Storage box -- pros and cons - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-23-2014, 10:58 AM   #101

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellentob View Post
Another storage box option would be fastening a store bought box to the bike rack using one of those platform thingies.
That's a common solution, but those racks are not light, and they tend to hold the box unnecessarily far rearward (exaggerating the bad effects of the mass hanging on the back of the trailer). They also twist much more than a trailer would (and trailers are the purpose of trailer hitches). Since the Escape trailer frame is reasonably accessible at the back, and the frame rails are not much further apart than the cargo boxes which many use, I would rather make brackets to support the box platform attached to each frame rail; it would be lighter, stronger, and more stable.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 11:00 AM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypherian View Post
I wonder if ETI would put a front box on the trailer bringing trailers for delivery perhaps if one wanted to order one the shipping costs would be less coming that way.

Cypher
I think this is a great idea, and very efficient. One challenge, though: on an open trailer, the box might be difficult to secure without damaging it. Maybe bolting it down (the way it will later be bolted to the frame) to a couple of pieces of lumber , then strapping down the lumber, would work.
Old 02-23-2014, 11:05 AM   #103

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellentob View Post
Does anyone know the size of the space between the front of the 19 and the propane tanks? I'd like to see if there's a box on the market that might fit and not look too ugly.
Harris
On my last trip out to Escape, easy for me, only about an hour away, that was one of the things that I wanted to find out. I already have an aluminum box that I fabricated so I wanted to see if it would fit or if I'd have to modify it.

The answer is not straight forward because the front wall of the trailer isn't vertical and the rear face of the propane tank cover isn't vertical or straight. So it depends at what height you measure. It's slightly larger near the frame and diminishes toward the top of the tanks.

My box is 16 1/2" and if I'm really lucky it might just fit.
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 12:39 PM   #104

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post

My box is 16 1/2" and if I'm really lucky it might just fit.
Does this mean the distance from the top of the tank cover to the trailer is 16.5 inches? I need to know the narrowest dimension.

Harris
Ellentob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 01:18 PM   #105

[QUOTE=E I need to know the narrowest dimension.

Harris[/QUOTE]

Yes, that's the narrowest dimension. That's at a point a little lower than the top of the tank cover.

Because of some other comments I'm phoning Escape tomorrow to clarify the situation for units ordered without a storage box. I'll be asking if the tanks are mounted in the same location, box or no box, if the single battery is frame mounted between the tanks and the trailer and if the two side-to-side angle brackets are on units ordered without the storage box.

I'll post the answers.

Ron
Old 02-23-2014, 02:45 PM   #106

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
I have no idea if they'd do this, or how much it would cost if they did, but why not ask if they'll make your frame a little longer to accomodate your box comfortably? Asking is free...

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2018 Ford F150
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 07:33 PM   #107

Trailer: 2001 Bigfoot 21RB/ 73Boler/Trillium 5500
One thing if you care, the storage box protects the front of the trailer from rock chips. The box has rhino lining applied on the front. You can find other boxes but they are not wide enough to cover the front.
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 08:18 PM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbailey View Post
I have no idea if they'd do this, or how much it would cost if they did, but why not ask if they'll make your frame a little longer to accomodate your box comfortably? Asking is free...
It is not an unreasonable suggestion, and in fact Bigfoot does this on their trailers, making the frame two feet longer to accommodate a huge box. I would rather have two feet more trailer body...

I wouldn't hold out a lot of hope for this from Escape. Since the A-frame tongue angle must remain 50 degrees to work with the coupler, the extension would be in the straight part of the main frame rails, and an additional crossmember may be required (one in the normal front-most location, and another at the new point where the tongue meets the main frame members). Depending on the fabrication method used (fixtures?), this could be a real pain to accommodate, and I'm not sure if it would cause any issues with the front part of the bottom of the body. Every wire and hose from the tongue to the rest of the trailer would need to be longer.

But I agree, it costs nothing but a bit of time to ask.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:22 PM   #109

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
No way I was going to lay out seven hundred smackeroos just for a storage box. I didn't, and are still glad for my decision. So now comes this stretch of chat on the pros and cons of the subject and it has got me in a state of re-consideration. I put my wood tire blocks and stuff in the curbside rear hatch. Would be nice to store emergency tail lights, battery jumper cables, spare jacks, maybe a welcome mat, in an outside tongue box.

Even went out and took some measurements just in case the urge to build should swoop down upon me. 42 inches across, 15 inches wide, 20 inches tall, should do it.

Aaargh! Look what just swooped down onto my rear bumper!
Attached Thumbnails
Alien3.jpg  
Old 02-23-2014, 08:34 PM   #110

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21RB
I really like our front storage box and would order it again to store dirty outside stuff that I don't want in the trailer or in the vehicle.
gharper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 10:21 AM   #111

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I use a shallow clear rubbermaid bin to store my water hose, gas hoses and electrical cord, along with everything else needed for trailer setup. I pull it out, and dispense the needed parts, and back in it goes in the hatch under the bed. My bag of blocks are the only setup thing separate. Nice, tidy and compact, with all the worries of dirtiness contained (though I do wipe stuff down prior to storing anyway).
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 10:34 AM   #112

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
I am a bag lady. Al hoses, chocks, and other somewhat wet or dirty stuff goes in bags. I do wipe things off, so as not to have the bags really dirty inside. Also, wiping the shore line cord prior to re-inserting it keeps that inside area clean. ( I wish the detachable one had been available, but on the other hand , I'm less likely to lose it..)
Old 02-24-2014, 11:41 AM   #113

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Sandra, the bag lady. Has a ring to it.
Bags are actually great, in that they adjust in size to the contents, as bins can have wasted space if not completely filled.

I converted my cord to a detachable one Sandra, and am glad I did. Not too hard to do, especially if you have handyman(woman) skills, or know someone who does. I had Tammy send me out the kit needed.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 12:14 PM   #114

Trailer: 2022 Coachmen Nova 20C
I struggled with the storage box option. I’m not that keen on the looks and didn’t miss the storage with our 17B.
In the curbside hatch (to the under dinette bench storage) of our 17B I carried:
· 14 pieces of lego leveling blocks
· 2 - 4x4x12 wood blocks
· 6 x 9’ patio rug
· Fresh water hose with filter & fittings in a bag
· 2 nesting wash tubs with awning tensioners & coiled water hose & nozzle.
· Weber charcoal starter chimney
· Telescoping broom
· Assorted small items - BBQ tongs, gloves, awning stick thingy….

I was amazed how much will go in there, but in the end I ordered the box for our new 21’ and will use the under bed storage for less frequently used items.
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 01:30 PM   #115

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Speaking of storage boxes, Escape moved the propane tanks 90 degrees to accommodate the plastic tank cover.
I have been thinking about how to utilize the space, but as you can see, some of that space is occupied by weight distribution hardware.
Attached Thumbnails
Tongue room.jpg  
Old 02-24-2014, 01:36 PM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Y
Because of some other comments I'm phoning Escape tomorrow to clarify the situation for units ordered without a storage box. I'll be asking if the tanks are mounted in the same location, box or no box, i

I'll post the answers.

Ron
I just talked to Tammy and she said that the tanks are mounted the same way even if a storage box isn't ordered. It does leave the space available if a box is to be added later.

Ron
Old 02-24-2014, 02:00 PM   #117

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
See pic post 115.
Old 02-24-2014, 02:37 PM   #118

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
Storage boxes

I've had a 13' Scamp and 17' Casita without a box on the front, the 17 had a pick-up bed to help.
Now I've had a 19' and a 21' with the box and I would never go without again. Plus as Chuck said the box covers the front and you don't need to protect the trailer with something else that may cost half as much and would not have resale value. If the mats are dirty or wet, not my preference, I can still stuff them inside the box with other crummy items that I can't clean when it's raining or I'm in a hurry. Anything that goes inside the trailer has to have all of the dirt, water and bugs removed first.
I get a lot of positive comments on the looks of the box as well as the function, Rease did an outstanding job for us, even if he had to stay up late to finish the first Escape box that was put on a trailer.
Jack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 05:25 PM   #119

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Personally, I like bone white.
Attached Thumbnails
chamabone2ab.jpg  
Old 02-25-2014, 07:17 AM   #120

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
How?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post