SpringField Marine Pedestal - and a few more mods - Page 14 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 05-11-2016, 08:35 PM   #131

Trailer: 2017 Escape21. Pick up date May,2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Ginger, there will be a 3" step up. I don't see it being a tripping hazard at all, as you are only sliding in to the table there, or if no table just making stepping in. Should you trip, there is a lot of cushioning there.

I seriously see no concern. Besides, it is a done deal anyway.
Yea,you're right but you've never seen me fall. It's not pretty.

Ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 10:41 AM   #132

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Ginger, I hear you. Any raised floor whether it is in a house, store, building, or a trailer is a fall risk and shouldn't be taken lightly. After caring for three elderly parents and navigating care facilities we've learned a lot about the seriousness of falls and how to evaluate risk. Even though there are cushions in the dinette area, there is a lot of wood and hard edges that could cause injury. No fall is a good fall.

Possible solutions might be to make a small triangular ramp that would fit up against the raised floor and make it potentially easier to navigate the area and give it a gentler rise.

My MIL just returned to her nursing home from a fall with sutures and a concussion. They have her dressed in Sumo Pads to try and prevent re-injuring herself. While I wouldn't recommend going camping in Sumo Pads, I guess if I could keep going out in the trailer a few years longer I might try it.

Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 10:48 AM   #133

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Ginger, I hear you. Any raised floor whether it is in a house, store, building, or a trailer is a fall risk and shouldn't be taken lightly. After caring for three elderly parents and navigating care facilities we've learned a lot about the seriousness of falls and how to evaluate risk. Even though there are cushions in the dinette area, there is a lot of wood and hard edges that could cause injury. No fall is a good fall.

Possible solutions might be to make a small triangular ramp that would fit up against the raised floor and make it potentially easier to navigate the area and give it a gentler rise.

My MIL just returned to her nursing home from a fall with sutures and a concussion. They have her dressed in Sumo Pads to try and prevent re-injuring herself. While I wouldn't recommend going camping in Sumo Pads, I guess if I could keep going out in the trailer a few years longer I might try it.
Now I have to see that ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 10:59 AM   #134

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
We just got photos from my wife's sister, of her 88 yo father who had a fall. Major gash requiring stitches, and a few days later his whole head is now purple and yellow. I guess the blood thinners aided in that.

My mom had a fall a few years ago, climbing down from the second to the first step on a step ladder. This is when she found out her bones were fragile as a china doll, and ended up with a lot of steel in her lower leg.

Falls with elderly people account for many millions of dollars every year.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 11:12 AM   #135

Trailer: 2017 Escape21. Pick up date May,2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
We just got photos from my wife's sister, of her 88 yo father who had a fall. Major gash requiring stitches, and a few days later his whole head is now purple and yellow. I guess the blood thinners aided in that.

My mom had a fall a few years ago, climbing down from the second to the first step on a step ladder. This is when she found out her bones were fragile as a china doll, and ended up with a lot of steel in her lower leg.

Falls with elderly people account for many millions of dollars every year.
I'm not accepting elderly yet, I just don't remember sometimes. Our table will be up most of time. I just didn't know about the step up. Probably will be a lot of things I don't know about.
Ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 11:14 AM   #136

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger View Post
I'm not accepting elderly yet, I just don't remember sometimes.
I certainly hope that is not an indication of being elderly, or I will have to grow up real fast, as my remembry does not always work so good either.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 12:03 PM   #137

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape born Dec 28, 2016, Casita 17' (sold)
so.... my Springfield pedistal arrives later this week. very excited.

i am also likely going to buy the Dicor 4 way slide, and do the mod to it.

Losangeles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 09:36 PM   #138

a few more mods

finished my shelf with a little help from Chris R, Decided to go with teak after all . Had to do it the poor man's way . bought a shower mat on sale , took it apart and glued the boards together .Teak is pricey . Something I have wanted to do since we got trailer . One more down .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0001 2.jpg (102.2 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0002 2.jpg (79.2 KB, 52 views)
Old 05-23-2016, 09:40 PM   #139

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Nice work, Pat! Really like the teak and it's a great wet area wood.
We have the 3M Bath soapdish and shampoo holder under the sink in almost the exact location as yours.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 09:54 PM   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Nice work, Pat! Really like the teak and it's a great wet area wood.
We have the 3M Bath soapdish and shampoo holder under the sink in almost the exact location as yours.
Thanks Gregg . Like minds think alike . Pat