Storage box -- pros and cons - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 02-22-2014, 07:43 AM   #81
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I haven't read the previous posts, so perhaps someone has already mentioned this. But, isn't there a charge of several hundred dollars to change the tongue area AFTER the build to add the tongue box? Seems like the propane tanks are moved forward and turned horizontaly? A platform has to be welded to the tongue along with the tabs for the box. Maybe...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 07:50 AM   #82

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
You can probably have these changes performed by ETI before hand in anticipation of adding the box later, but unsure of the costs.
Old 02-22-2014, 07:51 AM   #83

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
There is an upcharge to retrofit. I would bet the frame could be made storage box ready from the start though, with the thought of possibly adding later.

edit: or what Jim said as I posted.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 08:47 AM   #84
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Shipping would be prohibitive for the box from ETI to Virginia at a later time ....
I can testify to this, I work for a transportation company that ships freight. Due to the size of the box, it would need to go Truck Freight which means UPS and FedEx wouldn't handle it (other than as facilitators), it would go by Common Carrier. There are two items that are the most expensive to ship... glass and fiberglass. It may end up costing more to ship the product than the product costs from the factory. Ouch, ouch, ouch.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 11:03 AM   #85

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
I had the box added to my '09 19 last summer. It cost $850 (plus Canada's whopping taxes) out the door to retrofit and install. Took about 6 hours. I am supremely happy that I did it, set-up and take-down is so much easier.

Bruce
Bruce Wray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 11:43 AM   #86

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I But, isn't there a charge of several hundred dollars to change the tongue area AFTER the build to add the tongue box? Seems like the propane tanks are moved forward and turned horizontaly? A platform has to be welded to the tongue along with the tabs for the box. Maybe...
Now I'm worried I didn't order the box because I'll fabricate one out of aluminum as I did for my Scamp. When I was at Escape I looked at the units out in the yard and measured the distance between the front wall of the trailer and the rear of the propane tank cover. Now I'm not sure if that's the same as what I'll get.

Guess I'll be asking Escape to clarify the differences, if any, between units ordered with and without the box.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 12:14 PM   #87

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I have been looking at "deck boxes" on Amazon. There is a big variety of sizes. It looks like it would be easy to find one that fits behind the propane tanks on the 19. I'd fasten it to the frame, put the battery in it and be good to go for less than $200. Does anyone see any problems with this approach as a storage box alternative? Here's a Rubbermaid box for $95.00.
Ellentob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 12:30 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellentob View Post
I have been looking at "deck boxes" on Amazon. There is a big variety of sizes. It looks like it would be easy to find one that fits behind the propane tanks on the 19. I'd fasten it to the frame, put the battery in it and be good to go for less than $200. Does anyone see any problems with this approach as a storage box alternative? Here's a Rubbermaid box for $95.00.
A deck box is a plastic storage bin designed to sit on a stationary cement slab, or maybe gravel patio. It is not designed to sit on 2 angled 2" wide metal frame rails at 55-?? mph. At the very least you will need to fabricate and attach to the frame a solid base for it.
jamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 12:34 PM   #89

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I see at least one issue, since you are located in Sun country, rubbermaid products will not last as long as fiberglass. Can you repost the link to your picture, it does not appear.
Old 02-22-2014, 12:50 PM   #90

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
The storage box was not an option when I got the "Suite Escape" in 2009. However, I did have ETI put in a hatch on each front side (as well as the passenger side rear) in order to access the under-bench storage areas from the exterior. One front hatch holds the hook-up stuff and chocks. The other holds stuff that is ordinarily not needed such as extra length of slinky. They are under the snap on bug guards, so are out of sight generally. Had the storage box been available, I probably would have purchased it. I then may have wanted interior bench doors as well. (I do have one interior one in the back on the passenger side, as I have my bed made up there.) Its something to consider for those who don't want the storage bin.
Old 02-22-2014, 12:56 PM   #91

Trailer: 2003 Scamp 16' SOLD , 2008 Airstream 19'
If you do decide to retrofit a box be sure to get welding instructions for the T1 steel used in the trailer frame. It is a tempered steel, so it has to be welded with the correct procedure. That is a high stress area of the frame and should not be compromised.
Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 01:30 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamman View Post
A deck box is a plastic storage bin designed to sit on a stationary cement slab, or maybe gravel patio. It is not designed to sit on 2 angled 2" wide metal frame rails at 55-?? mph. At the very least you will need to fabricate and attach to the frame a solid base for it.
I can see attaching the deck box to the frame with u-bolts. Maybe mount the box on a weatherproof plywood platform and then bolt it to the frame. Here's another try at the image--Amazon.com: Rubbermaid 5F21 Deck Box with Seat: Patio, Lawn & Garden
Old 02-22-2014, 05:31 PM   #93

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruscal View Post
If you do decide to retrofit a box be sure to get welding instructions for the T1 steel used in the trailer frame. It is a tempered steel, so it has to be welded with the correct procedure. That is a high stress area of the frame and should not be compromised.
Russ
Thanks for that information. I would probably make a trip to Chilliwack for any major mods.
Old 02-22-2014, 07:04 PM   #94

Trailer: 2003 Scamp 16' SOLD , 2008 Airstream 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellentob View Post
I can see attaching the deck box to the frame with u-bolts. Maybe mount the box on a weatherproof plywood platform and then bolt it to the frame. Here's another try at the image--Amazon.com: Rubbermaid 5F21 Deck Box with Seat: Patio, Lawn & Garden
U-bolts are a good solution. No welding, no drilling on the tongue. The Rubbermaid stuff does require good support or it will sag over time when in the sun. I have a couple of their sheds on my property, and learned they need full level support.
Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 07:44 PM   #95

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Appearance aside, I don't think it is built for the stresses it would undergo while traveling. It says it's crack resistant ( sitting on a patio? ).
I'd also want to ensure that the hinges and locking hasps would stand up to travel.
Just think back to all the garden furniture you've had to toss out after a couple seasons.
Old 02-22-2014, 07:58 PM   #96

Trailer: 2014 5TA/ *012 17B (previous)
The guy next door to us had one in the driveway, barely lasted through one or two wind storms - blew apart.
'Have No Regrets'
Chapitre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 09:49 PM   #97

I wonder if ETI would put a front box on the trailer bringing trailers for delivery perhaps if one wanted to order one the shipping costs would be less coming that way.

Cypher
Cypherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 10:40 PM   #98

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
For what it's worth, I grumble about the storage box (all the angles and curves and brackets and battery placement make it awkward to use) but if I ordered another trailer I'd add another box. It's awkward, but I think it's still worth the cost. YMMV, of course.

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2018 Ford F150
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 11:07 PM   #99

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
I understand that use on a vehicle and use on a deck are different, but with a suitable platform I don't see a big issue with the stresses. I've had a couple of moulded plastic storage boxes (from Canadian Tire, probably Suncast brand, one is dual-purpose bench/box) outside for several years, and neither is falling apart. Of course, that's in a place where it only hot and sunny for small part of the year, but cold is hard on plastic, too.

My experience with our trailer (a 17' moulded fiberglass model, the width of an Escape 19') is similar to Jim Bennett's: I have not found a need for any kind of external storage box, although I do carry some stuff in the van. Like Jim, we have not been on very long trips.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 10:15 AM   #100

Does anyone know the size of the space between the front of the 19 and the propane tanks? I'd like to see if there's a box on the market that might fit and not look too ugly. Another storage box option would be fastening a store bought box to the bike rack using one of those platform thingies. Either way gets you extra storage without the $700 charge.

Harris