Springfield 3-Stage Pedestal Install - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 08-13-2015, 05:23 PM   #1

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19'
Springfield 3-Stage Pedestal Install

There is a lot of discussion about this pedestal but not much info on how to install it. I installed mine today and thought it might be helpful to document the project. I have 19’ with the standard dinette. This is by no means a "how-to", just a simple guide.

First, I took some measurements. I found that the the floor space between the front of the benches was 1 1/2” wider than the back. So the dinette floor space bows out slightly. I also observed that the original pedestal bases were offset 1” towards the driver side bench, probably to provide a little more wiggle room on the passenger side. These are just minor details that don’t really affect the install, but I wanted to center the new pedestal.

To center the pedestal, I used a T square to pencil a cross and align the base holes. I marked the holes and drilled some pilots. Then I used the supplied screws to mount the pedestal to the floor.

After mounting and collapsing the pedestal, drop the table into bed position. There should be just under 5/8” clearance between the top of the pedestal and the table slider. Align the pedestal table mount so that it is flush with the sides of the table slider. Mark the holes and drill pilots. I attached the table using the countersunk screws from the original pedestal bases, but it would be better to use flatheads.

Thats pretty much it! The table sits 2.5” from the back wall in fully raised position. I should have mounted the pedestal base a few inches from center toward the wall to compensate for this, but I don’t think it would make much of a difference. The table is very stable.

I am a little disappointed that the pedestal doesn’t seem to have enough power to raise the table on its own. It needs a little help. Does anyone else with a full size table have this problem?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0940.jpg   IMG_0942.jpg   IMG_0944.jpg   IMG_0946.jpg  
Daubsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 05:25 PM   #2

A few more pics...
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0947.jpg   IMG_0949.jpg   IMG_0948.jpg  
Old 08-13-2015, 05:38 PM   #3

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape (usetaowna a 19, a Burro and 2 Casitas)
Very nice. Where'd you get the pedestal?

Greg
Greggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 05:47 PM   #4

Overtons. Now is a good time to buy with 20% off!
Old 08-13-2015, 06:08 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
That's a great price. Good work on figuring out how to deal with the non-parallel space. Probably better to have that little bit of clearance. Would have been a nuisance to had ended up with a close fit that allowed the table edge to rub on the vinyl.

I've got a feeling that those pedestals are going to be more and more popular as people find out about them (and how horrible the standard one is) to the point that they become an option.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 06:14 PM   #6

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
Great tutorial. Thank you!

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 06:32 PM   #7

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
...(and how horrible the standard one is)...
I have absolutely no issues whatsoever with the standard double-pedestal ETI table.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 07:21 PM   #8
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Looks good Sean. We love ours. With the smaller table due to the U-shaped Dinette, the pedestal doesn't need any assistance lifting it, but perhaps yours does because the table is larger/heavier.
Old 08-13-2015, 09:59 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
I have absolutely no issues whatsoever with the standard double-pedestal ETI table.
Well, maybe horrible as well as beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I've had a table support similar to the type ETI uses but, by comparison, the tapers were machined, fit well and it was rock solid. The first time I sat in an ETI demo unit, put my elbows on the table (yeah, must have been raised in a barn ) and the table tilted noticeably, I thought, well that would have been a coffee spill for sure.

Throw in the two pedestals taking up valuable foot room, more difficult to use than an easy up and down single pedestal and I do wonder why ETI doesn't upgrade their offerings.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 04:46 AM   #10

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
If I seat the dual pedestal table with enough force it doesn't wobble much. If I don't use enough force it's all over the place. Same as the table in the Starcraft, so it's no big deal, pretty much used to it. However the 3 stage is on the list for next spring.
Old 08-14-2015, 05:08 AM   #11

Trailer: 2014 5TA/ *012 17B (previous)
How did you fix the holes in the vinyl?
'Have No Regrets'
Chapitre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 10:17 AM   #12

Trailer: Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
The issues and fixes posted in this thread are related to an escape 19 with a table that is very difficult to raise and lower with the oe pedestal system.. It is heavy and akward to manipulate. The probability of injury to the owner, floor,vinyl wall, and cabinets is high. Maybe not so with the 15A.
Old 08-14-2015, 10:29 AM   #13

Trailer: Escape 19, 2018: Last Best Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapitre View Post
How did you fix the holes in the vinyl?

When I installed a pedestal in our 17, I used a colored caulk from Ace. Seemed to work and provided a nice waterproof seal.

Klaus

Honda Pilot 2019
ksitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 10:55 AM   #14

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
The issues and fixes posted in this thread are related to an escape 19 with a table that is very difficult to raise and lower with the oe pedestal system.. It is heavy and akward to manipulate. The probability of injury to the owner, floor,vinyl wall, and cabinets is high. Maybe not so with the 15A.
I was referring to the larger 4-person table in my 15 which I believe is of a similar (if not the exact same) size as that in the 19. I don't use it as a bed so don't have to fight putting it up and down, but other people seem to manage that very well. I do not think it is a horrible table and simply didn't want newbies to think they now have to spend a lot of money on a different table system. I don't have a problem with it being too wobbly but then I get up from the table using my own legs, not the table for support.

Edited: If I did have to make up a bed on a daily basis, I would have ordered the other table which is held by a cleat to the wall and then lowered to the bed position on hinges.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote