Solar question - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 01-08-2020, 04:27 PM   #1

Trailer: 2006 17B
Solar question

My 17B has no 12 volt outlets. I am looking at purchasing a 100 watt renogy portable solar suitcase with controller, that I would clip onto my deep cell battery. What would be the best way ( simple) to charge phone, ipad etc from solar? Would that be the function of an inverter, and does anyone have a recommendation?
Thank you?
riverplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 04:46 PM   #2

Trailer: 2020 19
If Ipad and Iphone are your main concerns, I would just install 12v/USB sockets inside your RV.
ValdezAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 05:31 PM   #3

Not sure how to hook those up?
Old 01-08-2020, 05:45 PM   #4

Trailer: 2020 19
Tons of installs on YouTube in RVs.
Other options are ones that hook straight to your battery but would have to charge devices outside.
ValdezAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 05:49 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverplace View Post
My 17B has no 12 volt outlets. I am looking at purchasing a 100 watt renogy portable solar suitcase with controller, that I would clip onto my deep cell battery. What would be the best way ( simple) to charge phone, ipad etc from solar? Would that be the function of an inverter, and does anyone have a recommendation?
Thank you?
If you don't want to run 12v wiring to install a wall mount 12v outlet, you could use one of these.

https://www.amazon.com/BESTEK-Cigare...8527181&sr=8-1
Attached Thumbnails
51zcHZGGvpL._AC_SL1000_.jpg  
Old 01-08-2020, 06:51 PM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverplace View Post
Not sure how to hook those up?
get a panel mount combination cigar socket, dual USB charger like this...

https://www.amazon.com/Marine-Grade-.../dp/B0112KJ09S

get some 1/4" spade lug connectors, and some 16 gauge red and black hookup wire. cut two lengths of red and 2 of black long enough to reach from where you want to put the panel to the fuse bay in your existing power converter/center. crimp a spade lug connector on one end of each of those 4 wires. crimp a 'ring terminal' to the other end of each black wire.

cut a pair of 1" holes in the wooden panel near the power converter, mount the cigar+usb thing. connect the red spade lugs to the + terminals, and the black lugs to the - terminals.

unplug the trailer from any AC, disconnect the negative battery terminal. remove the plastic face plate from your power converter/center, the cover/bezel that goes around the fuse area..... identify an unused fuse in the power center (mine had 6 unused), and secure both red wires in the screw clamp next to that fuse, secure both black wires to the ground stud on the back of the power center. install a 15A fuse in this previously unused position. hook the battery - back up, and test away.

here's the triple thing I installed on my Escape... the middle one has high current "Powerpole" connectors fused at 30A each, so uses much heavier wiring. you can ignore that.

I used 4 separate fuses, one for cigar, one for USB, and one each 30A for the dual power pole. you can put both cigar+usb on the same 15A fuse if you like.

John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 09:54 PM   #7

Thanks so much for the info! The photos really help. I’ll have to wait for warmer weather for this project.
Old 01-08-2020, 10:46 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
... here's the triple thing I installed on my Escape... the middle one has high current "Powerpole" connectors fused at 30A each, so uses much heavier wiring.

I would be most interested as to where you obtained the Powespole socket.
--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 12:41 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalk View Post
I would be most interested as to where you obtained the Powespole socket.
--
Alan
it wasn't cheap.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077VWXXYG

I bought a triple-thing that had two cigars and the dual USB< and swapped the powerpole for one of the cigars. Those 1-1/8" marine adapters are all standardized.

btw, earlier I said 1" hole, correction, its a 1-1/8" hole.

you'll note in the picture of the back of the outlets, there's a piece of backing wood. I actually secured that first with the 4 screws, then drilled the holes using a 1-1/8" hole-saw through the Escape's luan veneer and the backing board, using the plastic frame as the guide, and with the pilot drill bit removed from the hole saw.... I spun the hole saw medium slow, and used very light pressure, took my time drilling.
Old 01-09-2020, 01:54 AM   #10

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
If you don't have anything in your trailer now, I would install a Pure Sine Wave Inverter. You want a Pure Sine Wave Inverter because electronics prefer this wave form. My friend installed a cheaper power inverter and it wouldn't run his small TV, the picture was pixelated or distorted.

Pick an inverter of about 1200 Watts for flexibility, pick one with dual USB ports, remote on off, dual plugs, and a voltage meter. I had one in a previous trailer that would beep at 12.1 volts and shut down so it would not completely drain the battery.

They are easy to install. Run a positive wire, RED, and a negative wire, BLACK, and screw it to a cabinet. Make sure to install a fuse on the positive within 8" from the battery.

Here is just a random inverter I am referencing on Amazon. I'm sure there are many videos on YouTube about this.

https://www.amazon.com/Inverter-1200...555625&sr=8-10

I often ran a cord outside and hooked up a string of white LED lights powered off my inverter.

Here is a really good article on 12Volt systems.

The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1)
Old 01-09-2020, 08:41 AM   #11

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
get a panel mount combination cigar socket, dual USB charger like this...

https://www.amazon.com/Marine-Grade-.../dp/B0112KJ09S

get some 1/4" spade lug connectors, and some 16 gauge red and black hookup wire. cut two lengths of red and 2 of black long enough to reach from where you want to put the panel to the fuse bay in your existing power converter/center. crimp a spade lug connector on one end of each of those 4 wires. crimp a 'ring terminal' to the other end of each black wire.

cut a pair of 1" holes in the wooden panel near the power converter, mount the cigar+usb thing. connect the red spade lugs to the + terminals, and the black lugs to the - terminals.

unplug the trailer from any AC, disconnect the negative battery terminal. remove the plastic face plate from your power converter/center, the cover/bezel that goes around the fuse area..... identify an unused fuse in the power center (mine had 6 unused), and secure both red wires in the screw clamp next to that fuse, secure both black wires to the ground stud on the back of the power center. install a 15A fuse in this previously unused position. hook the battery - back up, and test away.

here's the triple thing I installed on my Escape... the middle one has high current "Powerpole" connectors fused at 30A each, so uses much heavier wiring. you can ignore that.

I used 4 separate fuses, one for cigar, one for USB, and one each 30A for the dual power pole. you can put both cigar+usb on the same 15A fuse if you like.
As an option you can also use the self contained combo 12V socket/USB that Escape now uses. These are made by Magnadyne. This would be the same as John indicates above but would require one rectangular hole with appropriate backing and one set of wires run to the power center with one 15A fuse.
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...tml#post274081

On edit, something else you want to keep in mind is the unit that John linked has a 1A and a 2.1 A USB. The Magnadyne that I referenced has the capability to provide 2.4A simultaneously to each USB. I'm not an apple expert but I believe the iPad needs the higher amperage to charge properly. Phone might be ok. My point is you might be limiting yourself with the other unit. Oh and the Magnadyne unit is also available in white if you prefer over the black.
https://magnadyne.com/magnadyne-wc-1...-power-outlet/
http://app.magnadyne.com/dashboard/a...ual_Manual.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug2000 View Post
If you don't have anything in your trailer now, I would install a Pure Sine Wave Inverter. You want a Pure Sine Wave Inverter because electronics prefer this wave form.
For simply charging a phone and an iPad an inverter is unnecessary and one more piece of equipment the owner does not need based on his description. If there is something that can only be run with 120V AC then that is another story. By simply installing 12V outlets one can leverage the existing 12V DC system for low power devices at all times.
Old 01-09-2020, 10:32 AM   #12

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Another option is a 120v/USB outlet adapter for less than $10
Attached Thumbnails
61sPgJM6fpL._AC_SL1500_.jpg  
Old 01-09-2020, 10:46 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Another option is a 120v/USB outlet adapter for less than $10
Jim: Not sure how that helps. riverplace appears to be looking for the simplest way to charge from 12V DC. Because his post also mentions solar one can assume that he will not be plugged in.
Old 01-09-2020, 10:55 AM   #14

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I realize that but without any 12v outlets I'm sure he is on hookups some of the time, to charge his battery(ies) since he does not have solar at present. A stop gap measure so to speak.
Old 01-09-2020, 11:55 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I realize that but without any 12v outlets I'm sure he is on hookups some of the time, to charge his battery(ies) since he does not have solar at present. A stop gap measure so to speak.
In which case he could just use the 120V AC/USB chargers that come with the device
Old 01-09-2020, 12:19 PM   #16

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
We use the Anker portable chargers most of the time which are recharged during peak solar or in the car running around. Very rarely have any need to charge off the trailer battery.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 12:26 PM   #17

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Yikes - $24. And doesn't really look waterproof enough to use on a moving trailer in the rain. OK for indoors or in a protected location perhaps. Thanks for the link.
--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 01:07 PM   #18

Yes! I found the solution! The anker power charger led me to the Enkeeo power station that can be recharged via 110 ac, dc while driving, or solar panel. Riverplace is actually a “she” verses a “he”, and while very handy, installing outlets is a bit more than I want to do. I really like the idea of a portable power station. I try to keep electronics charged up when knowing we will be boondocking, but sometimes it doesn’t work out or I forget.
Thanks for all the creative ideas! I’ve gotten good information over the years from this forum and the confidence to repair things myself. With a 2006, there’s always things to repair or improve, and when living somewhat remote, it’s not easy to find help or to afford. When I meet folks with newer trailers, I feel envious of all the conveniences, larger tanks, more storage, etc., but a testament to how well these trailers hold up, our 2006 continues to meet our needs and travels well. State parks seem to be getting more crowded, so a solar panel is the next step to finding available campsites and being off the grid.
Thanks again!
Old 01-09-2020, 05:12 PM   #19

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Yikes - $24. And doesn't really look waterproof enough to use on a moving trailer in the rain. OK for indoors or in a protected location perhaps. Thanks for the link.
--
Alan

Powerwerx has several items that might be of interest to Escape owners. I recently bought their 110W portable solar panel. I just received it and haven't tried it out yet other than to confirm that it produces current. But it is lighter and more compact than the (roughly) equivalent Renogy unit, at about the same price. I've also bought and used the big PowerPole SB50 connectors from Powerwerx. See www.powerwerx.com.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 05:41 PM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
--
Alan
yeah, its strictly for indoor use, but so are USB and Cigar plugs.. Mine is mounted right next to my power center, on the u-shaped dinette