Structural Schematics Available? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 07-07-2013, 07:36 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
Structural Schematics Available?

Have had our 19' for almost two weeks now and naturally, I'm wondering what I can do to "enhance" it just a little. I'm of course thinking basic stuff - where can I attach this or that, where is there a 'stud' I can tap into, and how far can I drive a screw without rupturing a water line (or heaven forbid, a tank). Anyone out there ever compiled a listing of where the structural framing is and where a screw might find some thing to sink its teeth into? Is there a plywood subfloor under all the linoleum (and if so, how thick is it)? Can I use my framing nailer?
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:02 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
You have tanks under basically the entire trailer, from the rear forward to at least the door. I would not drill or put any screws in the floor beyond the thickness of the dinette screws. Some members have put holes in their tanks working under the bed. There are studs at the corners and if you use the tap method you can find some others. I had 2 walls reinforced with plywood during the build out for that very reason. I would not use a framing nailer. When I installed my cherry floor, it floats and the trim was nailed to the cabinet bottom, nothing into the floor over the tanks.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:17 PM   #3

Wasn't really thinking about puncturing the skin with a 2.5" framing nail (but I sure enjoy compressed air!). Right now I'm thinking a very judicious use of epoxy (only when I am CONFIDENT that I want something forever or suction cups for everything else. Really want to secure some drawer glides under the bed/settee to accommodate some storage.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:37 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
". Really want to secure some drawer glides under the bed/settee to accommodate some storage"
that is the bad unknown area, over your fresh tank. I'd suggest perhaps you could cut and lay down a piece of 3/8 plywood under the bed and then use bolts up thru the plywood to hold your drawer guides. There are 4 large bolts protruding so allow for those with some holes. that way you will have a nice flat/smooth area for attaching items.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:22 AM   #5

Excellent idea! And a great example of the value of this Forum. Much appreciated.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:40 AM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
No problem using screws that penetrate the floor by 5/8". Any studs are easy to find with a stud finder. No water lines are run through framing, as most of the framing is just 2x2's.

A quick email to Escape would answer questions too.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote