Some Other Pedestal Advice - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 01-11-2018, 11:17 AM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
Some Other Pedestal Advice

I'll have a Springfield at the back dinette. For the front dinette, which will have a small table (width x @ 30 inches) I want to substitute something for the ETI standard post system.

First priority is the footprint--I will use the underbed area for a bit of storage, so low profile base is key. It will very rarely be used as a table.

I am looking at these--price difference is far secondary to stability/utility

Sequoia @$57
Sequoiaâ„¢ Table Leg & Base System - ITC Marine
(the floor base is available in aluminum and stainless--I'd assume stainless is better, and in 5" and 7" diameter. Mediocre reviews focus on wobbly, may not be a significant issue with the smaller table and infrequent use.

Redwood @$100
Redwoodâ„¢ Table Leg & Base System - ITC Marine
This seems much less secure/stable than the Sequoia. Reviews are not so hot, either.

Garelick @$80
https://www.wholesalemarine.com/gare...tal-75640.html
Old 01-11-2018, 12:02 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
I'll have a Springfield at the back dinette. For the front dinette, which will have a small table (width x @ 30 inches) I want to substitute something for the ETI standard post system.

First priority is the footprint--I will use the underbed area for a bit of storage, so low profile base is key. It will very rarely be used as a table.

I am looking at these--price difference is far secondary to stability/utility

Sequoia @$57
Sequoiaâ„¢ Table Leg & Base System - ITC Marine
(the floor base is available in aluminum and stainless--I'd assume stainless is better, and in 5" and 7" diameter. Mediocre reviews focus on wobbly, may not be a significant issue with the smaller table and infrequent use.

Redwood @$100
Redwoodâ„¢ Table Leg & Base System - ITC Marine
This seems much less secure/stable than the Sequoia. Reviews are not so hot, either.

Garelick @$80
https://www.wholesalemarine.com/gare...tal-75640.html
Consider a Lagun mount for the small dinette. Nothing on the floor to get in the way, and removable when you don't need the table.
Attached Thumbnails
lagun-table-system-images.jpg  
Old 01-11-2018, 12:13 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
There have been a number of complaints on wobbling tables over the years. Escape has said to remove the top when travelling. I would think that that has a great deal to do with how much wobbling there may be. Our Sequoia pedestals were installed by Escape and very solidly. We, however, took out the table. Had we been carrying it for thousands of miles, the weight of the table may have made it wobble after such travel. So there is no way for us to know if that would have affected it.

I know of someone who had the standard set-up and it wobbled. They tried various things and even put holes right through the front of the trailer to get the table to stop wobbling, I believe using a piece of wood. I can't say for sure that they travelled with the top on but I expect that they did.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 12:58 PM   #4

Robert, that's a pretty elegant solution. I'll check it out. It looks like the L support could be stored in a bench. For installation (not a U shaped dinette) I think the mounting mechanism could go against one of the side benches if the bench wall was reinforced. How do you think it would impact the rail for the table when it's a bed? A notch in the bed support rail would probably not affect the bed stability.

Do you know if ETI has installed this?

Thanks,
b
Old 01-11-2018, 01:13 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
When we had a 17B I remember the rear dinette being a bear to deal with stock table mounts. The little table up front with the single pole was a breeze. Seems to me if you put that Lagun mount on one side as shown in the boat photo that you eliminate the seat for someone to join you at what we called our bistro table.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 03:01 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Robert, that's a pretty elegant solution. I'll check it out. It looks like the L support could be stored in a bench. For installation (not a U shaped dinette) I think the mounting mechanism could go against one of the side benches if the bench wall was reinforced.
Yes, regardless of where it's installed, it should probably be reinforced behind the bench face.
Quote:
How do you think it would impact the rail for the table when it's a bed? A notch in the bed support rail would probably not affect the bed stability.
I think a notch would be fine. Or, you could "stand off" the bracket with a block of wood behind it so no notch is necessary.
Quote:
Do you know if ETI has installed this?
Again, I don't know. You could send them a link for it and ask if they would be willing to install during the build. If not, you could have them not install anything and just supply you the table top. That way you've got a blank slate to do it yourself.
Old 01-11-2018, 03:07 PM   #7

I would highly suggest that anyone getting any other table set-up have Escape install whatever you need to put the standard table into place for a bed (or possibly some other table you have made or get that will do the same.) The ability to have a bed there is very important to many buyers.
Old 01-11-2018, 05:32 PM   #8

Cathy, my front bed/table will be two pieces--a 30 inch piece for the bed, next to the front window, and a +/-20 inch piece which will also *maybe* fit across the back of the rear dinette with some pillows for a faux u shaped dinette. If it doesn't work, the filler board will still make the front bed bigger if I have my grands with me. I might also try to put some pvc legs on the filler to make a bed tray/ipad and keyboard stand using something like this: https://www.supplyhouse.com/Everflow...yABEgIFYfD_BwE

Sounds like if I go with the Lagun I will not need ETI to install anything for the table in the front. I might take the base, pole, mount, and slide just in case I change my mind, since it's part of the package.
Old 01-11-2018, 06:25 PM   #9

If you sell --- which many did not plan to do and then the next thing they are selling --- a lot of people need that second bed and would want the standard set-up or something just like it.

Anyone should be able to get the standard set-up plus their own which they are paying extra for anyway. Or some combination that definitely gives you the extra bed.
Old 01-11-2018, 07:27 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
If you sell --- which many did not plan to do and then the next thing they are selling --- a lot of people need that second bed and would want the standard set-up or something just like it.

Anyone should be able to get the standard set-up plus their own which they are paying extra for anyway. Or some combination that definitely gives you the extra bed.
I don't really see an issue if you keep the stock table. You can make a bed regardless of the type of table mount. In fact, I should think a better table mounting system than the sockets and poles would be a selling point.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:16 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I don't really see an issue if you keep the stock table. You can make a bed regardless of the type of table mount. In fact, I should think a better table mounting system than the sockets and poles would be a selling point.
Exactly. IF you keep the stock table. And I think that there are people who are not doing that when they come up with another set-up. And there can be no bed if they, for instance, had the stock table cut or did not get it.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:45 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Exactly. IF you keep the stock table. And I think that there are people who are not doing that when they come up with another set-up. And there can be no bed if they, for instance, had the stock table cut or did not get it.
OK, fair enough. But when Escape doesn't install the table, they still supply it. Also, I doubt you'd lose a sale even if you didn't have the stock table top, now that I think of it. A piece of plywood makes it possible to make up the bed.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:14 PM   #13

Quote:
OK, fair enough. But when Escape doesn't install the table, they still supply it. Also, I doubt you'd lose a sale even if you didn't have the stock table top, now that I think of it. A piece of plywood makes it possible to make up the bed.
I think we have had people say that they were not getting the table which is why I mentioned it. But yes, whether someone wants to do plywood, well, that is possible. Would not show very well though if someone wants to see the bed set up, and you have nothing. And the other point is that you might change your mind and want to use it yourself. Think we have had someone cut the table down also.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:08 AM   #14

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Consider a Lagun mount for the small dinette. Nothing on the floor to get in the way, and removable when you don't need the table.
I second the Lagun table leg. We have the setup in our 5.0ta with the u-shaped dinnette. First of all you can remove the table upright part of the system so you can drop it down for a bed. If you have a smaller table (I made a smaller table top) you can use the ETI supplied filler boards to make a bed. If you attach it to a reinforced wall or bench it will move slightly but no major wobble. Just dont dance on it. The big plus on this system is no table base to interfer with the leg/foot room. We do drop the table down to travel .... btw I have a stock setup I need to sell. I dont believe the lack of the bulky orginal table wont hurt resale. Bill
CoolCampingKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 06:58 PM   #15

Bill, did you install the Lagun yourself? And do you remember where you got it?

What size is your table? On the website for Lagun the largest size possible is stated as 30x40 which seems like it would accommodate 4 if they kept their elbows under control .

Does anyone know the dimensions of the "standard" table from eti that has a table and a filler board? (talking a 52 inch dinette here)

I'm rethinking the springfield in favor of the lagun in BOTH dinettes. It seems like if it were mounted on the driver side rear bench, it could be pushed all the way against the back cushions, making a giant countertop for food prep.

Also seems like it'd be a lot easier to get in the bench storage on either side.
Old 01-12-2018, 07:25 PM   #16

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Bill, did you install the Lagun yourself? And do you remember where you got it?

What size is your table? On the website for Lagun the largest size possible is stated as 30x40 which seems like it would accommodate 4 if they kept their elbows under control .

Does anyone know the dimensions of the "standard" table from eti that has a table and a filler board? (talking a 52 inch dinette here)

I'm rethinking the springfield in favor of the lagun in BOTH dinettes. It seems like if it were mounted on the driver side rear bench, it could be pushed all the way against the back cushions, making a giant countertop for food prep.

Also seems like it'd be a lot easier to get in the bench storage on either side.
Hello h2owmn, I purchased the table leg from Marine Tech in the UK .... the price even with shipping was great.

https://www.marineteak.co.uk/lagun-a...ing-system-331

I made the table myself. Because the classic Escapes (don't know about the new styles) tapers toward the rear .... my table tapers from 35 down to 34 1/2 inches and is 21 inches wide (I have the u-shaped dinnet).

Check out the site and determine if the swing will work with the full dinnet. Before I bought mine I did a mockup of the arms to make sure I liked where it swings. We love ours!

Bill
CoolCampingKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 08:14 PM   #17
Site Team

I'm "kinda" sold. Just have to figure out what to do with my Springfield pedestal if I get one.
Old 01-15-2018, 01:58 PM   #18

Trailer: 2017 19' 5/02/17
This is my lagun. I reinforced with 3/4" plywood and a steel bracket. I dont have apicture handy of the reinforcement and the trailer is stored away. Love the system. Rotates 360 as well as movement of the support arm an easy removal. Solid.
Attached Thumbnails
20170819_115645.jpg  
bsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 02:40 PM   #19

Quote:
I'm "kinda" sold. Just have to figure out what to do with my Springfield pedestal if I get one.
Maybe you can find a good place in the house!
Old 01-15-2018, 03:15 PM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Maybe you can find a good place in the house!
Yep, either that or sell it. Hey, $200, shipping included for a like new Springfield pedestal. Any takers?