Solar Installation - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2017, 02:31 PM   #21

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21; previously a 2012 Escape 19
Jim - when you ordered your 5.0, did you have Escape do a "solar ready" option? I understand they can run the wires to a charge controller for you.
Old 05-17-2017, 02:41 PM   #22

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdr2 View Post
Jim - when you ordered your 5.0, did you have Escape do a "solar ready" option? I understand they can run the wires to a charge controller for you.
They did not have any of the entry plates when mine was being built, but solid it a few weeks later. Super easy to install. Pretty sure they will now install it now and run the #10 wires from it to where you want the controller. That would save some work for you.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 02:27 AM   #23

Trailer: 2014 Escape 15B sold, 2019 Escape 19
Very neat looking install Jim, I’m debating between the semi flex glued panels and the conventional enclosed panels that will need holes in the roof of my Escape 15. I really like to go with the flex panels because of the look and the fact that fewer holes will be needed on the roof. The issue I’ve been reading about is the high temperature the panels can reach and I wander if it will damage the fiberglass roof, any thoughts?
Effie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 05:43 AM   #24

Trailer: New 21 Escape (not classic)10/16 Sold Lil Snoozy 7/16
Solar

What size controller does one need for a 320 watts of solar .
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 07:22 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effie View Post
Very neat looking install Jim, I’m debating between the semi flex glued panels and the conventional enclosed panels that will need holes in the roof of my Escape 15. I really like to go with the flex panels because of the look and the fact that fewer holes will be needed on the roof. The issue I’ve been reading about is the high temperature the panels can reach and I wander if it will damage the fiberglass roof, any thoughts?
Heat was a consideration, but for the most part I only heard about it from folks wondering and worrying. Manufacturers, suppliers and installers rarely brought this up as a consideration. I do plan to monitor for a while, especially under intense sun at high temps. My only concern would be for the performance and longevity of the panel itself, not the fibreglass roof.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennykatz View Post
What size controller does one need for a 320 watts of solar .
The maximum amperage would be 320W / 12V = 26.7 A. However, this will never be achieved with my system. For starters, there is no chance I will get full optimization of the panels, and in some cases much less, firstly due to the inclination of the panels being flat and not pointed directly at the sun, and a good chance of at least one of the three sets being in partial or full shade. As well, the charge voltage is never the nominal 12V, it always a somewhat higher, dependant upon the charge mode.

If you click on this link to my charge controller, under the specifications tab, you can see that the recommend a 30A for between 260W and 390W. I really doubt I would ever exceed the 260W limit of a 20A controller, but with a 30A I am more than covered, and could even add a larger portable if desired.

This weekend I will monitor things to see what the readouts say.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 05-18-2017, 01:51 PM   #26

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19 "Lily"
Send a message via MSN to Sean Murry Send a message via Yahoo to Sean Murry
Hi Jim
Escape does now offer the pre-wire solar as you thought they did. They say it has roof mount MC4 Connector. Are the solar panels you installed compatible with the MC4 connector? I am guessing these are an industry standard, but not knowing too much about solar I thought I would ask you.
Sean Murry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 09:02 PM   #27

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Hi all
If you liked the pictures just think how much you'll enjoy the trailer tour of this craftsman's masterpiece at the rally next week. Just see Iowa Dave or Thoer for tickets and you too can have a rally experience you'll never forget. Off to the photographer to pick up our glossies so I can autograph my side. Where did I put that Sharpie?
Dave
We are taking only real dollars for those tickets this year aren't we. I've got those industrial permanent markers for our autographs on the side on Jim's trailer

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 10:36 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Murry View Post
Hi Jim
Escape does now offer the pre-wire solar as you thought they did. They say it has roof mount MC4 Connector. Are the solar panels you installed compatible with the MC4 connector? I am guessing these are an industry standard, but not knowing too much about solar I thought I would ask you.
The solar panels came with MC4 connectors attached. They are an industry standard connector, which is great. I did have to make up an extension for the two furthest from the entry plate, but with the right tool, they are easy to do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
We are taking only real dollars for those tickets this year aren't we. I've got those industrial permanent markers for our autographs on the side on Jim's trailer
Holding true to your concept of charging to see my trailer, would that make it that I am the one to sign other's trailers?
Old 05-18-2017, 10:43 PM   #29

Well after a long day on the job, I came home and finished the solar install and installed my table. I installed the charge controller and breakers and connected to the batteries. It was getting dark so testing will have to happen tomorrow.

I just mounted the breakers on a DIN bar for now, as the supplier did not have any small junction boxes to mount the breakers in, but when they do get stock, I will add that to protect the breakers.

This is a shot of the completed install. You can see the Y-connectors out of focus in the foreground, which is in preparedness for when I get around to installing a connection for the temporary panel, just plug and play.

I do have one question for those that may know. I have a Battery Temperature Sensor, which is a 1/4" round by 1 1/4" long cylinder. How to I mount that? Do I tape it to one battery? No instructions, but I did send an email to the manufacturer, I just hope the reply is not in Chinese.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:39 AM   #30

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post

I do have one question for those that may know. I have a Battery Temperature Sensor, which is a 1/4" round by 1 1/4" long cylinder. How to I mount that? Do I tape it to one battery? No instructions, but I did send an email to the manufacturer, I just hope the reply is not in Chinese.
The Blue Sky battery temperature sensor has an eyelet large enough that it can be (and directions note it should be) connected to one of the battery terminals. I suspect they give a more accurate internal temperature than the case of the battery.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:47 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
The Blue Sky battery temperature sensor has an eyelet large enough that it can be (and directions note it should be) connected to one of the battery terminals. I suspect they give a more accurate internal temperature than the case of the battery.
I have no terminal posts on my AGMs. I could see that being a good idea though, as heat transfer would be better than through the casing with it being more of an insulator.

Maybe taped down with a thin layer of insulation on top?

The controller assumes a temperature of 25°C without the sensor to determine charge parameters.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:54 AM   #32

I just got a reply from Epsolar.
______

Hello Sir,

You just put the sensor near to one of the battery.

Thanks~!
______

That helps. LOL
Old 05-19-2017, 11:31 AM   #33

Here is a copy of the layout I did a ways back for how I am wiring up my solar. Kinda boring, but thought someone my be interested.

Click image for larger version

Name:	5.0TA Solar.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	24257
Old 05-19-2017, 12:59 PM   #34

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21; previously a 2012 Escape 19
Jim - this looks like a well thought out system.

What wire sizes did you use for the roof and portable systems?
Also, how are you passing your portable system wires into the trailer? I am assuming the two 6v batteries are inside the 5.0?
Old 05-19-2017, 01:57 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdr2 View Post
Jim - this looks like a well thought out system.

What wire sizes did you use for the roof and portable systems?
Also, how are you passing your portable system wires into the trailer? I am assuming the two 6v batteries are inside the 5.0?
All wiring down to the controller is #10, and from there to the battery #8.

I am using a Cnlinko 2 pin connector going inside. Even though waterproof, I am planning to put it and a few other connections in this hatch, TV, WiFi and cell booster.

The batteries are inside, you can see the box to the left in the photo of the inverter.
Old 06-08-2017, 06:36 PM   #36

I still don't have my portable tied into the system yet, but to date certainly have not needed it. We have not had a huge draw with nights not being very cold, and the furnace little duty (other than a couple nights). No problem getting charged to full by midday in most cases, a bit longer a couple times when raining or in shade much of the day.

Once we get to colder and shorter days, I will report back. I do plan to have the portable up and running soon anyway.
Old 07-07-2017, 01:36 AM   #37

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
I still don't have my portable tied into the system yet, but to date certainly have not needed it. We have not had a huge draw with nights not being very cold, and the furnace little duty (other than a couple nights). No problem getting charged to full by midday in most cases, a bit longer a couple times when raining or in shade much of the day.

Once we get to colder and shorter days, I will report back. I do plan to have the portable up and running soon anyway.
Very nice instalation . Very interested in your thoughts on the flexible panels . Are you happy with the panels ? Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 08:04 AM   #38

This solar configuration has had no issues with keeping the batteries fully charged, as other than at the Escape Rally, I have been off grid for an additional 20 nights so far. In most cases I was fully charged by noon. I have yet to need to set up and use my portable panel. Of course, at this time of year the furnace has not run much at all, and lights are not needed much. The awning did get deployed and retracted quite a bit, along with the landing gear being used.

Once we get into fall and colder temps, I will report back, though I suspect in most cases I should still get fully charged with no problem, and if needed will deploy the portable panel.

Everything is holding nice and neatly, so all aspects of the installation seem to be working out very well. Lots of folks are surprised I have 240W of solar power on the roof, as it is only visible in some cases from behind.

The display shows a battery with various levels of charge which is kinda hokey. At 12.8 volts it shows well less than half full. I kinda ignore this. What it does show which is nice is the voltage and current from the panels to the batteries, and the voltage level of the batteries, which is all that is really needed to monitor. To be honest, I need to play with this a bit more, but am either busy with other things while camping, and my life is super busy outside of camping right now.

Basically, all my reasons for going with these semi-flexible panels are working out as hoped. They look nice an sleek and perform very well. I like it when a plan works out like this.
Old 07-07-2017, 09:24 AM   #39

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
This solar configuration has had no issues with keeping the batteries fully charged, as other than at the Escape Rally, I have been off grid for an additional 20 nights so far. In most cases I was fully charged by noon. I have yet to need to set up and use my portable panel. Of course, at this time of year the furnace has not run much at all, and lights are not needed much. The awning did get deployed and retracted quite a bit, along with the landing gear being used.

Once we get into fall and colder temps, I will report back, though I suspect in most cases I should still get fully charged with no problem, and if needed will deploy the portable panel.

Everything is holding nice and neatly, so all aspects of the installation seem to be working out very well. Lots of folks are surprised I have 240W of solar power on the roof, as it is only visible in some cases from behind.

The display shows a battery with various levels of charge which is kinda hokey. At 12.8 volts it shows well less than half full. I kinda ignore this. What it does show which is nice is the voltage and current from the panels to the batteries, and the voltage level of the batteries, which is all that is really needed to monitor. To be honest, I need to play with this a bit more, but am either busy with other things while camping, and my life is super busy outside of camping right now.

Basically, all my reasons for going with these semi-flexible panels are working out as hoped. They look nice an sleek and perform very well. I like it when a plan works out like this.
Thankyou for the update . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 09:53 AM   #40

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
So Jim, will you be using a flexible panel for the portable panel as well? Mine has the stock 150/160 watt (whatever it takes) panel but camping in shade maybe a problem for us. Thoughts on kind/type/brand for external panels? Also are the double breakers in your system just used as switches or do they also protect the battery and the rest of the camper? Thanks for sharing your cool solar system! I enjoy your workmanship! Bill
CoolCampingKid is offline   Reply With Quote