Sprayed Foam Insulation Underneath Trailer plus 12V water tank heating pads - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 05-18-2012, 11:21 AM   #21

Trailer: 2011 19' Escape
Re: Sprayed Foam Insulation Underneath Trailer plus 12V water tank heating pads

This is a video of my Escape 19 with the spray foam and heat pad option. Hope this helps some people with questions.

KINGJ182 - photobucket-8160-1337356196329.mp4
Old 05-18-2012, 08:54 PM   #22

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour

That foam is too wild!! Wish I had some.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 10:50 AM   #23

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19

I wonder why it stops at the bath rather then all the way to the front? Anyone know?
Old 05-20-2012, 06:57 PM   #24

In the video it appears to stop at the front stabilizers?
Old 05-20-2012, 07:36 PM   #25

Trailer: 2011 19' Escape

It does stop at the front stabilizers. As far as the reason, I do not know.
Old 05-25-2012, 12:15 AM   #26

I've seen the sprayed foam under a 19' Escape, and it looks like it would make repairing anything under it extremely difficult.
It dried to a very hard, bubbly, uneven surface - hard to keep clean. And if a water tank or line should need repair, I've no idea how you'd get to it, except to chisel through the insulation.

Despite my concerns, I'm inclined to get the foam anyway, because I've heard a couple of times from people who experienced frozen tanks.

blugene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:48 PM   #27

I understand this is an older thread. But I thought I should jump in so people can consider about foam insulation. We have had this underbelly foam insulation since Nov 2011. Our first trip was in Dec 2011, couple of nights below 0 degree C, it was no problem. Warm inside with heater on and off, a bit condensation. We have 12V heating pads for black and grey water. Dumping was no issue.

We always stay plugged in during winter months. yes, the insulation does get dusty from road debris, I just light wash them. The color of the foam deepens as time goes on. I agree that it will be more difficult to fix the tanks/plumbing if there is a problem, but that would the sacrifice, I guess.

We camped in Portland, Or in the summer, it got to 90 degree F during the day, the foam helped kept it cool until maybe late afternoon, then outside started to cool again. So we just turned on the fan. Overall, I think the foam is a great choice for us.
rainbowheartdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:04 PM   #28

I looked under my new 19' with the foam and it covers the entire trailer from the tool box back to the spare tire. The foam makes the floor inside warm and helps retain the furnace heat. As far as the heat pads, I thought they were on the grey and fresh tanks as the black tank is located inside the trailer under the toilet and into the street side dinette area. Another question for Reace down the road. My switch is located under the bed. I'm thinking of switching out the chrome switch for a lighted on that is lighted when the heaters are in use, going to so the same on the battery disconnect under the dinette.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:30 PM   #29

>As far as the heat pads, I thought they were on the grey and fresh tanks >as the black tank is located inside the trailer...

Hi Jim,
It is great that 19's have black tank inside.
we have a 17', maybe that is the difference, I remember I specifically asked about fresh water tank when we added the heating pads. The answer I got was that if we fill them up, it will take a long time for them to freeze, (assuming we don't camp at minus 30 degree C for 1 week).
cheers!
rainbowheartdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 07:26 AM   #30

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19

I have a question about the external shower hookup...

I understand that the spray insulation doesn't protect the hookup. But like a hose attachment on a house, freezing might or might not be a problem depending on the location of the shutoff valve relative to the wall insulation. On a house tap, there are two solutions for freezing weather -- you either have a separate shut-off value inside the insulation and shut this value while leaving the outside valve open, or you have a special valve that is turned on/off from the outside but the valve itself is actually located inside your house insulation.

So what's the situation on the external shower hookup? Is there a separate shut-off valve inside the wall of the trailer so that you don't need to worry about the pipe cracking, or is the valve itself inside the insulation, or is an external shower hookup just a bad idea if you plan to camp in below-freezing temperatures?

Thanks for the info...

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2018 Ford F150
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:00 AM   #31

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbailey
I have a question about the external shower hookup...

I understand that the spray insulation doesn't protect the hookup. But like a hose attachment on a house, freezing might or might not be a problem depending on the location of the shutoff valve relative to the wall insulation. On a house tap, there are two solutions for freezing weather -- you either have a separate shut-off value inside the insulation and shut this value while leaving the outside valve open, or you have a special valve that is turned on/off from the outside but the valve itself is actually located inside your house insulation.

So what's the situation on the external shower hookup? Is there a separate shut-off valve inside the wall of the trailer so that you don't need to worry about the pipe cracking, or is the valve itself inside the insulation, or is an external shower hookup just a bad idea if you plan to camp in below-freezing temperatures?

Thanks for the info...
We had Reace install separate shut off valves just inside the closet right behind the outside shower box.
This could also be done after as I believe the pipes go up through the closet regardless.

Hope this helps
Doug
Old 09-22-2012, 10:51 AM   #32

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

The outside shower is about two feet higher than the pump that feeds water to it, so I expect that it drains every time you shut the pump off. I would remove the shower head and hose though, if freezing.

baglo
Old 09-22-2012, 10:54 AM   #33

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19

Excellent, thanks. Always good to know a problem has already been considered and solved.

Baglo: I wouldn't assume that without a closer look at the pump and plumbing. If there's a back-flow preventer on the pump, and no other taps lower than the shower, it might hold the water. Certainly removing the outside fittings will help it drain, though.

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2018 Ford F150
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:56 AM   #34

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

Good point.

baglo
Old 04-13-2013, 07:15 AM   #35

Trailer: sold it
We have the foam and heater pads.

I installed a permanent spray nozzle thing in the black water tank and had to scrape a bit of foam away in order to get at the tank, then I replaced the foam after. It wasn't a problem at all.

I've only used the heater pads once. I had the trailer all ready for our departure, including having the fresh water tank filled up. Then we had to postpone our trip for a week so I turned on the heater pads - and nothing froze. It was about -10C at night and just around freezing during the day. The trailer was plugged into our house so I had a small electric heater running in it as well. There were three points I was worried about - the outside shower, the fresh water tank drain tap, and the "low water drain plug." Normally I wouldn't have had the outside shower on at all so there wouldn't have been any water in those pipes, but I left it open when I was checking the plumbing after the winter so it was fully primed. The other two points will always be exposed and full of water though. Anyway - everything survived the week no problem.