Slide out storage under 19 bed - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 02-25-2019, 10:59 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19 on order
Slide out storage under 19 bed

I'm thinking about putting a slide out basket or shelf under the bed of our 2018 19.

Im wondering how thick the floor is over the fresh water tank? I'm concerned about running a mount screw through the top of it.

Would those that have done this chime in on how you bolted your slides down? How long and what type screws did you use?

I'm thinking 1 or 2 of something like this might work well.

Lynk Professional Organizer with with Pull Out Under Cabinet Sliding Shelf 17" W x 18" D x 4" H Chrome

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000SOYKD6..._XCmDCb98V5MV4

Thanks

Dan
Kingbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 12:12 AM   #2

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Dan: When I did my own slide out drawer I asked the same question and was told 1/2” plywood is used. I ended up using 1/2” wood screws and they worked well.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...tml#post207898
Old 02-26-2019, 05:33 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I found that by laying down a 1/4' piece of smooth plywood under the bed allowed things to slide easily without having to install tracks. I stored items inside clear plastic containers and also installed LED lighting.
Worked in both E19's I owned as well as E21
Old 02-26-2019, 07:11 AM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
When I worked under the bed on our 2010 19 I understood the plywood was 5/8. I was not absolutely sure so I used 1/2 inch screws into the plywood and had no problems. You can’t countersink them or drive them too deep. Easy does it. I did not build slides in, I built an enclosure where the electrical cord could push into and not get tangled with other things stored under the bed. We did have tubs under the bed which we pulled out with a one inch dowel with a hook on it. Worked ok for no more than we had to get in there.
Iowa Dave
Old 02-26-2019, 09:55 AM   #5

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Our 17A is ˝" plyw. as well. We put carpeting on the floor under our bed, to insulate, and to act as an easy surface to slide stuff in for storage. It's mostly chairs and other stuff that either doesn't like to move, or won't do damage if it shifts around a little.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 10:25 AM   #6

Thanks everyone for the input. I'll assume it's 1/2 inch. I don't need it to hold much weight, I just put my clothes under the bed and allow my wife to have the over bed storage. I think it will be nice to have a slide out so I don't have to dig to get the storage and keep my clothes up off the floor.

I put all my T-Shirts, Underwear, socks etc. into packing cubes, which are on top of my jeans and shorts.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Am-Touris...Asst/202609805

I roll up my shirts and underwear putting shirts on one side of the large cube, underwear on the other. I can get 4 - 5 shirts and 5 or 6 underwear in each cube. Socks and other misc. clothing go in the other smaller cubes. Rolling T Shirts makes them really compact and keeps them from getting too wrinkled. This makes it really easy, pack in the house, take a few cubes to the trailer...done.

My wife also uses the cubes and loves it for packing a lot of clothes in a small area.

Hang up clothes go in the "closet".

We've been really pleased with the amount of storage in our 19. We have been on the road well over a month and can go 7 - 10 days between laundry stops no problem.
Old 02-26-2019, 10:35 AM   #7

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19 "Escape Pod" (November 30 2018)
We stumbled upon a similar pull out organizer from Richelieu at Costco a few weeks back. I had wanted to make a wooden drawer similar to rubicon327 which would have been 4" wider and 1" longer, but it was hard to resist a ready to install version for $38. So far we have just mocked it up and think it will work quite well.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190122_121422.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	272.5 KB
ID:	37264
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190217_172756.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	214.7 KB
ID:	37265
GoCampBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 11:18 AM   #8

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
I found that you could use 8 milk crates for a total of 8 square feet of pull out storage. Shop around for your crates as the quality and colour varies for the same price.
Because the crates can stack, they have a grove in the bottom that allow them to slide on wooden track or as I have done, old aluminium track light rail that I picked up for $1 each at Restore.
Because you have doors attached, don’t worry about screws, rails and alignment as they will slide just fine on the floor. However you should remove the metal edge where the floor bumps up.
Here is a link to how I attached the crates.
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...tml#post248269
Attached Thumbnails
6B040EA6-2084-48D9-9E7E-176AC130E56D.jpg   0CFFFECD-ECAD-4A47-B80D-A64796D22A72a.jpg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 11:48 AM   #9

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
One would think, since the underbed area is elevated, that adding any weight to a pull out drawer would add excess stress on the rear screw attachment points with the front hanging in mid air? Basic physics.....
Old 02-26-2019, 01:13 PM   #10

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
One would think, since the underbed area is elevated, that adding any weight to a pull out drawer would add excess stress on the rear screw attachment points with the front hanging in mid air? Basic physics.....
Yes, good point. That is why I ultimately went with 200# slides from Lee Valley and used three mounting brackets per side. The brackets allow up to 5 screws each. I think I used 4. So a total of 24 screws.

200 lb Slides - Lee Valley Tools

https://www.amazon.com/handyct-Blum-.../dp/B002K9TAN2
Old 02-26-2019, 01:29 PM   #11

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19 "Escape Pod" (November 30 2018)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
It looks like the drawer I bought has 2 screws in each corner, and Kingbiscuit's has 1 screw in each corner. If 1/2" is the maximum depth, I agree that I wouldn't feel very confident with anything heavy in either of the drawers. Perhaps a wood frame could be made to apply some of the stress to the underside of the bed and protect against other items hitting the drawer. Alternatively, we could use a 1x2 flat under the drawer supports with a bunch of 1/2" screws holding it down, and then use 1" screws for the drawer which would go through the 1x2 into the floor?
GoCampBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 05:11 PM   #12

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21 Rear Bed
We are super lazy. We have 4 plastic tubs that just fit side to side in the opening under the 19. They are both 1/2 the length, slightly less of the width of the bed. 2 were left over from under bed storage in our Casita. 2 we bought to the correct height, width and length. Drilled a hole in 2 of them, tied a stopper knot on a 4 ft long rope. Then shoved them back. The next 2 fit clothes side to side and are easy to access. No slides used, sure we are causing wear on the linoleum under the bed, but who cares. The deep storage ones we just pull out with the rope, then start to shove back in and push them into place with the forward tub. Lawn chairs and tables fit in the rear passenger side compartment, and they keep the tubs centered. Driver side has framing to keep the tubs out of the water pump and the HW heater. No slides to buy, no screws to attach, we are just lazy.
Old 02-26-2019, 09:11 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCampBC View Post
It looks like the drawer I bought has 2 screws in each corner, and Kingbiscuit's has 1 screw in each corner. If 1/2" is the maximum depth, I agree that I wouldn't feel very confident with anything heavy in either of the drawers. Perhaps a wood frame could be made to apply some of the stress to the underside of the bed and protect against other items hitting the drawer. Alternatively, we could use a 1x2 flat under the drawer supports with a bunch of 1/2" screws holding it down, and then use 1" screws for the drawer which would go through the 1x2 into the floor?

It will be easy to drill out 3 more holes and put 5 screws across the back to stop the weight from pulling it out. As I mentioned, I only put some clothes in that area, there won't be much weight...maybe 10 - 20 pounds max...if that.
Old 02-26-2019, 09:45 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape 1721
While not a 19', I installed pullout drawers and they have been great for accessing the space under the bed. Like others, I used boards under the slides to raise them and for a more secure footprint. I think the decking screws were 2" or 2.25", so they only protruded a half inch into the floor. I do recommend adding a hook or something, so they don't open when you travel.
Attached Thumbnails
top view.jpg   Open.jpg   Closed.jpg  
rotateclockwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 10:08 PM   #15

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
We went even simpler. The prior owner (Thanks Rich!) just installed a 1x2 to the floor to create a channel for one of those under bed storage bins on wheels.

Looks something like this: https://www.target.com/p/sterilite-1...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 10:55 PM   #16

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
Mryl and Gary, I had similar in my a-frame..I used those felt furniture stickum pads (about 1.5 inch circles) on the bottom corners of my bins. They slid easier and they were up off the floor. Available at Home Depot.