Solar question - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 01-09-2020, 05:50 PM   #21
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
Powerwerx has several items that might be of interest to Escape owners. I recently bought their 110W portable solar panel. I just received it and haven't tried it out yet other than to confirm that it produces current. But it is lighter and more compact than the (roughly) equivalent Renogy unit, at about the same price. I've also bought and used the big PowerPole SB50 connectors from Powerwerx. See www.powerwerx.com.
hmmm, on that solar panel. thats this one?
https://powerwerx.com/fsp-110w-folding-solar-panel

its got no charge controller, and outputs 18V at 6A? that will boil a lead acid battery, so you really need some sort of charge controller with it, PWM or MPPT. The ones they sell seem to be for lifepo4 only, and will also boil lead acid.

with 4 individual panels being only 1/4" thick each, I wonder where you store the cables when its folded ? with the renogy, they fit inside between the panels with room to spare.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 08:18 PM   #22

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
hmmm, on that solar panel. thats this one?
https://powerwerx.com/fsp-110w-folding-solar-panel
That's the one. Powerwerx sells a controller for it if a customer needs one. I do not-- I have an SAE connector on the rear of my trailer that is connected to an MPPT controller inside.

The unit has about three feet of cord coming out of a mesh pocket on the side, ending in two of those MC4 connectors. The pocket is big enough to hold additional wire, but I don't know how much more will fit in it. I have to find/make a cable with MC4 connectors on one end and an SAE "bullet" connector on the other. For reasons of space and weight this might work better for me than the Renogy panel.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 08:43 PM   #23

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
For reasons of space and weight this might work better for me than the Renogy panel.
Nice 110 watt folding panel! If I didn't already have a clunker of a 160 watt rigid panel on an 'A'-frame, I would jump at this one. Half the weight and size.
--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 04:33 AM   #24

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverplace View Post
Yes! I found the solution! The anker power charger led me to the Enkeeo power station that can be recharged via 110 ac, dc while driving, or solar panel. Riverplace is actually a “she” verses a “he”, and while very handy, installing outlets is a bit more than I want to do. I really like the idea of a portable power station. I try to keep electronics charged up when knowing we will be boondocking, but sometimes it doesn’t work out or I forget.
Thanks for all the creative ideas! I’ve gotten good information over the years from this forum and the confidence to repair things myself. With a 2006, there’s always things to repair or improve, and when living somewhat remote, it’s not easy to find help or to afford. When I meet folks with newer trailers, I feel envious of all the conveniences, larger tanks, more storage, etc., but a testament to how well these trailers hold up, our 2006 continues to meet our needs and travels well. State parks seem to be getting more crowded, so a solar panel is the next step to finding available campsites and being off the grid.
Thanks again!
Look at the Jackery portable power station. I was watching a YouTube by, I think it was RVerTV and he said only the Jackery maintains a consistent 120V. Im sorry, this was a couple months ago. I hope that is accurate.

He mentioned another namebrand but I do not recall. All the others aren't regulated and voltage varies.
Old 01-10-2020, 11:42 AM   #25

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
I don't understand the appeal of buying a travel trailer with its own battery and electrical system, then carrying around another battery and set of electrical equipment instead of just equipping the trailer to suit your needs and using it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug2000 View Post
Look at the Jackery portable power station. I was watching a YouTube by, I think it was RVerTV and he said only the Jackery maintains a consistent 120V. Im sorry, this was a couple months ago. I hope that is accurate.

He mentioned another namebrand but I do not recall. All the others aren't regulated and voltage varies.
Perhaps the only information source which is less reliable than a YouTuber is a politician.

All of these things are fundamentally the same: a battery, ports for 12V DC, USB, and 120 V AC, and converters to adapt the power as required. 120 V AC is produced by an inverter, which must regulate its output. Of course some inverters are better than others. What test instrumentation is the person making the recommendation using?

It's possible that the regulation comment was about the 12V DC output, rather than the 120 V AC. Anything intended to run from a battery expects to get a varying voltage, depending on the state of charge of the battery. Unfortunately, the voltage of a 4-cell LiFePO4 battery isn't quite the same as that of a 6-cell (nominally 12 volt) lead-acid battery, so it would be nice to have a voltage regulator controlling the "12 volt" output. I don't know if any of these "power stations" have that.

The name brand probably has little to do with the actual product. Companies buy this sort of product from manufacturers in China, and have their brand stuck on it. They can change suppliers at any time (so the Brand X of today may be unrelated to the Brand X of last month). The same manufacturer can supply any number of sellers, so Brand X and Brand Y might have the same parts inside, and sometimes are even identical other than the label.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 12:19 PM   #26

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValdezAK View Post
If Ipad and Iphone are your main concerns, I would just install 12v/USB sockets inside your RV.
I think a person needs to go back to the original question. This is the best answer. If you don’t feel comfortable installing a 12 volt outlet with USB ports any RV repair shop could do it for a nominal fee. Simple solution, you then can also plug in a small inverter to the 12 volt outlet to charge a laptop while boondocking

I would probably get the folding 100 watt solar panel with an inexpensive controller.
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 01:28 PM   #27

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Hey Brian
Then there’s the ultimate source of Information: a politician on a YouTube video.
Have a great day
Iowa Dave
Old 01-10-2020, 05:51 PM   #28

Check out Will Prowse on YouTube. He reviews many solar panels batteries. Seems unbiased.

A portable lithium power pack would work really well for me. Solar on my roof wouldn’t work as I always camp in the shade. A system like the Jackery Explorer 500 I could charge while driving around and use it at night to power lights, radios and the like.

We have a trailer being built. A 2020 E19. I didn’t get many options. I had planned to add a 1200 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter, but I may pick up one of these Jackery units instead.

I don’t understand why your trailer doesn’t have a 12v plug, my 2007 Escape 17B did.

Yes Dave and Brian, take it with a grain of salt. I saw a YouTube video that said Jayco made good trailers.
Old 01-10-2020, 06:10 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Then there’s the ultimate source of Information: a politician on a YouTube video.
Quote:
Yes Dave and Brian, take it with a grain of salt. I saw a YouTube video that said Jayco made good trailers.

Quote:
A portable lithium power pack would work really well for me. ... A system like the Jackery Explorer 500 I could charge while driving around and use it at night to power lights, radios and the like.
Isn't that exactly what the trailer's battery does?
Old 01-10-2020, 10:00 PM   #30

Trailer: 2006 17B
Where did they install the 12 volt outlet on your 2007? I can’t think of a convenient place to install one without having to run wires exposed. The fuse box is under the bed, which is never converted to a table. I bought the trailer used, I wonder if a 12 volt outlet was an option the original buyer didn’t think he would need?
riverplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 10:07 PM   #31

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
As I recall, the 12V outlets were optional. I had one installed under the bed/dinette at the rear ( near the propane gas detector ) and another on the side of the wardrobe next to the bench. There is a 120VAC there too.
Looking at bill of sale, it appears that two 12VDC outlets were standard.
Handy to check state of battery with a voltmeter ( pic ).
You could have outlets installed anywhere there is a light, with wires inside the cupboard.
Attached Thumbnails
Voltmeter.jpg  
Old 01-11-2020, 09:09 AM   #32

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
Gbaglo, do u have a link for your tester
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 09:56 AM   #33

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
Gbaglo, do u have a link for your tester

I don't. Just Google Innova 12VDC voltmeter. Google will direct you to US sites ( cheaper than what I would get ).
Old 01-11-2020, 11:02 AM   #34

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Also sold under the Equus name.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 11:26 AM   #35

Trailer: 5.0 TA "Sea'scape"
If you want to check voltage with something that just plugs into one of your Escape's 12 volt outlets, search for "car charger volt meter" on Amazon or your favorite online store. You'll find many, lots of which have the added advantage of integrated 5V outlets to charge your cell phone.

Remember that these devices measure the voltage at the outlet, not at the battery, and are only a rough guide to indicate state of battery charge.
Hawkeye Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 01:06 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverplace View Post
Where did they install the 12 volt outlet on your 2007? I can’t think of a convenient place to install one without having to run wires exposed. The fuse box is under the bed, which is never converted to a table. I bought the trailer used, I wonder if a 12 volt outlet was an option the original buyer didn’t think he would need?
There was a 120 v outlet and a combination 12 v and Tv cable outlet on the left side of the wardrobe cabinet. This was the side facing the tow vehicle. It was convenient as all the cord hung over the far side of the table.

The 17B had a few different configurations around 2006.
Old 01-11-2020, 01:39 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeEZ View Post
Remember that these devices measure the voltage at the outlet, not at the battery, and are only a rough guide to indicate state of battery charge.
True. Fortunately, if there is negligible current flowing in the wires between the outlet and the battery, then there is also a negligible voltage difference, so this is a perfectly good way to measure battery voltage, as long as you are not using other devices on the same circuit when checking. Of course battery voltage is not an ideal indication of the state of battery charge.
Old 01-11-2020, 01:44 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeEZ View Post
If you want to check voltage with something that just plugs into one of your Escape's 12 volt outlets, search for "car charger volt meter" on Amazon or your favorite online store. You'll find many, lots of which have the added advantage of integrated 5V outlets to charge your cell phone.
Wow, there are a lot of those now. If they were common when I bought my plug-in voltmeter (the Innova shown earlier), I probably would have chosen the one with USB ports instead.
Old 01-11-2020, 02:58 PM   #39

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
As I recall, the 12V outlets were optional.
I believe this is correct. A few early 17’ trailers that had been for sale that are now in the Classified archives show the outlets listed under their options. Our bill of sale from 2010 has them listed under options. Otherwise it doesn’t look like the trailers would have any 12V outlets as standard. Is that different now with newer trailers?
Old 01-11-2020, 05:28 PM   #40

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
I believe this is correct. A few early 17’ trailers that had been for sale that are now in the Classified archives show the outlets listed under their options. Our bill of sale from 2010 has them listed under options. Otherwise it doesn’t look like the trailers would have any 12V outlets as standard. Is that different now with newer trailers?
Yes, the newer units have at least one 12v/USB/120v outlets and a USB 12v on the solar controller