small project -- map pocket - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-12-2017, 03:21 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Posts: 735
small project -- map pocket

If you followed my thread about electrical gremlins (Electrical gremlins and plumbing stacks...) you may recall that to try to verify the source of water infiltration I cut a hole through an interior wall. So I had a hole to cover up, and this weekend I got to that project.

The hole was on the forward-facing interior wall beside the driver's side dinette bench seat. This is in a 19'.

I didn't want to just patch the hole; I wanted something that looked like it belongs there. First thought was a magazine rack, but I didn't want anything that stuck out too far, because it might get caught as somebody got into or out of the bench seat. So I had the idea of keeping it very thin, and using stretch cord to hold whatever in place.

I'm happy with the way it turned out... Should be good for paddling maps and tourist pamphlets, etc...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _DSC1012.jpg (162.0 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg _DSC1013.jpg (155.5 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg _DSC1014.jpg (192.6 KB, 38 views)
__________________

__________________
Doug

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2018 Ford F150
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 03:39 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Patandlinda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Posts: 5,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbailey View Post
If you followed my thread about electrical gremlins (Electrical gremlins and plumbing stacks...) you may recall that to try to verify the source of water infiltration I cut a hole through an interior wall. So I had a hole to cover up, and this weekend I got to that project.

The hole was on the forward-facing interior wall beside the driver's side dinette bench seat. This is in a 19'.

I didn't want to just patch the hole; I wanted something that looked like it belongs there. First thought was a magazine rack, but I didn't want anything that stuck out too far, because it might get caught as somebody got into or out of the bench seat. So I had the idea of keeping it very thin, and using stretch cord to hold whatever in place.

I'm happy with the way it turned out... Should be good for paddling maps and tourist pamphlets, etc...
Great idea and very nice solution ! Pat
__________________

Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 04:04 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
KarenH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Bellingham and Glacier, Washington
Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Posts: 1,981
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbailey View Post
...So I had the idea of keeping it very thin, and using stretch cord to hold whatever in place.
What a great project...it turned out very well. I had to smile, though, as I am a mapophile and would need a bookcase installed for the maps I have with me at all times. I am so grateful to have the large table in my Escape as I need it to study all my maps and make my plans for the day.

Well done!
__________________
Karen Hulford
2013 Escape 15A, "Egbert"
Ford 150 XLT 5.8L
Bellingham, Washington
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 04:24 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Iowa Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Benton County, Iowa
Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Posts: 4,352
Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
What a great project...it turned out very well. I had to smile, though, as I am a mapophile and would need a bookcase installed for the maps I have with me at all times. I am so grateful to have the large table in my Escape as I need it to study all my maps and make my plans for the day.

Well done!
Ain’t nothing like a good paper map for me. Traveling with the Escape we use the Rand McNalley every day. The state DOT roadmaps vary quite a bit in how “complete”
They are and in paper quality these days. States that know and value tourism and are known for tourism activities often have better maps and have them widely distributed. Other states are almost stingy it seems to me. I have a nice 1933 map of
Chicago in my “collection”. I wish I had marked off every County I’ve ever been in. And circled towns with great names like Carp, Indiana. What Cheer. Deep River and Lone Tree, all in Iowa. And how many of the Springfield’s too, right Bill S?. One of my best friends just moved to Embarrass, Minnesota “the cold spot”.
Dave
__________________
Strike while the iron is hot. Live every day as if it were your last and one day you will be right.
Dave
Iowa Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 04:33 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Patandlinda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Posts: 5,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Ain’t nothing like a good paper map for me. Traveling with the Escape we use the Rand McNalley every day. The state DOT roadmaps vary quite a bit in how “complete”
They are and in paper quality these days. States that know and value tourism and are known for tourism activities often have better maps and have them widely distributed. Other states are almost stingy it seems to me. I have a nice 1933 map of
Chicago in my “collection”. I wish I had marked off every County I’ve ever been in. And circled towns with great names like Carp, Indiana. What Cheer. Deep River and Lone Tree, all in Iowa. And how many of the Springfield’s too, right Bill S?. One of my best friends just moved to Embarrass, Minnesota “the cold spot”.
Dave
Paper maps here too ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 06:27 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Marry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Ponoka, Alberta
Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Posts: 1,648
Sure looks like it always belonged there, Doug. Very nice!!!
__________________

__________________
"never lose hope, never lose faith"
Marry is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Escape Trailer Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.
×