Solar Installation - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2018, 08:59 AM   #81

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Don't wait to long with possible trade wars with China though . Pat

I wonder if US tariffs on Asian solar stuff will impact ETI, or if Canadia will miss out on that tirade and quietly go about their business of buying and selling stuff without punitive price hikes? Do ETI solar components come via the US, or straight from Asia? Does NAFTA come into it? Just musing...
Old 04-08-2018, 09:58 AM   #82

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
Do ETI solar components come via the US, or straight from Asia?
Escape simply uses a solar kit made by Go Power which is a subsidiary of Valterra Products located in CA. Not sure if Go Power makes their own panels (doubtful) or where they source them.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 10:57 AM   #83

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
I wonder if US tariffs on Asian solar stuff will impact ETI, or if Canadia will miss out on that tirade and quietly go about their business of buying and selling stuff without punitive price hikes? Do ETI solar components come via the US, or straight from Asia? Does NAFTA come into it? Just musing...
Really not sure but my understanding the majority of panels come from China . That is my reason for getting this installed now . I don't think any ones knows what is going happen . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 06:29 PM   #84
Tin

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent View Post
Thank you all for posting your installs and info. I'm thinking the flex panels are the way to go.
Hi Kent,
This is just food for thought.
1. Thermal Dynamics - the under side of solar panels can reach in excess of 140 F.
in the south west higher.
2. Performance - The hotter panels get the less efficient they are, and the greater chance of cell overheating.
3. Fiberglass - I do not know the effects of extreme heat when applied to fiberglass but I cant imagine it being good (maybe someone has thermal data of fiberglass). possible color distortion.
4. Heat Transfer - This could be a good thing in the winter but not so good during summer months.
5. Sun Angle _ especially with 5.0T/A, the rear of the 5.0 slants down about 6%. During winter months with the low angle sun and the 5.0 facing south (sometimes in campgrounds you do not have the opportunity to chose the direction facing) performance is Greatly diminished.

Just food for thought.

Tin.
Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 06:03 PM   #85

Quote:
Good to know Jim You said you were checking . I bet I get the hot sun before you . We are in the 70's now . Pat
Just got home and checked the panels and trailer . Outside right in the shade of the patio it is 95.5 . Touched panels on roof they were warm to the touch . I am in float mod right now .
Inside trailer the roof is warm where the panels are but not hot . Pat
Old 04-09-2018, 06:10 PM   #86

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Just got home and checked the panels and trailer . Outside right in the shade of the patio it is 95.5 . Touched panels on roof they were warm to the touch . I am in float mod right now .
Inside trailer the roof is warm where the panels are but not hot . Pat
Good to know. Seems like they should be fine in those temps. It got above freezing here today for the first time in a couple weeks.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 06:15 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Good to know. Seems like they should be fine in those temps. It got above freezing here today for the first time in a couple weeks.
We are suppose to drop back down to 70's mid week but glad I got to check out today . Pat
Old 04-09-2018, 06:52 PM   #88

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
"Down to the 70's", sheesh!
Old 04-09-2018, 07:04 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
"Down to the 70's", sheesh!
I know . Just looked again 96.5 in the shade . It's hard going up and down like a yo , yo . Wish it would stay in the 70 's Pat
Old 04-09-2018, 11:05 PM   #90

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
I know . Just looked again 96.5 in the shade . It's hard going up and down like a yo , yo . Wish it would stay in the 70 's Pat
Another east wind day tomorrow, then 70° on Wednesday, Pat. It was even 95° today where we are; I agree: it'd be nice to have "normal" weather again.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 11:49 PM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
Another east wind day tomorrow, then 70° on Wednesday, Pat. It was even 95° today where we are; I agree: it'd be nice to have "normal" weather again.
Can't wait for 70 on Wednesday . It is still hot at almost 10 pm and we still have the cooler closed up . And as soon as we open it ... it will be cold again . Pat
Old 05-10-2018, 04:31 PM   #92

Trailer: 2012 Escape 15A
Solar install

A truly impressive installation. Can you suggest screw size and sealant type for the Go Power entry plate on the roof of an Escape? Am trying to get comfortable with the idea of drilling holes in the fiberglass roof.
Desert Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 09:25 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Dweller View Post
A truly impressive installation. Can you suggest screw size and sealant type for the Go Power entry plate on the roof of an Escape? Am trying to get comfortable with the idea of drilling holes in the fiberglass roof.
Hi not sure who you are addressing but I can tell you what I did .one hole in the middle of entry plate no other drilling , used eternabond tape underneath to seal to roof then some white diclor self leveling sealant around edge . Others are able to go down refrigerator chase so no holes . I didn't want to drill through our roof so I went with Lensun semi -flexible panels attached with tape after cleaning dirt wherever you need to attach . Pat
Old 05-11-2018, 01:04 PM   #94

Trailer: 2012 Escape 15A
Quote:
Hi not sure who you are addressing but I can tell you what I did .one hole in the middle of entry plate no other drilling , used eternabond tape underneath to seal to roof then some white diclor self leveling sealant around edge . Others are able to go down refrigerator chase so no holes . I didn't want to drill through our roof so I went with Lensun semi -flexible panels attached with tape after cleaning dirt wherever you need to attach . Pat
Pat, thanks for the reply and suggestion on using the eternabond tape. Altho the installation guide for my entry plate calls for six screws to anchor the plate, I much prefer your method rather than drilling. Many thanks for a better alternative. Stu
Desert Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 02:34 PM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Dweller View Post
Pat, thanks for the reply and suggestion on using the eternabond tape. Altho the installation guide for my entry plate calls for six screws to anchor the plate, I much prefer your method rather than drilling. Many thanks for a better alternative. Stu
You are very Welcome . Pat
Old 06-24-2018, 01:58 PM   #96

Trailer: 2016 19' Escape new in Feb '17
Quote:
Really not sure but my understanding the majority of panels come from China . That is my reason for getting this installed now . I don't think any ones knows what is going happen . Pat
Hi, just a heads up regarding Lensun panels. They have a sale on right now for their 100W panels @$229 each ; regular price is $340 each. I got 5 for our Escape 19'. Will post more on my plans later, but wanted to let folks know. The special price is for 5, which gives 500 watts power. I've purchased the Trimetric battery controller and their Solar charge controller which work in tandem. Also, Northern tool has a "buy $1000 stuff, get $200 back" So I ended up being able to get a new Honda EU200i for $800. Don't know how long that will last. Steve
Old 06-28-2018, 01:00 AM   #97

Trailer: Escape 5.0 2007 pulled by RAM 1500 ecodiesel
Sir, do you have an inverter somewhere on your rig? If so where does it tie in this diagram?
Thanks
Allen
allenmaloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 12:56 PM   #98

Trailer: Escape 5.0 2007 pulled by RAM 1500 ecodiesel
Sir, do you have an inverter somewhere on your rig? If so where does it tie in this diagram?
Thanks
Allen

From Post #33

Quote:
Here is a copy of the layout I did a ways back for how I am wiring up my solar. Kinda boring, but thought someone my be interested.

Click image for larger version

Name: 5.0TA Solar.jpg
Views: 188
Size: 80.2 KB
ID: 24257
Old 11-15-2019, 10:00 AM   #99

Trailer: 2015 Oliver LEII
Saw a photo of Jim's solar installation on the fiberglass camper forum and wanted to learn more about it.

Appreciate seeing Jim's installation along with other installations and input in this thread. Earlier this year installed wiring/solar port/controller and using with a Renogy suitcase 100W panel, we really like it. Next step may be a roof mounted solar system.

Thanks,
Old 11-15-2019, 10:48 AM   #100

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenmaloney View Post
Thanks
Allen

From Post #33
Jim did add his own inverter, but after all the work seems to have regretted not having Escape do it during the build. As far as where you connect a large inverter is wired directly to the battery posts.
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f3...tml#post303897

Go Power has some decent diagrams that show generically how a typical system would be installed. The one I attached mimics pretty closely a stock Escape installation when the inverter with all outlets powered option is elected.
Attached Thumbnails
go power diagram.JPG