Storage box -- pros and cons - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 08-06-2013, 07:25 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
Storage box -- pros and cons

I know that people seem to really like the storage box in front. I'm wondering whether there's any negatives to the box -- I was thinking that with outside access to the dinette, tools, etc. could be stored there. I'm not sure what else we would be putting in the storage box.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:37 PM   #2

Hey,

As a new owner and RV'er too my input might not be the best but. I have read a lot and just figured out a lot of uses for the front box is where I am putting leveling blocks, chocks, regular water hose, awning tool, hitch tool, leveler tool, my small step stool ladder to get to the roof if I have to. Basically all lite weight stuff I would want to get to easily and upon arrival and set up. Beware it has a max of 100lbs of gear.

Cypher
Cypherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:39 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Cable tv cable, extension cord, main electric cord, battery,2 packs of leveling blocks, sewer ends, propane canisters for stove, water hoses and filter, tools, awning pole, stabilizer wrench, B@L-X-chocks, tire repair tools, 12v air compressor.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:40 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Well it is an expensive option. We have a 15 and wouldn't be without it. I don't want my wet chocks, wet water hoses, and dirty support pads under the dinette. We use that space for other items. After six weeks of travel so far, we wouldn't be without it. The box was one of the deciding factors between Escape and other trailers we were looking at.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:44 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
On our most recent trip the exterior box held: levelling blocks, wheel chocks, homemade bal-x chocks, electrical power cord and adapter, two water hoses, wrench for stabilizers, pipe for WDH bars, hatchet, Coleman stove and fuel bottle, three canoe paddles, four life jackets, and a few other items. Really helped to clear up space under the rear bed and inside the truck. To create more space in th front box, We had the two 6V batteries placed inside the front dinette bench when our 19 was built.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:48 PM   #6

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Does anyone know how far it is from ball to box, along the tongue? What I'm wondering is if a wide tow vehicle can hit the box with the end of the bumper in a tight turn. The box overhangs well beyond the A-frame of the tongue.

I've seen the box, but is there a straight profile (from the side) view posted somewhere that would show this distance?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:51 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
You have probably read my take on them Ruth, but I shall repeat.

When I picked up my 19 just over 4 years ago, it wasn't even an option, so not getting it was a no brainer.

Seeing there is only the two of use almost all the time, we have more than enough storage between the trailer and the tow for everything we need to bring, and with room to spare.

When we take the canoe, we do start to fill up more with the PFDs and paddles. I do have a method of storing most of this stuff inside the inverted canoe I will employ in the future.

I do also have a larger than normal access hatch on the street side, accessing under the bed where we have all the stuff handy we need, like blocks and chocks, hoses, 7x12 patio mat, 2 chairs, 1 table, 2 stools (used as coffee tables mostly), a few outside games, etc. There is more room deeper which we use to store little used things like extension cord, and additional sewer and water hoses. I do plan to do a nice large drawer under the bed from the inside yet to help us better access even more storage.

Other than Bigfoot, I know of no other manufacturer offering the storage box, and all those owners, mostly with smaller trailer, seem to do okay without.

I also like the sleeker look without it, but that is just a personal thing.

And who knows, into the future after I retire, and we do multi-month extended trips, I may want the extra storage space and will get one installed, but for now I just don't need it. All it would be used for is to take more stuff I really don't want or need.

I do believe I am in the minority though, as many others figure that they couldn't do without it. But, we all have our own styles and comfort levels for camping, and so long as what you have gets you out camping, all is good no matter which way you go.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Cable tv cable, extension cord, main electric cord, battery,2 packs of leveling blocks, sewer ends, propane canisters for stove, water hoses and filter, tools, awning pole, stabilizer wrench, B@L-X-chocks, tire repair tools, 12v air compressor.
Jim (and/or others too with the 19), I keep those things, with the exception of the repair tools and air compressor (which are in the tow) accessible from the hatch. What did you keep in that access hatch?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 08-06-2013, 07:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Does anyone know how far it is from ball to box, along the tongue? What I'm wondering is if a wide tow vehicle can hit the box with the end of the bumper in a tight turn. The box overhangs well beyond the A-frame of the tongue.

I've seen the box, but is there a straight profile (from the side) view posted somewhere that would show this distance?
This is mine all hooked up etc . Not a full on side but close enough I think to give you an idea.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f1...port-2555.html
Cypherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:56 PM   #10

I can definitely see how those that don't have a full 60x80 storage built in as the 19 has, being more in need of the additional storage.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:03 PM   #11

Trailer: 2012 15A
One big advantage of the box is it has the protective paint coating which prevents rocks etc from hitting the trailer. At the time we purchased ours there was an option to have the paint on the trailer for about $500 I think. The box was $700, easy for us to decide to get it.

Having a 15A, we appreciate having the outside storage space for stuff that tends to get dirty. Don't have to store it inside the trailer, the dirt stays outside.

One Con may be a tendency to maybe have too much tongue weight. That is not a concern for us as we usually have two bikes on the back of the trailer and the weight tends to balance out I recon.

For us it is all PRO for having the box.
I think it adds to the appearance of the trailer as well. No regrets.
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:19 PM   #12

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
These reminders are all good.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:27 PM   #13

Trailer: 2012 15A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post

Here are some photos showing the box.
The distance from ball along frame to bottom of box is 34" and about 29" at the top of the box (box is tapered vertically)

Having the dual propane I think the contact on a really tight turn would be with it first. But it would have to be a really tight turn I figure. The second photo is looking along the line of the frame.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3378r.jpg   IMG_3376r.jpg   IMG_3375r.jpg   IMG_3373r.jpg  
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:28 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Jim (and/or others too with the 19), I keep those things, with the exception of the repair tools and air compressor (which are in the tow) accessible from the hatch. What did you keep in that access hatch?
I kept my 3 chairs and small camping table, 2 mats under the bed, also my grill and accessories as well as plastic bins for clothes and computers.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:31 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
Here are some photos showing the box.
The distance from ball along frame to bottom of box is 34" and about 29" at the top of the box (box is tapered vertically)

Having the dual propane I think the contact on a really tight turn would be with it first. But it would have to be a really tight turn I figure. The second photo is looking along the line of the frame.
I agree and if the turn was that tight you would definitely be pushing the trailer sideways vs moving it. Ever notice how with dual axles your turns are somewhat smaller due to the scoffing of the back axle while turning sharp?
Old 08-06-2013, 09:01 PM   #16

Trailer: 2022 Coachmen Nova 20C
I'm struggling with this same question as i stare at the build sheet for our new trailer.
I just like the look of the trailers without the box.
We've got a hatch to the under bench space on our 17 and I'm able to store an astonishing amount of things in there...patio mat, dozen leveler blocks, chocks, 2 hoses, folding broom, chemicals, even the charcoal starter that always had to go in the tug when I had my Scamp. After looking at the under bed compartments on the bigger trailers, I think the only reason I'd order the box is to protect the front end, but.....

I think I'm going to look into having 3M paint protection film applied to the front of our 21.
We had in installed on our 2005 Subaru when it was new and there's still not a mark on it where it was applied.
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:12 PM   #17

Trailer: 2012- 17'B.... 2016 Tacoma SR5 TRD
There are no con's. If you carry spare gas ect for the gen. it's a must have. Or if you want to hide a 24 from the boss, need I say more...
the useages are endless...
But the mild steel latches are rust pits, thats a con... just saying... stainless steel would be better. just wait 4 or 5 years when the rust streeks run down the front.....Ya. the reason they invented rustolumin...
Old 08-06-2013, 10:12 PM   #18

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulw View Post
I think the only reason I'd order the box is to protect the front end, but.....
I figure, years from now, if there are enough pits in the front of the trailer to warrant it, I will get the front coated with something ( or maybe buy the box so you can't see the pits ). I've done a lot of gravel roads and have maybe a half dozen small chips out of the gel-coat.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:25 PM   #19
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Did I misunderstand or doesn't the trailer have to be built or the hitch area retrofited to hold the box. I thought it wasn't just a simple "buy the box later" kind of thing.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:32 PM   #20

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Cypher and John - thanks for the photos and fit information. Our Sienna is relatively wide (77"), and yet turns very tightly, so I can see hitting the box. It would be less of a concern for a narrower vehicles, and for drivers more willing to live with restricted turning angles.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote