Stabilizer Crank Mod - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-28-2018, 10:23 PM   #21

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
You must have a magic touch. I don't know how you spin the crank and hold it sideways at the same time without the end contacting your palm.
Ron
I donno. Just do, I guess. Haven't ever thought about it until this thread. I do have to take care not to bash the side of the trailer when the handle is at the top of its rotation.
Old 03-01-2018, 07:07 AM   #22

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
I finally dug our the crank this morning to see why I never saw using it as any kind of problem. I noted that my procedure is that I do not drop to my knees at a 90° angle to the jack, it is more of a 45° angle. I therefore grip the crank in two locations with my arms/hands at a 90° angle and do not put the palm of my hand over the end of the crank. I apply a small amount of inward (lateral) pressure with both hands as I operate the crank. I cranked the stabilizer up and down several times, but did not have the crank “jump” of the nut even once. I don’t think it ever moved outward even the slightest bit while I was turning it in either direction so I guess I am of the same school of thought as Glenn. But that does not mean that other members do not have an issue with the crank. I still think Ron created a very nice modified crank.
Old 03-01-2018, 09:17 AM   #23

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
It's a cold sleeting day so what little mod can I do in my nice dry and warm workshop? One little irritation of using the stabilizer crank is that some sideways force is required to keep it from jumping off the hex nut. The result is that the end of the small diameter shaft is shoved into your palm. Not a particularly pleasant situation.

Now before I go too far, recognizing the proclivity of many forum members to use their impact drills as stabilizer movers, I'll comment on why I don't use mine.

1. the noise, I don't like it and I don't think others around me enjoy it either

2. the lack of bio feedback, if the lead screw is contaminated with grit the impact drill doesn't care. It'll just ram it into position anyway.

3. the lack of bio feedback, I like to tweak the amount of force that the each stabilizer is carrying. You can't really do that with an impact drill.

So, a quick and easy mod for a down and dirty day outside. I had several wood choices for the knob. I used Burma Teak and I know which one Myron would have chosen.

Still on the crude side compared to ones installed on braces designed over a hundred years ago but it should be a lot more comfortable to use.

Ron who loves impact drills, just not for stabilizers.
I have had various camper/trailers over the years and when I used the ETI provided stabilizer crank I found the quality lacking. I purchased a decent quality replacement. I have however, through this tread been thinking an actual vintage "brace and bit" style crank could be modified to do the job nicely. But I do understand the joy of creating a solution to a problem. Tanks for sharing Ron! Bill
CoolCampingKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 01:45 PM   #24

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
You can also just use a speeder handle from a socket wrench set - it will have a handle with bearing. The wide wooden knob and better bearing of a brace or Ron's custom piece are nicer most speeder handles, but for availability and convenience... that's what I do.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote