Storage box on tongue - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 11-18-2009, 06:38 PM   #1
ashleymeadow

Storage box on tongue

I have my 17B ordered, and when visiting Chilliwack, Reace showed me a an Owens diamond plate box tht can fit on the tongue. It was what is called a side box for pickup trucks. I am getting just one propane tank so that I can fit something there, but I don't like the L-shaped box. It is quite narrow at the bottom (8in.), so getting lawn chairs in there is not going to be easy. It is wide at the top (12in.), but that serves no useful purpose. I have looked at other truck boxes, but none work too well because they are too deep; I have only 13 inches between the coach and the propane tank. I want it as wide as I can get to act as a stone shield. I would also like to store firewood, so a 4 or 5 footer would be great. Every place I look seemed to have just the wider truck boxes. I am hoping that some of you will know of a source of aluminum diamond plate boxes that are long and narrow.

Thanks, Jerry
Old 11-18-2009, 06:51 PM   #2

Re: Storage box on tongue

I am having something similar done with my parents 19’, we are using a slimline better built box, 13 inches deep, 17 tall and 69 wide.
Attached Thumbnails
slimline.jpg  
GoCougsKev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 07:05 PM   #3

Forgot to mention that Reace is going to install the batties inside the box also...still plenty of room for other stuff...
Old 11-19-2009, 12:30 AM   #4
ashleymeadow

Thanks for the tip. I went to the BETTER BUILT web site and I can't find this Slimline. Got a model number, and where did you get it?

Thanks,
Jerry
Old 11-19-2009, 01:21 AM   #5
tao

Maybe the Owens Top Sider will work for you, it is
72 x 12.25 x 16 p/n 46001.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:12 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleymeadow
Thanks for the tip. I went to the BETTER BUILT web site and I can't find this Slimline. Got a model number, and where did you get it?

Thanks,
Jerry
This better built box is manufactured for Cabela's and sold only by Cabela. It is on Cabela's website. I will probably purchace a sheet of diamond plate and sculpt / weld the diamond plate to the box to make it look more custom to the trailer and to enhance the rock gaurd protection after it is installed on the trailer...

[/url]http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...equestid=65849[/url]
Old 11-19-2009, 12:23 PM   #7
ashleymeadow

It looks like the Cabela model is the best solution. My concern is the hinged top clearing the coach body. It is 13 in. wide and I think that I will have only 13.5 in. clearance. Opening may used up to 2 more inches.
Old 11-19-2009, 05:20 PM   #8

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

I gather welding aluminum requires special skills / equipment. I've got a box. I just have to figure out how and where to attach it.

baglo
Old 11-19-2009, 07:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleymeadow
It looks like the Cabela model is the best solution. My concern is the hinged top clearing the coach body. It is 13 in. wide and I think that I will have only 13.5 in. clearance. Opening may used up to 2 more inches.
I think you will be fine. Reace and I placed the box on a 17' and 19' tongue, and there was enough clearance between the two propane tanks and trailer shell...no issues on the lid opening. I am not sure if my parents 19' frame has been built yet, but Reace will be adding some mounts on the frame to mount the box. If you want to add this box onto your trailer, I am sure Reace will be able to tell you how the install went and how it will work on your 17'.

For those wondering about the two propane bottles, Reace is now going to mount the two bottles perpendicular onto the front of the tongue, not inline. Reace is also going to be installing the batteries on the tongue vs. under the front bench seat for the 19', or in our case the plan is to install the batteries in the storage box. From my understanding, Reace is going to mount the box about 6" above the frame for clearance in case my parents decide to install a weight distribution hitch. This storage box is big enough to store blocks, hoses, hand cleaners, a awning mat, tools and so forth (along with the two 6V batteries).