Storage box on tongue - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 12-10-2009, 11:18 PM   #1
ashleymeadow

Storage box on tongue

We picked up our 17B two days ago. It was a very cold, but sunny day. We were impressed with the attention to detail that Reace and their crew showed in getting us familiarized with the trailer, and the attaching and adjusting of our weight distribution hitch. The drive home (130 miles) back to Whidbey Island, Washington was very easy.

I promised that I would show the Cabala's truck box that we had Reace install. Reace had welded at frame for it to sit on the tongue just behind the propane tank. You will notice in the picture that Reace mounted the gas regulator on the box. The box is big! It measures 13 inches wide and 17 inches high. I think that it is 70 inches wide. It will be able to store a lot of bulky goods. The box is very light. We guessed at less than 20 pounds. Esthetically, it is not as pretty as a square box or the boxes that are made for trailer tongues, but it it works because of the propane tank allows just enough room to squeeze the box in place. Reace was a little concerned with the danger of hitting the tail lights of the tow vehicle in hard turns. When we stopped to eat, and turned the car tightly in the open parking lot in an increasingly tighter circle to see how much clearance we had. It did not present a problem because the bars of the hitch only allowed a moderate turn, so it is not going to be a problem.

The trailer has been winterized with antifreeze by Reace, so at 17 degrees (f), we will not be going out for a while. This will give me time to finish the outfitting of all the many things we plan to do Serendipity. But, I am sure that we ware going to be very pleased with the box.

Incidentally, the box is made by Better Built for Cabala's, and I could find no other box that was 13 inches deep. All the others are at least 20 inches.

Attached Thumbnails
Cabela box 2.jpg  
Old 12-10-2009, 11:23 PM   #2
ashleymeadow

Re: Storage box on tongue

Here is another view.
Attached Thumbnails
Cabella box 1.jpg  
Old 12-10-2009, 11:35 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

I've got an aluminum box of decent size that I've thought about using for the trailer. But, then I start thinking about what I would put in it. The items that cause me aggravation won't fit - the BBQ, the portable table, the chairs and cushions. All the items that would fit are already stowed and I have room for more if need be.

I'd like to see how you make your box do what you need it to do. Then I can decide what to do with mine.

baglo
Old 12-11-2009, 12:18 AM   #4

Looks good. My father and I are driving up tommorow to see the progress on my parents trailer. Not sure if Reece has mounted the box yet. We plan on putting tools, leveling blocks, hand cleaners, awning mat, toilet sanitizers and so forth in the box... thanks for the pictures...
GoCougsKev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 05:13 AM   #5

I think the box looks very good and functional. Is the frame that Rease welds on the tongue the same size as the Cabela box or is is smaller? We may have to add the box at a later dated but I would like to have the box frame welded on as part of the manufacturing process.
Bob120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 03:42 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi:Serendipity... That box looks the best I've seen so far. Is the battery(ies) located in the box or on the back bumper Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 04:40 PM   #7

Trailer: 2006 Escape 5.0

Yes, like you said, if it were "squared" it would act as a rock guard too, but it wouldn't be worth the "custom" cost. Looks good!
Hokie Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 04:42 PM   #8
ashleymeadow

Escape artist: I wanted the battery inside. A little expensive, but it is under the the seat in the rear. We did not want to have the larger dinette, so we had Tammy order a full mattress. I'll have to lift that up to service the battery, but that is not often.

Jerry
Old 12-11-2009, 04:46 PM   #9
ashleymeadow

Bob: The frame is welded to the tongue, which is the front and rear width of the tongue. The box is then bolted to the frame is eight places. At the back of the frame, it must be about 4 feet wide, so there is some overhang of the box, but it appears to be very solid.

Jerry
Old 12-25-2009, 01:15 PM   #10
tao

If a person were looking for a more rectangular shape without the weird cutouts, Northern Tool has a flush mount box that comes in 3 lengths and is 12.5" W X 10.5" H. Lengths are 70, 60 or 48 inches, ref. item numbers 349307, 349306, 349305
Old 01-02-2010, 04:40 PM   #11

Here is my custom tongue box.....

Ace
Attached Images

Ace Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 09:44 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

That looks good Ace, Pretty much exactly what I was thinking of doing, except a bit taller and not so far forward.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 02:15 PM   #13

Ace, I like your design but I have no metal working skills.
Could this Delta box from TSC Stores be another option or would the 18" depth of the 48" box leave too little room for the propane tanks? http://www.tscstores.com/stage/mainh...p#loadFG_18573
Bob120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 03:25 PM   #14

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: Bob120... I just saw one of those tongue boxes at TSC this afternoon. They look very interesting for a straight trailer. Reace could probably be coaxed to outfit one with a propane vent I'm sure, and maybe a couple of smaller tanks. Great minds think alike Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 06:26 PM   #15

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

Bob, that looks like a pretty good size. I was going to check with the welding shop I use to see what a custom one would cost. I doubt it would be any better then that.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 01:49 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob120
Ace, I like your design but I have no metal working skills.
Could this Delta box from TSC Stores be another option or would the 18" depth of the 48" box leave too little room for the propane tanks? http://www.tscstores.com/stage/mainh...p#loadFG_18573
The box was self built of plywood and cost me only a qt of paint and several hours of trial end error to fit it just right. The lid was fabbed by a sheet metal shop and cost about $100. Also some cost for hinges, hasps, etc with total cost about $200.

I tried a few sources of ready made boxes like TSC and Northern tool who both offer triangular tongue boxes but none fit like I wanted. Also I had Reace instal a mesh floor in the tonge area so did not need a box with a floor. The other problem was the fairly steep slope on the lower front of the trailer

Mine is tapered down in front to clear the jack crank and raised in the back to cover the propane bottle. Also more streamlined that way.

Truck tool boxes mounted across the tongue look like an accident waiting to happen. The initial poster stated he did not have a problem while circling forward, but the limiting factor there is turning radius. It is while backing that accidents happen. If the trailer jacknives it will hit!

Ace

Ace Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 03:12 PM   #17

I have in hand an aluminum checker-plate box measuring 36 1/2" wide X 17 1/4" deep X 11" high. I've been contemplating mounting it, using the hitch receiver at the rear. I've had a look at the cargo carriers at etrailer.com , but I'm not that keen on any of them or the price. Basically, I want to bolt the box to something that fits the 2" receiver.
Open to ideas.

baglo
Old 01-09-2010, 08:29 PM   #18

Trailer: 2006 Escape 5.0

Maybe something like this??
http://www.tractorsupply.com/trailer...60-in--0189155
Hokie Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 10:01 PM   #19

Sort of, as in I'd rather not have the weight of the platform. I'd like something much smaller that I could bolt the box to. Although, I don't know how much stress the aluminum can take.
baglo
Old 01-21-2010, 08:06 PM   #20

Searching etrailer, I came upon this tongue box http://www.etrailer.com/p-TBP1420-355.html which may or may not suit some.

I've gone with a 20 x 45 cargo carrier for the 2" receiver at the rear of the Toad. Only cost $69.99, plus $71 shipping and I expect I'll get hit with a fee for clearing customs since it's being shipped by UPS and it seems to be a habit of theirs to nail you. It's powder coated steel and weighs 27 lbs. Size is just right for dropping the aluminum checker-plate box on top ( it's 17 1/4" X 36 1/2" ).

baglo