Stairway Handle or Railing in 5.0TA - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 08-14-2018, 07:42 AM   #21

Trailer: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
Agree, get that bath wall reinforced. I had the corner reinforced so I was able to add a custom oak railing. What is also very useful to to add a rail on either side at the top of the stairs.

Chris, I really like your rails! Did you have to reinforce both sides to attach them or just the bathroom wall? Did you custom make them yourself?
Old 08-14-2018, 08:08 AM   #22

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I'd be happy to Rich. All I need is for you to buy me a new Airstream. Under 25 feet mind you - it has to fit in my RV garage!
Sorry, but current (especially now) financial circumstances make that unlikely, but if things change, I’ll let you know 😜. BTW, building a fixed-length storage unit was a great way to prevent 2 foot-itis. (Except for either a 21’ or 5.0TA, of course.)
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 03:09 PM   #23

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilola View Post
Chris, I really like your rails! Did you have to reinforce both sides to attach them or just the bathroom wall? Did you custom make them yourself?
thanks, I think they are solid 1 1/4 inch oak dowels. Only the bathroom wall needs some reinforcement. The vertical ones at the top of the steps are attached to solid wall material, no need for extra reinforcement.
Old 08-15-2018, 10:29 AM   #24

Trailer: 2018 5.0 TA
Smile Thanks for responses to stairway handle or rainling post

I am so grateful for the suggestions and photos you so generously sent to me. The pictures were so helpful. We have decided to do a railing along the bathroom
wall. We will have it reinforced but will decide on the exact railing after we get the trailer. We are also putting a handle at the top of the stairs on the passenger side.
We were only in an 5.0TA for a couple of hours and ordered the same day, so I think its best to decide exactly what we are going to use.
poodlespal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 04:17 PM   #25

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
slippery stairs

We are thinking about getting the carpeting replaced on the stairs to something a lot more grippy. The carpeting our 5er came with is just too slippery. I badly bruised my heel taking a slider down from the bed.
Old 08-22-2018, 04:57 PM   #26

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zahuta View Post
We are thinking about getting the carpeting replaced on the stairs to something a lot more grippy. The carpeting our 5er came with is just too slippery. I badly bruised my heel taking a slider down from the bed.
How about trying something like this first, easier then tearing off the carpet.
Old 08-22-2018, 05:12 PM   #27
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
How about trying something like this first, easier then tearing off the carpet.
Amazon sells something similar. Not a bad idea.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FI3VKW6..._u8DFBbS2AY4K3
Old 10-02-2018, 09:17 PM   #28

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA
Slippery carpet on steps

What's that old saying about closing the barn door??!! I read this thread about the carpet being slippery quite a while ago. I thought about installing hand holds and the non-slip treads. Never did it, unfortunately... Last Wednesday, We drove 500 miles to Seaside OR. and set up our 5.0 TA. While Elaine was making up the bed, she slipped on the steps and broke two bones in her ankle. Spent 6 hours in the Emergency Room, about a 10 hour drive home, and surgery the next morning. So, be careful! I wouldn't want this kind of accident to happen to anyone else.
Mark&Elaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 10:01 PM   #29

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark&Elaine View Post
What's that old saying about closing the barn door??!! I read this thread about the carpet being slippery quite a while ago. I thought about installing hand holds and the non-slip treads. Never did it, unfortunately... Last Wednesday, We drove 500 miles to Seaside OR. and set up our 5.0 TA. While Elaine was making up the bed, she slipped on the steps and broke two bones in her ankle. Spent 6 hours in the Emergency Room, about a 10 hour drive home, and surgery the next morning. So, be careful! I wouldn't want this kind of accident to happen to anyone else.
So sorry to hear! Elaine and I send our best to your Elaine for a speed recovery....
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 09:09 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
So sorry to hear! Elaine and I send our best to your Elaine for a speed recovery....
Ditto, sorry to hear that! I don't know if a handrail would of helped in this case.

I wonder if ETI heard enough about issues with slippery carpet that they might make some modification with the steps. Perhaps eliminating the carpet altogether and replacing with a rubberized surface?
Old 10-03-2018, 09:53 AM   #31

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: All... Sorry this happened but I feel it's a case of operator error. We have owned our 5.0TA since 2014 and before that a 5.0 from 2008 and never had a slip or fall on the stairs. No railings either. Not sayin' it can't happen just hasn't to us!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 10:07 AM   #32
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Stair CAN be dangerous as Elaine found out!

I've lived in home with carpeted stairs for more than 40 years. I learned a long time ago, go SLOW and watch your feet. But I've still fallen. Fortunately (knock on wood) I've never hurt myself.

I've found in Ten Forward, I don't "walk the stairs." More of a toddler walk (feet/hands), both up and down. Think "Three Points of Contact."

What I worry about is the bottom cut step. Since I sleep on a twin bed, I'm going to move it to the passenger side, so I'm force to go up and down on the drivers side.... and continue to go slow.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 10:17 AM   #33

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Stair CAN be dangerous as Elaine found out!

I've lived in home with carpeted stairs for more than 40 years. I learned a long time ago, go SLOW and watch your feet. But I've still fallen. Fortunately (knock on wood) I've never hurt myself.

I've found in Ten Forward, I don't "walk the stairs." More of a toddler walk (feet/hands), both up and down. Think "Three Points of Contact."

What I worry about is the bottom cut step. Since I sleep on a twin bed, I'm going to move it to the passenger side, so I'm force to go up and down on the drivers side.... and continue to go slow.
Hi: Donna D... Sloe is good in most cases. I'm usually "Bummed out" by the time I get to the bottom. I have fallen from grace a few times too!!!
Seems that you survived your eastern sojourn. Alf
Escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 10:22 AM   #34

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
When I considered purchasing a new 5.0 TA in 2016 I spoke with Reace re: reinforcing walls and installation of assist railings and was told it could/can be done.
Old 10-03-2018, 10:36 AM   #35

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
I installed this grab handle in our 5.0 and screwed it into the vertical framing member supporting the corner of the bathroom. We find the carpeting slippery and this has saved our dorsal posteriors quite a few times.

Zardoz just curious did you use wood screws or drill through into closet and use machine screw?
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 10:45 AM   #36

To me, this is a safety issue that is easily fixable. In my mind, the ideal solution is for ETI to reinforce the walls as needed and install railings/ handles, and install a non-slip surface rather than carpeted stairs as standard offering.

Personally, I think installed carpeting in a RV is a silly idea.
Old 10-03-2018, 10:59 AM   #37

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
Sorry to hear about your accident. Between slippery carpet, limited place to hold on to and half a bottom step, I think it is fortunate there has not been more accidents. For us, I added railings where I could and lengthened the bottom step, otherwise that last step can be a big one coming down in the night.
Old 10-03-2018, 10:59 AM   #38

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: All... Sorry this happened but I feel it's a case of operator error. We have owned our 5.0TA since 2014 and before that a 5.0 from 2008 and never had a slip or fall on the stairs. No railings either. Not sayin' it can't happen just hasn't to us!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Absolutely operator error! And I'd like to think that had I installed the non skid treads and the hand holds that this accident may have been prevented. And as Donna pointed out about the bottom cut step, Elaine slipped on the passenger side of the middle step to the floor, missing the bottom step. Might this have happened even with all the precautions taken? Yes! Will we be more careful in the future? Most definitely! Am I going to install treads and hand holds? Without a doubt!! Do we love this trailer? Yes!!!
Mark&Elaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 01:30 PM   #39

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilola View Post
To me, this is a safety issue that is easily fixable. In my mind, the ideal solution is for ETI to reinforce the walls as needed and install railings/ handles, and install a non-slip surface rather than carpeted stairs as standard offering.

Personally, I think installed carpeting in a RV is a silly idea.
You are right on and Escape should realize a lot of customers are seniors . Even the outside step and outside handle needs a little help . We have remedied the outside step and handle but many don't know how to . Fixing the step and putting a hand hold on the 5TA would be easy for me , it isn't for others . Would be nice for Escape to just include these items in their builds . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 01:31 PM   #40

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
Sorry to hear about your accident. Between slippery carpet, limited place to hold on to and half a bottom step, I think it is fortunate there has not been more accidents. For us, I added railings where I could and lengthened the bottom step, otherwise that last step can be a big one coming down in the night.
And excellent execution of needed modifications Chris . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2018 5.0 ta, stairs