Stairway Handle or Railing in 5.0TA - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-13-2018, 02:06 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: ELK RIVER, Minnesota
Trailer: 2007 Jayco 2750 fifth wheel
Posts: 20
Stairway Handle or Railing in 5.0TA

We just finalized our build sheet for the 5.0TA for delivery November 1.
There is one outstanding item...a handle or rail to assist in going down the stairs
to the main level. When we saw another 5.0TA, I did not feel totally secure heading down, even though going up seemed ok. ETI has offered to install an exterior handle on the wall outside the wet bath at orientation so the proper height can be determined. I can't figure out if that would be helpful. Alternatively they would reinforce the wall for a handle. I can't be the only person who has this issue.
What have you done in your fifth wheel? I need to decide fairly quickly.
Thanks.
__________________

poodlespal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 03:20 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Patandlinda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Posts: 5,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by poodlespal View Post
We just finalized our build sheet for the 5.0TA for delivery November 1.
There is one outstanding item...a handle or rail to assist in going down the stairs
to the main level. When we saw another 5.0TA, I did not feel totally secure heading down, even though going up seemed ok. ETI has offered to install an exterior handle on the wall outside the wet bath at orientation so the proper height can be determined. I can't figure out if that would be helpful. Alternatively they would reinforce the wall for a handle. I can't be the only person who has this issue.
What have you done in your fifth wheel? I need to decide fairly quickly.
Thanks.
Hi The first thing I would do is have Escape reenforce the bath wall . That gives you many options for a substantial handle . Marine West , even a good looking handicap handle for baths . Those come in many lengths etc. I wouldn't just go with the outside grab handle not long enough and you would want the handle to be nice looking in your new trailer . We have them in our baths but in a minute will take a picture of one to get up and down our stairs to our pool . Pat
__________________

Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 03:31 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Patandlinda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Posts: 5,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Hi The first thing I would do is have Escape reenforce the bath wall . That gives you many options for a substantial handle . Marine West , even a good looking handicap handle for baths . Those come in many lengths etc. I wouldn't just go with the outside grab handle not long enough and you would want the handle to be nice looking in your new trailer . We have them in our baths but in a minute will take a picture of one to get up and down our stairs to our pool . Pat
This will give you the idea . Home Depot , Lowes etc have them in shorter lengths in Stainless . West Marine has them in teak . We installed one of those to help us descending from our camper we had before at the door frame . Most important, you want backing to hold your handle when you screw it in . Hope this helps . Pat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0439.jpg (141.3 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0440.jpg (142.0 KB, 19 views)
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 03:32 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
emers382's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Emerson, Manitoba
Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2015 F150 2.7EB
Posts: 1,231
We have a handle which the previous owners had installed I believe by Escape. Beth finds it very handy for coming down off the bed.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...V1QzZMX2FrQjZn
__________________
Adrian (and Beth)
We are all travellers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.
Robert Louis Stevenson
emers382 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 03:55 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Patandlinda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Posts: 5,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
This will give you the idea . Home Depot , Lowes etc have them in shorter lengths in Stainless . West Marine has them in teak . We installed one of those to help us descending from our camper we had before at the door frame . Most important, you want backing to hold your handle when you screw it in . Hope this helps . Pat
A few more pictures in our baths at home . The one outside is a ecomony model . The baths a little more fancy . 1 1/4 -1 1/2 in thick , stainless knurled around handle for grabbing . Pat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0441.jpg (147.8 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0442.jpg (142.9 KB, 20 views)
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 03:57 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Patandlinda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Posts: 5,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
We have a handle which the previous owners had installed I believe by Escape. Beth finds it very handy for coming down off the bed.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...V1QzZMX2FrQjZn
That is also a bath grab handle . Just showing the fellow other options you can even install as long as he gets the backing reenforement . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 04:27 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: ELK RIVER, Minnesota
Trailer: 2007 Jayco 2750 fifth wheel
Posts: 20
Thanks very much for answering so quickly and including several nice photos.
poodlespal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 04:28 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: ELK RIVER, Minnesota
Trailer: 2007 Jayco 2750 fifth wheel
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
We have a handle which the previous owners had installed I believe by Escape. Beth finds it very handy for coming down off the bed.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...V1QzZMX2FrQjZn
Thanks so much for the response and photo of the handle that Linda uses. I think that placement looks very helpful for me.
poodlespal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 07:20 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Zardoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Marana, Arizona
Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
Posts: 1,084
I installed this grab handle in our 5.0 and screwed it into the vertical framing member supporting the corner of the bathroom. We find the carpeting slippery and this has saved our dorsal posteriors quite a few times.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1D1FECEC-3BDD-4422-9745-BC3FEB8097F3.jpg (345.0 KB, 31 views)
__________________
Rich & Mary
"Everything in moderation, including moderation."
- Oscar Wilde
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 08:28 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: ELK RIVER, Minnesota
Trailer: 2007 Jayco 2750 fifth wheel
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
I installed this grab handle in our 5.0 and screwed it into the vertical framing member supporting the corner of the bathroom. We find the carpeting slippery and this has saved our dorsal posteriors quite a few times.
Zardoz
Its a bit hard for me to figure out where it is from the photo,partly because its sideways and partly because I don't conceptualize well. Any chance you have a photo looking up the stairway? Or would it not show up unless you were looking from the bed. I assume that you did not have to pay for reinforcing the wall. Thanks for the reply and sorry to be a dufus.
poodlespal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 09:09 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
SpokanEscape's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Olympia, Washington
Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA has gone to a good home in Manitoba. Now Class B+ owners sadly not an Escape
Posts: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
We have a handle which the previous owners had installed I believe by Escape. Beth finds it very handy for coming down off the bed.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...V1QzZMX2FrQjZn
Yes we bought it at West Marine and installed at orientation! A lifesaver when heading downstairs at night!
__________________
Jan and Paul
"Le Bon Oeuf"
SpokanEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 09:33 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Zardoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Marana, Arizona
Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
Posts: 1,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by poodlespal View Post
Zardoz
Its a bit hard for me to figure out where it is from the photo,partly because its sideways and partly because I don't conceptualize well. Any chance you have a photo looking up the stairway? Or would it not show up unless you were looking from the bed. I assume that you did not have to pay for reinforcing the wall. Thanks for the reply and sorry to be a dufus.
The photo is indeed “laying on its side.” Sorry, but I dont know how to turn it 90 degrees to the right to make it upright. And no, I did not have to reinforce the wall.
__________________
Rich & Mary
"Everything in moderation, including moderation."
- Oscar Wilde
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 10:13 PM   #13
Site Team
 
rbryan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Canyon Lake, Texas
Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2018 F150 2.7L Ecoboost
Posts: 9,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
The photo is indeed “laying on its side.” Sorry, but I dont know how to turn it 90 degrees to the right to make it upright. And no, I did not have to reinforce the wall.
Fixed it Rich.
__________________
"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy an RV. And that is pretty close."
rbryan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 10:16 PM   #14
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Afton, Minnesota
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (May 2015)
Posts: 49
Send a message via Skype™ to HappyCampers
We installed a similar handle in the same place, we use it occasionally, but find turning around and going down backwards is the easiest. I have towels on the stairs like little rugs for carpet preservation and easier cleaning, I put a brighter color on the middle step for better differentiation. We do not have the bathroom wall that faces the outside door reinforced, but if we had a do-over we would definitely do that.
__________________
Escape with us,
George and Jodi
HappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 10:23 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Zardoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Marana, Arizona
Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
Posts: 1,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Fixed it Rich.
Really glad you’re watching over me, Robert. Can I get you to migrate over to Airforums next week? 😉. Thank you, my friend.
__________________
Rich & Mary
"Everything in moderation, including moderation."
- Oscar Wilde
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 10:31 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Victoria, Vancouver Island, British Columbia
Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
Posts: 269
Agree, get that bath wall reinforced. I had the corner reinforced so I was able to add a custom oak railing. What is also very useful to to add a rail on either side at the top of the stairs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bath rail.jpg (75.9 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg pas rail.jpg (56.4 KB, 64 views)
__________________
Chris
https://escape440.wordpress.com
Chris R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 10:37 PM   #17
Site Team
 
rbryan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Canyon Lake, Texas
Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2018 F150 2.7L Ecoboost
Posts: 9,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
Really glad you’re watching over me, Robert. Can I get you to migrate over to Airforums next week? 😉. Thank you, my friend.
I'd be happy to Rich. All I need is for you to buy me a new Airstream. Under 25 feet mind you - it has to fit in my RV garage!
__________________
"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy an RV. And that is pretty close."
rbryan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 10:40 PM   #18
Site Team
 
rbryan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Canyon Lake, Texas
Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2018 F150 2.7L Ecoboost
Posts: 9,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
Agree, get that bath wall reinforced. I had the corner reinforced so I was able to add a custom oak railing. What is also very useful to to add a rail on either side at the top of the stairs.
So nice. I'm still in awe at your 5'er Chris.
__________________
"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy an RV. And that is pretty close."
rbryan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 10:41 PM   #19
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: ELK RIVER, Minnesota
Trailer: 2007 Jayco 2750 fifth wheel
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
The photo is indeed “laying on its side.” Sorry, but I dont know how to turn it 90 degrees to the right to make it upright. And no, I did not have to reinforce the wall.
Thanks. I can turn my phone sideways. My talents are boundless.LOL. I appreciate knowing
that you didn't have to reinforce the wall.
poodlespal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 12:10 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
Patandlinda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Posts: 5,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
Agree, get that bath wall reinforced. I had the corner reinforced so I was able to add a custom oak railing. What is also very useful to to add a rail on either side at the top of the stairs.
Chris that is way ! I was always taught to overdo so I only have to do it once . When we got home from picking up I had to redo the TV extention because it was pulling away from the wall . My way hasn't moved in over 4 years now .
Your work is the Rolls Royce of fine cabinet workers . I really admire your craftsmanship ! Pat
__________________

Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
2018 5.0 ta, stairs

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Escape Trailer Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.
×