Stereo options? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 05-30-2009, 08:26 PM   #1

Stereo options?

Escape offers an installed stereo for $300. I would like a hard-wired stereo with good sound. What model of stereo does Escape offer? Who has one? Do you like it? Where are the speakers positioned? What could be improved? Anybody installed a different one?

I would be grateful of pictures to illustrate.

2009 17' Plan B
ronstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 08:58 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Re: Stereo options?

My buddy Keath is pondering the same issue as you.

As I understand it the Escape stereo also plays DVDs as well as CDs, but you'd need a TV. It also has an AUX jack so you can plug in your iPod, however it is installed, ie. fixed in the trailer. After our last camp Keath is realizing that we spend a lot of time outside and maybe he'd like his stereo outside. Keath would carry DVDs of movies with him. Me, I don't watch movies much, even at home, so I'm not likely to watch them at camp.

So, My Toad is out in Chilliwack having DC outlets installed. One at the front, inside, to power my Sirius satellite radio dock with speakers. I'll have another outlet outside near the wheel and another inside at the back to power a TV, if I ever bother to install it. I've got the wall mount for it, but no antennae ( I'm carrying a long coax if we really need to watch TV ).

And, it only occurred to me now, but if and when the installed unit breaks down, you have to find another unit to fit the hole.

I spent this afternoon out in the garden with my Sirius radio and dock for company, and my iPod and Altec Lansing dock when I wanted to listen to some music I'd just downloaded. I have a Sirius dock in the vehicle, which has an AUX port for the iPod and the sat radio comes with headphones with a built in antennae, so I could sit in the middle of the lake with a choice of 150 channels or so if I chose.

If you get where I'm going, I have portability and many options.

baglo

Old 05-31-2009, 12:29 AM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to Edgar

http://www.jensenrvdirect.com/index...._details&id=18

Hear you go. Reace is planning to run extra wires for me from the stereo into the basement under the bed. In the future I should be able to hook up outside speakers routed through the ouside storage hatch.

Edgar
Edgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 09:09 AM   #4

Thanks for the input, guys. I am going to read some reviews of the Jensen product.

I am a messy guy, and the more parts that are nailed down, the better. Edgar's idea of accomodating external speakers has merit.

Baglo, that TV antenna will be useless in the US in two weeks, but it will be two years before Canada bans analog over-the-air broadcasts. Apparently, the digital signals have a shorter range, too. There will be no TV in our RV.

2009 17' Plan B
ronstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 08:29 PM   #5

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape

We have the Jensen stereo installed above our wardrobe closet. It is a great location for us.

When we were out in Langley I had my Ipod with us and it sounded so good. No need to bring tons of Cd's....

Old 05-31-2009, 11:03 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: All... Just got back from 2 days in Frankenmuth Michigan. Too windy for campfires so we watched TV. I got 4 different digi. broadcasts( it's the TV. tuner not the antenna) on channel 19, and several analog stations on other channels as well. ABC was the clearest... for being in the middle of nowhere. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 06:54 AM   #7

Just got this photo from Tammy. This may be our 19' close to completion. We didn't want to block window light and Reace was able to get the stereo mounted in the corner.

Edgar

Heading to Chilliwack next week. Woo-Hoo!
Attached Thumbnails
stereo option mounted.JPG  
Old 06-18-2009, 08:44 AM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

We had ours mounted in the corner like Edgar too, but at the foot of the bed though, so it would be closer to where we will eventually mount a TV, on the bedside of the gable by the kitchen area. This stereo puts out good sound for in a trailer this size.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 11:45 AM   #9

Hi: Edgar... Now that's accommodation Alf
Old 06-18-2009, 03:54 PM   #10

Trailer: 2006 Escape 5.0

Heh Edgar, Yahoooooo is right! Seems like a long time since April, but it's your turn now. So glad for you. You will LOVE IT!
What's that white thing between the two cabinet doors?
Dan
Hokie Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 04:11 PM   #11

Dan, pretty sure that would be the CO2 sensor/alarm, the propane sensor is usually mounted near the floor. I have actually never looked on mine yet to see which is which for sure.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 06-18-2009, 09:15 PM   #12

We don't have one, so I was wondering. Have the gas alarm, yes, at the floor, but not a CO2. Not a bad idea actually. Must be something they've added new since MARCH! Always getting better.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:48 PM   #13

Turns out the stereo photo was in an Escape 19 ahead of mine. It sure is pretty. Photos of my trailer have the same white device between the rear cabinet doors. It looks expensive. Maybe my wife requested the high velocity fan option in case the old man eats too much ice cream and potato chips before bed time.

Edgar
Old 06-18-2009, 10:28 PM   #14

Trailer: '09 Escape 19 "Grasshopper"

I have a question about the stereo player. Since it is actually a combo stereo/cd/dvd player, how does it hook up to the tv? Specifically, are a/v cables installed through the cabinets to where the tv is typically mounted? Or do you have to hook up the cables each time you want to watch a movie?

I really like the location in the corner that's out of the way of the windows & think that's what I'll request for our 19. However, I want to make sure that it doesn't pose a problem for playing a dvd via a mounted tv. Note: DVDs will be for those rare times when we're not dry camping somewhere beautiful but rather when we're parked somewhere like my in-laws driveway

Brad

'09 Escape 19 "Grasshopper"
'14 MB GL350 BlueTEC; '99 Toyota 4Runner V6 4WD
Texscapees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 10:48 PM   #15

The cables are run through the cabinets to a plate mounted into the cabinets. I have not used DVD player yet, I just used my laptop on our last trip to watch a couple movies.

What? You gotta be inside visiting and having tea with the MIL. If I must suffer this, so should you.

Old 06-19-2009, 04:35 AM   #16

Boy, am I lucky! My MIL wants to be out in the woods with us : - )
Old 06-19-2009, 07:38 AM   #17

Escape Industries may not offer the TV option any longer. Too much choice and variety.

We bought the JE1909RTL 19 in. Flat Panel LCD RV Television from Jensen. (http://www.jensenrvdirect.com/index....t_details&id=4) It's 12 volt operation and will work on those rainy days when dry camping. I expect to have video cable connectors wired from the stereo, along with TV coax from the external connector. The 12V power may be hard wired or may be a plug. Either way will work.

The stereo has an output (pre-amp) to connect a powered sub-woofer. Reace is running L&R channel speaker and sub-woofer cable into the 'basement' so we can hook up outside speakers through the storage hatch.

My wife and I are still discussing whether the stereo will ever see a Josh Groban CD...

Edgar

Old 06-19-2009, 08:37 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieEscape
Boy, am I lucky! My MIL wants to be out in the woods with us : - )
Hi: HokieEscape... Dan, does that mean "Curtains" for you Alf