Stabilizer Crank Mod - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-27-2018, 12:13 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Stabilizer Crank Mod

It's a cold sleeting day so what little mod can I do in my nice dry and warm workshop? One little irritation of using the stabilizer crank is that some sideways force is required to keep it from jumping off the hex nut. The result is that the end of the small diameter shaft is shoved into your palm. Not a particularly pleasant situation.

Now before I go too far, recognizing the proclivity of many forum members to use their impact drills as stabilizer movers, I'll comment on why I don't use mine.

1. the noise, I don't like it and I don't think others around me enjoy it either

2. the lack of bio feedback, if the lead screw is contaminated with grit the impact drill doesn't care. It'll just ram it into position anyway.

3. the lack of bio feedback, I like to tweak the amount of force that the each stabilizer is carrying. You can't really do that with an impact drill.

So, a quick and easy mod for a down and dirty day outside. I had several wood choices for the knob. I used Burma Teak and I know which one Myron would have chosen.

Still on the crude side compared to ones installed on braces designed over a hundred years ago but it should be a lot more comfortable to use.

Ron who loves impact drills, just not for stabilizers.
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0005_resize.JPG   IMGP0006_resize.JPG  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 12:34 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
It's a cold sleeting day so what little mod can I do in my nice dry and warm workshop? One little irritation of using the stabilizer crank is that some sideways force is required to keep it from jumping off the hex nut. The result is that the end of the small diameter shaft is shoved into your palm. Not a particularly pleasant situation.

Now before I go too far, recognizing the proclivity of many forum members to use their impact drills as stabilizer movers, I'll comment on why I don't use mine.

1. the noise, I don't like it and I don't think others around me enjoy it either

2. the lack of bio feedback, if the lead screw is contaminated with grit the impact drill doesn't care. It'll just ram it into position anyway.

3. the lack of bio feedback, I like to tweak the amount of force that the each stabilizer is carrying. You can't really do that with an impact drill.

So, a quick and easy mod for a down and dirty day outside. I had several wood choices for the knob. I used Burma Teak and I know which one Myron would have chosen.

Still on the crude side compared to ones installed on braces designed over a hundred years ago but it should be a lot more comfortable to use.

Ron who loves impact drills, just not for stabilizers.
Very nice Ron . I do hate that end in my palm ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 12:46 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
Wow! That is a great idea. I always use the crank, too. I tried a drill once but it took too much time taking it out of the bag and setting it up. I lower the stabilizers onto plastic bed risers so I don't have to crank too far. And with a 5.0TA I only have two stabilizers to deal with.
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 01:12 PM   #4

Trailer: None now
I remember years ago using the second tool which is called a brace with a bracing bit while hanging off poles. Do not miss that at all.
You would work your self into a position where the head was nestled against your stomach and pull in as you drilled.
Always seemed to be in easements where you had to cart everything in by hand often including the pole.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 01:52 PM   #5

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
nice! i never like the feel of the end getting hot on my palm this would be great!
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 02:38 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape 19, 2018: Last Best Escape
This is just so obvious that it's genius! It's one of those "why didn't I think of that?", having experienced the the same lack of biofeedback from my cordless drill. I always end up tightening the stabilizers with the hand crank. Now, I won't have to do that.

Is that a bearing race in teak handle?

Honda Pilot 2019
ksitte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 04:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksitte View Post

Is that a bearing race in teak handle?
Yes, just a cheap bearing from my assortment of miscellaneous bearings similar to this one but with a smaller i.d. I used it because the i.d. was close to the odd ball o.d. of the handle. The handle is a few thou under 3/8". The i.d. of the bearing is 3/8". So I took a cold chisel and put a few lengthwise grooves in the handle. Made for a nice tight wack on fit. (tech term)

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0007_resize.JPG  
Old 02-28-2018, 08:59 AM   #8

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
I know I got a spare wheel bearing tucked away somewhere. Must go search for it, and maybe some nice cherry scraps.
Old 02-28-2018, 10:01 AM   #9

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
I love it when practical meets elegance! Beautiful.
Old 02-28-2018, 10:03 AM   #10

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
nice! i never like the feel of the end getting hot on my palm this would be great!
Maybe my hands lack sensitivity, but the combined 30 seconds it takes to lower the two stabilizers of my 5.0TA has never “burned” my hands. If it did, I would wear work gloves.
Old 02-28-2018, 12:05 PM   #11

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
yes that was with my 17 much easier with the 5.0. I wasn't saying i needed the mod but just that i had experienced the hot feeling on my palm and the mod would be a nice addition. Not many of the mods we do are really necessary but the person who does the mod feels it makes the experience better. A beautiful well crafted piece of wood in the hand is nice.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 02:47 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
yes that was with my 17 much easier with the 5.0. I wasn't saying i needed the mod but just that i had experienced the hot feeling on my palm and the mod would be a nice addition. Not many of the mods we do are really necessary but the person who does the mod feels it makes the experience better. A beautiful well crafted piece of wood in the hand is nice.
I wouldn’t be surprised (maybe I’m wrong) if the OP modified the crank for something to do. And yes, some mods are not absolutely necessary, but I would believe that the majority rather than the minority of mods we owners do improve functionality to some degree. I wasn’t criticizing, I was just saying I can’t imagine that what little time and effort I spend raising and lowering the stabilizers would be uncomfortable, painful, or result in enough friction to heat up the flesh on my hand. Furthermore, if I were to create a piece of artwork for a crank handle, then I would have to be careful as to how and where I stored it for fear of it’s aesthetic appearance getting damaged.
Old 02-28-2018, 02:50 PM   #13

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
You didn't see the storage box Ron built?
Old 02-28-2018, 04:02 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
I wouldn’t be surprised (maybe I’m wrong) if the OP modified the crank for something to do.
I was being a little bit facetious about that. I do seem to have an unending number of projects on the go.

But two things finally got me off my butt to do the mod. One, on this last trip, we used the stabilizers much more than we usually do. I found myself noticing how irritating the rotating 3/8" steel shaft pressed into my palm was. Secondly, that coupled with the knowledge that quality tools, even those made over 100 years ago, recognized that good ergonomics should be part of tool design, put a smooth knob on the end of a crank shaft.

I just tried out the mod today. The difference is amazing. Worth doing, to me, yes.

Ron
Old 02-28-2018, 04:19 PM   #15

I don't understand why the end of the crank is pressed into your palm.
Old 02-28-2018, 04:54 PM   #16

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Not being as handy as Ron, I would be inclined to buy a socket adapter for that brace (or another one), rather than custom-building. It's another option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I don't understand why the end of the crank is pressed into your palm.
Because...
Quote:
One little irritation of using the stabilizer crank is that some sideways force is required to keep it from jumping off the hex nut. The result is that the end of the small diameter shaft is shoved into your palm.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 05:14 PM   #17

Haven't had that problem.
Old 02-28-2018, 05:30 PM   #18

Quote:
I was being a little bit facetious about that. I do seem to have an unending number of projects on the go.

But two things finally got me off my butt to do the mod. One, on this last trip, we used the stabilizers much more than we usually do. I found myself noticing how irritating the rotating 3/8" steel shaft pressed into my palm was. Secondly, that coupled with the knowledge that quality tools, even those made over 100 years ago, recognized that good ergonomics should be part of tool design, put a smooth knob on the end of a crank shaft.

I just tried out the mod today. The difference is amazing. Worth doing, to me, yes.

Ron
You are correct with that Ron. The quality of tools nowadays is, for the most part, not what it once was. It’s good that you were able to improve the crank to meet your needs. As an aside, did you know the word facetious is the only word in the English language with ALL the vowels in CORRECT alphabetical order. That’s a good “around the campfire” question!
Old 02-28-2018, 06:17 PM   #19

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
As an aside, did you know the word facetious is the only word in the English language with ALL the vowels in CORRECT alphabetical order.
That’s a good one, Carl! I’m always looking for something to ‘stump’ the grandkids!

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 10:01 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I would be inclined to buy a URL="http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=32300"]socket adapter[/URL] for that brace (or another one), rather than custom-building. It's another option.
Oh trust, my nemisis, Lee Valley, strikes again. That would make a pretty high class crank. On the other hand I could make mine in less time than it'd take to drive to LV and it was free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Haven't had that problem.
You must have a magic touch. I don't know how you spin the crank and hold it sideways at the same time without the end contacting your palm.

About wearing work gloves, my wife always tells me that I should wear gloves, and I say, ah, maybe I won't say what I say, might get me in trouble.

Ron