. Except for that knocking, the the overall noise level has been tolerable. The more annoying part for me is the low threshold for the pump to kick in - it will often cycle for the slighest trickle, even when just wetting a toothbrush.

I need to put in a new hose clamp on the pump anyway (the flex hose connecting to the pump developed a small leak the last day out). So the silencing kit and accumulator are on order.

Doug, I like your mounting solution. Ideas like that are what I like about this forum!
David R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:11 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by David R
After 6 weeks on the road with our new 19', half of it off the grid, my assessment of the pump has changed a bit. There have been a couple of occasions when the system generated some noticable knocking (no idea why) which it did not do the first several times out or since. Except for that knocking, the the overall noise level has been tolerable. The more annoying part for me is the low threshold for the pump to kick in - it will often cycle for the slighest trickle, even when just wetting a toothbrush.

I need to put in a new hose clamp on the pump anyway (the flex hose connecting to the pump developed a small leak the last day out). So the silencing kit and accumulator are on order.

Doug, I like your mounting solution. Ideas like that are what I like about this forum!

Hi David

The silencing kit flex hose is what I used, my friend tried the accumulator did nothing to silence the pump so he took it back and did what I did and it worked great even on a stick built trailer.
Also someone mentioned that they had a bad vibration in their water lines, this just happened to me, I fixed it by draining the lines with the low point drain then turning on the pump with the sink taps open, the problems seemed to be air trapped in the line/pump head.
Jim if you read this the problem could also be caused because I'm in Alberta... LOL
Old 09-04-2012, 10:38 PM   #34

Yeah, sure....blame it on Alberta. :
Old 09-05-2012, 06:50 AM   #35

I'm going to install the pump silence hoses and I also want to install an easy winterizing connection. Can anyone give me the clear plastic intake hose diameter so I can buy the plastic fittings/valve? Thanks
Old 09-05-2012, 06:17 PM   #36

Before you void your warranty call the Escape Factory for the sizes.
Chuck
Old 09-05-2012, 06:23 PM   #37

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

I've been following this thread since the beginning and trying to work out what the problem is that's being solved.
I turn the pump on when I need water. It's only on for a few minutes at a time and only makes noise when I have a tap open.

Whatever I'm missing, I'm thankful I don't have to fix it.

baglo
Old 09-05-2012, 06:35 PM   #38

Jim, no need at all to add a winterizing connection. The waterline drain works just fine, as it is at the low point on the water supply. Just open up the taps and let drain 'til it stops. My first winter I tried blowing the lines out after I did this, and only got some light spitting. Of course, the water heater needs to be drained too.

Baglo, I am interested in a quieter pump for the wife's evening trips. The darn thing is right under our heads, and I don't like being startled awake.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:39 PM   #39

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

She flushes?

baglo
Old 09-05-2012, 07:32 PM   #40

Trailer: Escape 5.0 SA

To All,

I too have monitored this subject to learn and help provide a solution. I have no complaints but then I do not sleep over the pump. This 2012 / 5.0 has a few differences;

> 5.0 has a Artis Products pump...may or may not operate quieter
> mounted horizontal on the floor...may transfer less noise and vibration
> using clear, soft, flexable hosing on both sides...also may transfer less vibration

These differences might be factory improvements.
The pump spec sheet boasts self priming-dry running-corrosion resistance-low noise-sealed motor-patented diaphragm

Sorry the accumulator suggestion didn't help.
My pump runs alot less with the accumulator installed and I can get enough water for one quick flush without using the pump at night.

Any input from Reace and the factory?

David

daveandsandyclink is offline   Reply With Quote