Storage box -- pros and cons - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-06-2013, 08:25 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
Storage box -- pros and cons

I know that people seem to really like the storage box in front. I'm wondering whether there's any negatives to the box -- I was thinking that with outside access to the dinette, tools, etc. could be stored there. I'm not sure what else we would be putting in the storage box.

Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:37 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 19' 2012 Tacoma 4x4 V6 DBLCB 2011
Hey,

As a new owner and RV'er too my input might not be the best but. I have read a lot and just figured out a lot of uses for the front box is where I am putting leveling blocks, chocks, regular water hose, awning tool, hitch tool, leveler tool, my small step stool ladder to get to the roof if I have to. Basically all lite weight stuff I would want to get to easily and upon arrival and set up. Beware it has a max of 100lbs of gear.

Cypher

Cypherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:39 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Cable tv cable, extension cord, main electric cord, battery,2 packs of leveling blocks, sewer ends, propane canisters for stove, water hoses and filter, tools, awning pole, stabilizer wrench, B@L-X-chocks, tire repair tools, 12v air compressor.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:40 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Well it is an expensive option. We have a 15 and wouldn't be without it. I don't want my wet chocks, wet water hoses, and dirty support pads under the dinette. We use that space for other items. After six weeks of travel so far, we wouldn't be without it. The box was one of the deciding factors between Escape and other trailers we were looking at.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:44 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19 & 15B
On our most recent trip the exterior box held: levelling blocks, wheel chocks, homemade bal-x chocks, electrical power cord and adapter, two water hoses, wrench for stabilizers, pipe for WDH bars, hatchet, Coleman stove and fuel bottle, three canoe paddles, four life jackets, and a few other items. Really helped to clear up space under the rear bed and inside the truck. To create more space in th front box, We had the two 6V batteries placed inside the front dinette bench when our 19 was built.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:48 PM   #6

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Does anyone know how far it is from ball to box, along the tongue? What I'm wondering is if a wide tow vehicle can hit the box with the end of the bumper in a tight turn. The box overhangs well beyond the A-frame of the tongue.

I've seen the box, but is there a straight profile (from the side) view posted somewhere that would show this distance?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:51 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
You have probably read my take on them Ruth, but I shall repeat.

When I picked up my 19 just over 4 years ago, it wasn't even an option, so not getting it was a no brainer.

Seeing there is only the two of use almost all the time, we have more than enough storage between the trailer and the tow for everything we need to bring, and with room to spare.

When we take the canoe, we do start to fill up more with the PFDs and paddles. I do have a method of storing most of this stuff inside the inverted canoe I will employ in the future.

I do also have a larger than normal access hatch on the street side, accessing under the bed where we have all the stuff handy we need, like blocks and chocks, hoses, 7x12 patio mat, 2 chairs, 1 table, 2 stools (used as coffee tables mostly), a few outside games, etc. There is more room deeper which we use to store little used things like extension cord, and additional sewer and water hoses. I do plan to do a nice large drawer under the bed from the inside yet to help us better access even more storage.

Other than Bigfoot, I know of no other manufacturer offering the storage box, and all those owners, mostly with smaller trailer, seem to do okay without.

I also like the sleeker look without it, but that is just a personal thing.

And who knows, into the future after I retire, and we do multi-month extended trips, I may want the extra storage space and will get one installed, but for now I just don't need it. All it would be used for is to take more stuff I really don't want or need.

I do believe I am in the minority though, as many others figure that they couldn't do without it. But, we all have our own styles and comfort levels for camping, and so long as what you have gets you out camping, all is good no matter which way you go.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Cable tv cable, extension cord, main electric cord, battery,2 packs of leveling blocks, sewer ends, propane canisters for stove, water hoses and filter, tools, awning pole, stabilizer wrench, B@L-X-chocks, tire repair tools, 12v air compressor.
Jim (and/or others too with the 19), I keep those things, with the exception of the repair tools and air compressor (which are in the tow) accessible from the hatch. What did you keep in that access hatch?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 08-06-2013, 08:55 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape 19' 2012 Tacoma 4x4 V6 DBLCB 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Does anyone know how far it is from ball to box, along the tongue? What I'm wondering is if a wide tow vehicle can hit the box with the end of the bumper in a tight turn. The box overhangs well beyond the A-frame of the tongue.

I've seen the box, but is there a straight profile (from the side) view posted somewhere that would show this distance?
This is mine all hooked up etc . Not a full on side but close enough I think to give you an idea.

2011 Tacoma 4x4 V6 TRD Sport
Cypherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:56 PM   #10

I can definitely see how those that don't have a full 60x80 storage built in as the 19 has, being more in need of the additional storage.