Slinky holder challenge - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 03-04-2014, 03:44 PM   #1

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Slinky holder challenge

I don't want to replace the existing stinky slinky holder, just adapt it to accommodate common hose ends.
Some have replaced the PVC tube using plastic fence posts. I checked out my local Rona and Home Depot, but they only sell 4" X 4", which won't do, and they are fairly costly.
I've also been wandering the plumbing aisles looking for an adapter that I could use to expand the opening by maybe an inch. I've found 4" to 3" but no 4" to 5".
Any ideas?
Old 03-04-2014, 03:54 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
For all the trouble you would go to, it might be just as easy to replace with a real tube. I am glad now that I did. Cost less than $100 in materials, and took about and hour (plus shopping time) to do.

I built 4 simple adapters out of aluminum, to adapt the tube mounting holes to the underside of the frame. I use some 3/16" self taping screws to mount it to the frame, and short 1/4" bolts to mount the tube to them.

I opted to use black, and am glad I did, as it tends to be less obvious to the eye, though white is available.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 04:31 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Stinky Slinky Storage Mod

I am sure you have seen the instructions for those of us with the older pipes. Using a rasp to create a notch for a better fit of the slinky.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 04:59 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
By the time I bought mine, ETI had added better attachment points under the trailer (I can't use the bumper), but they were still using PVC tubing and a flimsy hose. I went to Camping World, bought a commercial tube and a Rhinoflex hose, and I couldn't be happier. I still had to slightly trim the Rhinoflex tabs, but it was minor and easy. I attached the tube with both screws AND two large stainless hose clamps. Tube also opens from both ends.
Old 03-04-2014, 05:07 PM   #5

I went the same route as Jim Bennett and replaced mine cost was on par upsized the bolts from 1/4" to 5/16" stainless with fender washers inside to take the stress. I do not have a picture of inside and the snow and cold say I am not going to go take one now :} . But I did put screw on caps on both sides for convenience of putting the black tank wand in on one side and the slinky in on the other side.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1376079585470.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	5099

Name:	1376404679532.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	5100

Name:	1376404682200.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	5101

Name:	1376404681526.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	5102
Cypherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 06:13 PM   #6

Trailer: 2003 Scamp 16' SOLD , 2008 Airstream 19'
I used the same tube system like Jim's, but mounted it a little different.
I called the manufacturer and ordered 2 slip on mounting hangers and one spare end cap assy. I purchased one 6' tube assy. from Camping World and removed one end so I could slip the two hangers onto the tube. I mounted the hangers to the trailer frame with 1/4" machine screws. I tapped the threads using a cordless drill. Next the tube was inserted through the hangers. Then I glued the new end cap assembly onto the raw end of the tube. At this point the tube could be slid back and forth to center it under the trailer. Once centered I marked the tube and slid it sideways enough to apply some cement to the tube and slid it back to center to cure. It has been a worthwhile mod, as it allows 2 hoses to fit end to end. The Rhino hose coupling dogs do have to be trimmed to fit into the tube, but just takes a minute to accomplish.
Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 06:15 PM   #7

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
At least as of last April, ETI included a real slinky holder, albeit a little short. I found that by shortening my Rhinoflex by two feet, that it would fit nicely in the holder and still give me between 12 and 13 feet (all I have every needed.) There was no need to cut off the prongs with the new tube. The only thing that doesn't fit inside is the cone adapter, but I don't think that would fit any tube.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1601.jpg   IMG_1604.jpg   Rhinoflex.jpg  
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 06:43 PM   #8

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
Quote:
Originally Posted by techfan View Post
At least as of last April, ETI included a real slinky holder, albeit a little short. I found that by shortening my Rhinoflex by two feet, that it would fit nicely in the holder and still give me between 12 and 13 feet (all I have every needed.) There was no need to cut off the prongs with the new tube. The only thing that doesn't fit inside is the cone adapter, but I don't think that would fit any tube.
The whole Rhinoflex tube fits in my 19 including the cone adapter but the tube is 6" diameter. One stainless steel bolt holds it in place through the spare tire support stand.

Steve
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote