Storage compartment vents - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 11-30-2018, 07:30 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
Storage compartment vents

I installed 3 storage compartment vents in my 21 (one for the space under each dinette seat and one for the storage space under the bed) to reduce the likelihood of water lines and other things freezing during the winter. They are oak and may be opened or closed. I purchased them from Amazon HERE. They don't have any fasteners because they are actually floor vents, so I lined the part inserted in the hole with adhesive foam weather stripping to hold them in place.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN6169.jpg   DSCN6170.jpg  
Old 11-30-2018, 07:46 PM   #2

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Those look great!
Old 11-30-2018, 08:43 PM   #3

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Looks like a good match...I like them.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 09:15 PM   #4

Trailer: 2016 21 ft escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardr View Post
I installed 3 storage compartment vents in my 21 (one for the space under each dinette seat and one for the storage space under the bed) to reduce the likelihood of water lines and other things freezing during the winter. They are oak and may be opened or closed. I purchased them from Amazon HERE. They don't have any fasteners because they are actually floor vents, so I lined the part inserted in the hole with adhesive foam weather stripping to hold them in place.
Good job and they look nice. I have a 1000 watt electric heater on the 45 of my 21. And on the dinette benches I want to install fold down doors so I can access under the benches with out going thru the top. Also on cold nights I can open them up. Is that a full length mirror on the bath door. If it is can I ask where you got it. I love looking at the different modifications that people add to there rigs.
Jake930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 09:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake930 View Post
Good job and they look nice. I have a 1000 watt electric heater on the 45 of my 21. And on the dinette benches I want to install fold down doors so I can access under the benches with out going thru the top. Also on cold nights I can open them up. Is that a full length mirror on the bath door. If it is can I ask where you got it. I love looking at the different modifications that people add to there rigs.
Yes, we have a full length mirror on the bathroom door. It is just a cheap mirror, I think from Home Depot. The mirror is very light and attached with double sided tape.
Old 11-30-2018, 10:04 PM   #6

Trailer: ?
Just added to my ever growing to-do list.

Ed
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 10:09 PM   #7

We are thinking of doing the same full length mirror but mounting it on the inside of the bathroom door. The one I have in mind has a plastic moulded frame with no corner joints.
Generally a person would want a wooden frame and consider the plastic frame cheap but in the shower area it could be just right.

Old 11-30-2018, 10:10 PM   #8

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I suggest sourcing a plexiglass mirror which won't break. Costs more. I got mine at a glass shop. And, when placing the mirror, think about where the light will come from that illuminates you.

My mirror is on the inside of the bath door and the person using it is lit from both sides when the door is open. Mirror is held up with double sided tape, since 2008.
Attached Thumbnails
mirror.jpg  
Old 11-30-2018, 10:14 PM   #9

Looks good...have to check that out.

Old 11-30-2018, 10:30 PM   #10

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B "L'Escaboose" with 2021 Ford F150 XLT
Ooh yes, I have been meaning to investigate how to hang a full length mirror. The dogs aren't very good at checking my back for ticks. Thanks for the suggestions.
Nindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 06:39 AM   #11

Trailer: 2014 21' Escape
The 2014 21' we bought a few months ago has a full length mirror inside the bathroom door so just assumed that was a standard item?
Not sure why you would need a plexiglass mirror, unless something hit the glass one do not think it would break just from it being mounted in the trailer.

Safe and fun travels,

Steve
stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 08:22 AM   #12

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
It is the weight issue of glass vs plastic on the door hinges. The full length plastic mirrors are very light....
Old 12-01-2018, 09:43 AM   #13

The inside of the bathroom door, at least in my 17B, is not a smooth surface but rather has a slightly raised pattern to it. Still no problem attaching a mirror with doubled-sided tape? I assume 3M command strips or similar?
Old 12-01-2018, 10:12 AM   #14

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nindy View Post
The inside of the bathroom door, at least in my 17B, is not a smooth surface but rather has a slightly raised pattern to it. Still no problem attaching a mirror with doubled-sided tape? I assume 3M command strips or similar?

If you try the command strips, look for the waterproof ones, specifically for use outdoors or in wet locations.
Old 12-01-2018, 10:25 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
If you try the command strips, look for the waterproof ones, specifically for use outdoors or in wet locations.
Thanks!
Old 12-12-2018, 12:39 PM   #16

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
It is the weight issue of glass vs plastic on the door hinges. The full length plastic mirrors are very light....
Our 2007 5.0 came with a cheap full length mirror which eventually broke. Wanted a good quality mirror and found one, glass, and fairly heavy. However during one trip I opened the trailer door and the door had fallen off, cross the aisle and leaning on edge of fridge wall Thank goodness for the oak tape we got at Escape. I replaced the three cabinet hinges with which Escape mounts the door with five new ones.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 12:54 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
Our 2007 5.0 came with a cheap full length mirror which eventually broke. Wanted a good quality mirror and found one, glass, and fairly heavy. However during one trip I opened the trailer door and the door had fallen off, cross the aisle and leaning on edge of fridge wall Thank goodness for the oak tape we got at Escape. I replaced the three cabinet hinges with which Escape mounts the door with five new ones.
I hadn't heard of oak tape that is available from Escape. How does it look when covering a boo-boo?
Old 12-12-2018, 02:25 PM   #18

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
I hadn't heard of oak tape that is available from Escape. How does it look when covering a boo-boo?

You will have to look hard to see it if you match ( as best as you can ) the "grain" and if you don't cut it square. Angle cuts deceive the eye.
I could have done a better job matching grain.
Attached Thumbnails
Tape 1.jpg   Tape 2.jpg  
Old 12-12-2018, 03:24 PM   #19

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Oak Tape

Quote:
Looks good on a pirate with a wooden leg who kicked into his nightstand and got a boo boo.
Sorry, couldn’t help myself. Arrrrrrh
Iowa Dave
Old 12-12-2018, 04:23 PM   #20

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Nigel gave me a roll last year when I pointed out to him the boo-boo that an RV place made on replacing the bypass to hot water heater that was leaking. They must have hit the inside bench wall and cracked the finish outside. We patched with the tape and from a distance the repair is invisible. When hanging that new mirror we didn't get it quite lined up well and some stripped finish (from the old mirror removal) showed slightly at the top. Again used the tape and it looked OK. Also being ten years old we had some areas along the bottom at the floor which had been scuffed. Again repaired with the tape.

I do like those vents you put in the benches and might consider doing the same. Before on cold nights I have left the cushions off and lifted the bench tops to allow circulation but that is inconvenient.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote