Storage box -- pros and cons - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-06-2013, 10:43 PM   #21

Trailer: 2008 Bigfoot 25B17.5G
My 17B doesn't have one, and that's one of the things I would definitely order in a new one though we decided due to budget not to add one to the current trailer when we were at the factory because our propane tanks are oriented front to back... I think it's main use for me would be LONG things that would otherwise have to lay on the bed or floor in the trailer, like our outdoor rug, and towing things which currently reside under the rear bed on the passenger side, because while we were at the factory we did have them put in a hatch there ($125 vs $850). I'm pretty sure my towing stuff, outdoor rugs and camp chairs would all fit and weigh in at way less than 100lbs total.
I've been wondering, what's the advantage of having the batteries up front instead of on the rear bumper? We have to watch tongue weight (350max) so I'm guessing it's actually a disadvantage for our TV to have them up front.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:56 PM   #22

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Other than Bigfoot, I know of no other manufacturer offering the storage box, and all those owners, mostly with smaller trailer, seem to do okay without.
The Bigfoot box is much bigger, and comes with a significant difference: a frame extended to match.

Although other eggs don't come with this type of box, lots of owners add them. Usually these boxes are much narrower and more closely follow the A-frame tongue shape. I assume that the Escape box is deliberately wide to shield the trailer body, and perhaps even helps aerodynamics.

Many owners of trailers of all sizes add storage boxes to the rear, which seems more problematic to me.

It has become very common for tent trailers (pop-ups) to have a proportionately very large rectangular box in front, with the frame sized to suit so that it is not on the tongue area (similar to the Bigfoot option). People seem to have a lot of stuff! I always wonder - with the tent trailers or travel trailers - why the trailer body isn't slightly longer instead (without outside access hatches, of course).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 11:02 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Ever notice how with dual axles your turns are somewhat smaller due to the scoffing of the back axle while turning sharp?
If the trailing axle is losing the battle to the leading axle, your hitch is likely a bit low so the leading axle is carrying more than its share, and thus has more traction. As long as you don't jam into the tongue (or something mounted on it), you can spin the trailer on the centre of its axle (or axle set)... although normal tugs can't turn tight enough to sustain this.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:05 PM   #24

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Did I misunderstand or doesn't the trailer have to be built or the hitch area retrofited to hold the box. I thought it wasn't just a simple "buy the box later" kind of thing.
I wanted the plastic propane tank cover to replace the vinyl one, and to do that Reace had to turn the tanks 90 degrees and replace the jack with a side handle type. That created a space behind the propane tanks for the storage box.
I don't have the box, and I didn't inquire, but it looks like there is room for one now.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:09 PM   #25

Quote:
Did I misunderstand or doesn't the trailer have to be built or the hitch area retrofited to hold the box. I thought it wasn't just a simple "buy the box later" kind of thing.
I don't know, but I don't think the tongue is any longer, and if so it would just be a matter of brackets and apparently propane tank location.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:14 PM   #26

Trailer: 2008 Bigfoot 25B17.5G
Quote:
You can just buy the box later! We could retrofit ours with it, but because they'd have to redo our propane mounting, from front to back to side to side, it would cost more for the box than if ordering a new trailer. If the propane were already correct, I believe the box would cost the same as it would on a new build.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:18 PM   #27

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Here's pix of my 17B with the propane tanks moved 90 degrees, and of the rear storage box, that I will probably have to move to get the spare tire off the mount if I get a flat.
Attached Thumbnails
Tongue room.jpg   Storage box.jpg  
Old 08-06-2013, 11:56 PM   #28

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
I did just add the box later to my '09 19 (actually, I had it done at the factory last June). Costs $850 to retrofit, took about 6 hrs. I love the thing. All the set-up/tear-down stuff is VERY handy and easy to get to.

Bruce
Bruce Wray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 12:27 AM   #29

Mine is full. It keeps me outside and her inside. We are a happier couple for it. So much faster and less finicky to get my hoses etc etc. Dirty out in the box. Clean in the trailer.
Dog as Navigator
DonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 01:05 AM   #30

Trailer: 2012 15A
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillary View Post
I've been wondering, what's the advantage of having the batteries up front instead of on the rear bumper? We have to watch tongue weight (350max) so I'm guessing it's actually a disadvantage for our TV to have them up front.
Not sure if there is an advantage of having the batteries up front but the box would have much better storage space if they were not in there, in my opinion. We have dual 6 volt which takes up a fair bit of space, right in the middle of the box. The down side of more space is people like me tend to fill up that space with too much stuff!

Storage of the outside mat is a great use for the box especially if it is wet when you have to de-camp. Our mat does fit into the box even with the dual 6 volt.

Tongue weight is critical, too little more so than too much. Trailers are like life, you need the right balance!
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 06:16 AM   #31

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Our 19 does not have the storage box and we haven't felt the need for it. Like Jim says, we have plenty of storage between the tow and the trailer.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:27 AM   #32

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
I hadn't thought about the balancing. Are there any negatives to putting the 6V batteries into the dinette storage?
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:14 AM   #33

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthe View Post
I hadn't thought about the balancing. Are there any negatives to putting the 6V batteries into the dinette storage?
Batteries are in a sealed plastic box in the front dinette (passenger side) and are vented to the outside, so are installed with consideration to safety. Biggest disadvantage of the batteries inside the dinette is that front storage space is reduced for things like blankets and pillows that would normally be used when the dinette and/or front bunks are set up for sleeping.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:03 AM   #34

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Having no storage box, that is where mine are. As mentioned before, even if or when I do get a storage box, I will be real glad to have them under the dinette. I find accessing under the dinette seats the most difficult storage place to get too any way, whereas the storage box space would be more valuable for storing other stuff. I do keep my outside stove beside the batteries in the dinette seat, and shoes in the access door at the end. The other side of the dinette stores my BBQ and hoses, vacuum and lesser used trailer stuff (like a piece of coax cable, used once in 4+ years)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:42 AM   #35

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
I agrtee Jim, our 6volts are in the storage box and I plan to re-locate them to the awning side dinnete seat area, this area is very difficult to access as we have the dinnete as a bed all the time, even with the door on the end it is difficult to get to anything that is not right at the door area. The extra room in the exterior storage box will be pleasant as well,
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 12:28 PM   #36

Trailer: 2013 15B
We did not include the optional storage box on our new 15B. Instead, we purchased two storage containers that fit well in the back of our Jeep Liberty and include the "outdoor" items that people have mentioned. We're trying hard NOT to add more and more items and have a need for a rear storage shelf or storage on the top of the TV. So far we've been successful.
JimJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:29 PM   #37

Quote:
From a balance point of view, putting massive objects closer to the middle of the trailer is better for stability. If you end up with the same tongue weight and the batteries are not on the tongue or bumper anymore, the trailer is probably more stable.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:51 AM   #38

In thinking about the storage box and the front dinette I'm trying to understand which parts of the trailer have access from the outside. Do all the trailers have access to the front dinette on the passenger side or is this the option "cabinet door at end of bench?" And are there any other places which can be accessed from outside?
Old 08-08-2013, 07:12 AM   #39

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
There is no access to dinette storage from the outside, the dinette cabinet door option is a door which you can reach in thru your open trailer door and access under the dinette without having to disturb the cushions.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:14 AM   #40

Is it a big deal to move the cushions?