Springfield Pedestal Question - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-22-2019, 07:57 AM   #41

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henk View Post
Hello,

New owner-to-be here, having ordered an Escape 21. Lots of help by reading the Forum. Do have a question that I'd not considered before, i.e. Springfield Pedestal vs. stock table pedestal. Thoughts welcome. Note: the trailer will be used by two, my wife and me. Don't expect to ever use the U-Dinette in the bed configuration for overnight guest(s); though I'm told that it also makes a handy and comfortable "lounge" area. Do you often use it that way? Also, least expensive place to get the pedestal? Overton's currently does not have it available. Also, does it negatively affect accessibility to rear bench, e.g. converter and/or storage? If so, how do you cope. Also, do you get the standard Escape slider table installed? Lastly, is it really much more "firm/solid" a base than the stock table? Lots of questions. Need to let the good folks at Escape know soon, so please don't "table" these questions. Many thanks. Henk

These are all good questions and concerns. And have all been discussed previously ad nauseum. Use the search feature to get a comprehensive overview.
Old 08-22-2019, 08:26 AM   #42

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
We ordered the optional "U" dinette which comes with the smaller table. We removed the table maybe twice and stored it in the truck and used the 'lounge" set up with 2 1x2 slats and the corner cushion seen here post #230 http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...k-3134-23.html
Attached Images

Old 08-22-2019, 10:22 AM   #43

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
“Henk”: same name as my hubby. Henk spelled with a “e” :-)
Old 08-22-2019, 12:01 PM   #44

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marry View Post
“Henk”: same name as my hubby. Henk spelled with a “e” :-)
At first I wondered if it was your husband.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 12:46 PM   #45

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
At first I wondered if it was your husband.
Could easily have been.
Who knows where my Henk hangs out right now
Old 08-22-2019, 02:43 PM   #46
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henk View Post
Hello,

New owner-to-be here, having ordered an Escape 21. Lots of help by reading the Forum. Do have a question that I'd not considered before, i.e. Springfield Pedestal vs. stock table pedestal. Thoughts welcome. Note: the trailer will be used by two, my wife and me. Don't expect to ever use the U-Dinette in the bed configuration for overnight guest(s); though I'm told that it also makes a handy and comfortable "lounge" area. Do you often use it that way? Also, least expensive place to get the pedestal? Overton's currently does not have it available. Also, does it negatively affect accessibility to rear bench, e.g. converter and/or storage? If so, how do you cope. Also, do you get the standard Escape slider table installed? Lastly, is it really much more "firm/solid" a base than the stock table? Lots of questions. Need to let the good folks at Escape know soon, so please don't "table" these questions. Many thanks. Henk
We've used the U dinette in bed configuration a couple times for unexpected guests.

the springfield pedestal and dicor 2-way slider is definitely more solid than the stock setup, which has a fair bit of side to side wobble. I did find I had to tighten the adjuster nut on the springfield clamps before it stopped wobbling. I like being able to slide the table 'backwards' rather than to a side, for getting in/out of the seats, also when lounging in the seats and doing late night reading or whatever.

I think I'll be able to remove the power converter if I have to. We try not to store much under the rear bench because with our rear bike rack, we need more weight up front.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 04:25 PM   #47

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I've always considered the stock twin pedestals to be the lowest quality piece of hardware on an Escape. From the first day we sat in a demo Escape and saw how flimsy the stock ones were, not to mention the awkwardness of actually lowering the table, we knew no Escape we owned would ever have the stock set-up.

Aside from being so much higher quality the Springfield is a single pedestal and foot space under the table is finite and one pedestal is better than two.

It's doubtful that we will ever lower it for bed use but it's still worth it to us to have a much more sturdy pedestal and know if we want the table down it'll go down in an effortless flash. We did have one on our boat and loved it.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 04:41 PM   #48
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Note that at least for an older Escape 21 that doesn't the raised floor under the dinette, you'll need about 4" additional spacer between the Dpringfield, and the table top. The Dicor 2-way slider takes about 0.5", while the original piece of square plywood and plastic sliders used about 1". With the Dicor, I used two 6" long clear grained redwood 2x4's on edge, and the table height is perfect, and the springfield is fully compressed when the table is in the 'bed' position.

measure this carefully on yours. measure your Springfield compressed and fully extended, and measure the floor to the underside of table top in the bed position and at its normal height.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote