skid plates/belly protection - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 11-14-2010, 06:38 PM   #1

skid plates/belly protection

Has anyone done anything to protect the water tanks and plumbing underneath the trailers

We have just ordered our 15b and are having it equiped with dual propane, dual 6 volt batteries, 15 inch tires and higher lift axle. Where we live the roads just kinda randomly end.

Although there seems to be enought clearance for asphalt and the associated speed pumps and pot holes I'm looking for ideas to protect the underbelly. Any ideas would be appreciated.
shanngord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 07:05 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Re: skid plates/belly protection

For one, I would consider the added weight. And, with the high-lift and 15 inch tires, I think that if your tow vehicle can handle it so can the Escape. Which brings me to the 'skid plate' on my buddy's Hyundi. It is made of plastic and got trashed by a minor snow-drift. And, no, Hyundi didn't replace it under warranty.

And, a buddy on the Flyfish list used to carry a couple 10' 2"X12"s to traverse really nasty sections. With my old Subaru and tent trailer, I simply turned around and went someplace else.

baglo
Old 11-14-2010, 09:13 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: shanngord... One of our lookers on in N.Y. this summer was remarking at the ground clearance of our 5.0. With the axle lift and the 15" wheels and tires he thought it would make a perfect trailer for his hunting trips!!! CRINGE Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 09:35 PM   #4

I guess I should wait until its at home before I develop plans for anything. Its the "shann" part of my username that gets full say in the interior modifications and the "gord" suffix that designs the exterior.

I'm pretty careful with my equipment going offroad especially, but the sewer and grey water outlets on RVs always make me cringe. The Escape does seem to tuck things up considerably higher than most other trailers but a little protection might not hurt.

It may be a long wait until next summer!

Thanks for the input.
Old 11-14-2010, 09:49 PM   #5

The problem being, that any sort of cover you might place over the drains, or tanks is going to reduce the clearance.

baglo
Old 11-14-2010, 10:20 PM   #6

The "Shann" part of my user name just informed me that there is no way that we are taking the Escape on anything that might come even close to contacting the under belly. The "Gord" part of my username just said "Sure, dear!"

We will see next summer!

Old 11-14-2010, 11:11 PM   #7

Well, I recollect a couple fishing trips where the lure was the lake and the lunkers within.

I managed to get into Island Lake near Kamloops with my Subaru and tent trailer, keeping the driving wheels on top of the boulders. I heard my buddy coming with his 17' Boler from half a mile away. Sounded like the end of time.
The Boler had a substantial overhang and my buddy had left a lot of it on the rocks that claimed to be a road into the site. But he did arrive.
We had to bail out a day early before rain turned the dust that surrounded those rocks into quicksand.

Another time, I was picking my way down, sticking to the tops of the boulders, when I realized that I could probably ease my way to the bottom, but I'd never get out. I was lucky that I had the option to back into some bush and turn around.

Ended up camping at a swamp ( they call it a lake ). New York steaks, fresh corn on the cob, baked potatoes, and chocolate, and cheezies for desert. It was all good.

baglo