Stairway Handle or Railing in 5.0TA - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-13-2018, 02:06 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 5.0 TA
Stairway Handle or Railing in 5.0TA

We just finalized our build sheet for the 5.0TA for delivery November 1.
There is one outstanding item...a handle or rail to assist in going down the stairs
to the main level. When we saw another 5.0TA, I did not feel totally secure heading down, even though going up seemed ok. ETI has offered to install an exterior handle on the wall outside the wet bath at orientation so the proper height can be determined. I can't figure out if that would be helpful. Alternatively they would reinforce the wall for a handle. I can't be the only person who has this issue.
What have you done in your fifth wheel? I need to decide fairly quickly.
Thanks.
poodlespal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 03:20 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by poodlespal View Post
We just finalized our build sheet for the 5.0TA for delivery November 1.
There is one outstanding item...a handle or rail to assist in going down the stairs
to the main level. When we saw another 5.0TA, I did not feel totally secure heading down, even though going up seemed ok. ETI has offered to install an exterior handle on the wall outside the wet bath at orientation so the proper height can be determined. I can't figure out if that would be helpful. Alternatively they would reinforce the wall for a handle. I can't be the only person who has this issue.
What have you done in your fifth wheel? I need to decide fairly quickly.
Thanks.
Hi The first thing I would do is have Escape reenforce the bath wall . That gives you many options for a substantial handle . Marine West , even a good looking handicap handle for baths . Those come in many lengths etc. I wouldn't just go with the outside grab handle not long enough and you would want the handle to be nice looking in your new trailer . We have them in our baths but in a minute will take a picture of one to get up and down our stairs to our pool . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 03:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Hi The first thing I would do is have Escape reenforce the bath wall . That gives you many options for a substantial handle . Marine West , even a good looking handicap handle for baths . Those come in many lengths etc. I wouldn't just go with the outside grab handle not long enough and you would want the handle to be nice looking in your new trailer . We have them in our baths but in a minute will take a picture of one to get up and down our stairs to our pool . Pat
This will give you the idea . Home Depot , Lowes etc have them in shorter lengths in Stainless . West Marine has them in teak . We installed one of those to help us descending from our camper we had before at the door frame . Most important, you want backing to hold your handle when you screw it in . Hope this helps . Pat
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0439.jpg   IMG_0440.jpg  
Old 08-13-2018, 03:32 PM   #4

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
We have a handle which the previous owners had installed I believe by Escape. Beth finds it very handy for coming down off the bed.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...V1QzZMX2FrQjZn
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 03:55 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
This will give you the idea . Home Depot , Lowes etc have them in shorter lengths in Stainless . West Marine has them in teak . We installed one of those to help us descending from our camper we had before at the door frame . Most important, you want backing to hold your handle when you screw it in . Hope this helps . Pat
A few more pictures in our baths at home . The one outside is a ecomony model . The baths a little more fancy . 1 1/4 -1 1/2 in thick , stainless knurled around handle for grabbing . Pat
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0441.jpg   IMG_0442.jpg  
Old 08-13-2018, 03:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
We have a handle which the previous owners had installed I believe by Escape. Beth finds it very handy for coming down off the bed.

That is also a bath grab handle . Just showing the fellow other options you can even install as long as he gets the backing reenforement . Pat
Old 08-13-2018, 04:27 PM   #7

Thanks very much for answering so quickly and including several nice photos.
Old 08-13-2018, 04:28 PM   #8

Quote:

Thanks so much for the response and photo of the handle that Linda uses. I think that placement looks very helpful for me.
Old 08-13-2018, 07:20 PM   #9

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
I installed this grab handle in our 5.0 and screwed it into the vertical framing member supporting the corner of the bathroom. We find the carpeting slippery and this has saved our dorsal posteriors quite a few times.
Attached Thumbnails
1D1FECEC-3BDD-4422-9745-BC3FEB8097F3.jpg  
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 08:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
I installed this grab handle in our 5.0 and screwed it into the vertical framing member supporting the corner of the bathroom. We find the carpeting slippery and this has saved our dorsal posteriors quite a few times.
Zardoz
Its a bit hard for me to figure out where it is from the photo,partly because its sideways and partly because I don't conceptualize well. Any chance you have a photo looking up the stairway? Or would it not show up unless you were looking from the bed. I assume that you did not have to pay for reinforcing the wall. Thanks for the reply and sorry to be a dufus.
Old 08-13-2018, 09:09 PM   #11

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA has gone to a good home in Manitoba. Now Class B+ owners sadly not an Escape
Quote:

Yes we bought it at West Marine and installed at orientation! A lifesaver when heading downstairs at night!
Old 08-13-2018, 09:33 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by poodlespal View Post
Zardoz
Its a bit hard for me to figure out where it is from the photo,partly because its sideways and partly because I don't conceptualize well. Any chance you have a photo looking up the stairway? Or would it not show up unless you were looking from the bed. I assume that you did not have to pay for reinforcing the wall. Thanks for the reply and sorry to be a dufus.
The photo is indeed “laying on its side.” Sorry, but I dont know how to turn it 90 degrees to the right to make it upright. And no, I did not have to reinforce the wall.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:13 PM   #13
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
The photo is indeed “laying on its side.” Sorry, but I dont know how to turn it 90 degrees to the right to make it upright. And no, I did not have to reinforce the wall.
Fixed it Rich.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:16 PM   #14

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (May 2015)
Send a message via Skype™ to HappyCampers
We installed a similar handle in the same place, we use it occasionally, but find turning around and going down backwards is the easiest. I have towels on the stairs like little rugs for carpet preservation and easier cleaning, I put a brighter color on the middle step for better differentiation. We do not have the bathroom wall that faces the outside door reinforced, but if we had a do-over we would definitely do that.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:23 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Fixed it Rich.
Really glad you’re watching over me, Robert. Can I get you to migrate over to Airforums next week? 😉. Thank you, my friend.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:31 PM   #16

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
Agree, get that bath wall reinforced. I had the corner reinforced so I was able to add a custom oak railing. What is also very useful to to add a rail on either side at the top of the stairs.
Attached Thumbnails
bath rail.jpg   pas rail.jpg  
Old 08-13-2018, 10:37 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Really glad you’re watching over me, Robert. Can I get you to migrate over to Airforums next week? 😉. Thank you, my friend.
I'd be happy to Rich. All I need is for you to buy me a new Airstream. Under 25 feet mind you - it has to fit in my RV garage!
Old 08-13-2018, 10:40 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
Agree, get that bath wall reinforced. I had the corner reinforced so I was able to add a custom oak railing. What is also very useful to to add a rail on either side at the top of the stairs.
So nice. I'm still in awe at your 5'er Chris.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:41 PM   #19

Quote:
Thanks. I can turn my phone sideways. My talents are boundless.LOL. I appreciate knowing
that you didn't have to reinforce the wall.
Old 08-14-2018, 12:10 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
Chris that is way ! I was always taught to overdo so I only have to do it once . When we got home from picking up I had to redo the TV extention because it was pulling away from the wall . My way hasn't moved in over 4 years now .
Your work is the Rolls Royce of fine cabinet workers . I really admire your craftsmanship ! Pat

Tags
2018 5.0 ta, stairs