Suburban Recessed Cooktop - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-17-2017, 02:30 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Greg A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Posts: 2,840
Suburban Recessed Cooktop

I just ordered a Suburban recessed glass cooktop enclosure from Amazon as they had 2 in the warehouse deals that I got one like new with damaged packaging for about half price, $58 reg $90.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
This is the enclosure that you recess into the countertop and then use the 2 burner suburban cooktop to set down in and hookup. Near as I can tell the Suburban 2 burner and the Atwood 2 burner are almost identical dimensions. I will see when it gets here whether the ETI supplied Atwood 2 burner will fit this enclosure. If so, I'll soon have a recessed glass covered cooktop for $60.
If it doesn't work out with the dimensions, it can be returned.
__________________

Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 04:51 PM   #2
Site Team
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Chilliwack, British Columbia
Trailer: Escape#4, 2019 Escape21 DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Posts: 19,728
The link is for the glass cover for the cooktop?
__________________

__________________
Jim
It is not the years in your life but the life in your years Lincoln
cpaharley2008 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 05:01 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Patandlinda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Posts: 5,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
I just ordered a Suburban recessed glass cooktop enclosure from Amazon as they had 2 in the warehouse deals that I got one like new with damaged packaging for about half price, $58 reg $90.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
This is the enclosure that you recess into the countertop and then use the 2 burner suburban cooktop to set down in and hookup. Near as I can tell the Suburban 2 burner and the Atwood 2 burner are almost identical dimensions. I will see when it gets here whether the ETI supplied Atwood 2 burner will fit this enclosure. If so, I'll soon have a recessed glass covered cooktop for $60.
If it doesn't work out with the dimensions, it can be returned.
Nice upgrade Greg ! Hope it will work out ! Pat
Patandlinda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 05:07 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
thoer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Galesville, Wisconsin
Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Posts: 4,207
Greg - it only says cover on the title. Does is also include the bottom part of the enclosure?
__________________
Eric (and Mary who is in no way responsible for anything stupid I post)

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 06:25 PM   #5
Site Team
 
rbryan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Canyon Lake, Texas
Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2018 F150 2.7L Ecoboost
Posts: 9,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
The link is for the glass cover for the cooktop?
Yeah, I thought so too Jim, and even posted a reply - until I looked at the documentation (really hard to find). The linked product is indeed the glass cover, but it's attached to a metal surround that recesses into the counter. The existing 2 burner cooktop sits inside that surround instead of on the top of the counter. It's kind of like a recessed cooktop 'conversion' kit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SDN2.JPG (16.7 KB, 166 views)
__________________
"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy an RV. And that is pretty close."
rbryan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 06:26 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Trailer: 2014 Escape-21
Posts: 268
Greg
What is under you current range a drawer or cabinet? The glass top drops your range about 2" into the cabinet. I was going to put one in a Casita but there was not enough room because a drawer was mounted just below the range bottom. If it works you got a deal.
Eddie
elongest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 06:53 PM   #7
Site Team
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Chilliwack, British Columbia
Trailer: Escape#4, 2019 Escape21 DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Posts: 19,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Yeah, I thought so too Jim, and even posted a reply - until I looked at the documentation (really hard to find). The linked product is indeed the glass cover, but it's attached to a metal surround that recesses into the counter. The existing 2 burner cooktop sits inside that surround instead of on the top of the counter. It's kind of like a recessed cooktop 'conversion' kit.
So if we already have a 2 burner stove this will convert it to a recessed model?
__________________
Jim
It is not the years in your life but the life in your years Lincoln
cpaharley2008 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 06:54 PM   #8
Site Team
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Chilliwack, British Columbia
Trailer: Escape#4, 2019 Escape21 DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Posts: 19,728
Actually my 2 burner has a large and a small burner whereas all the photo's show 2 burners of the same size?
__________________
Jim
It is not the years in your life but the life in your years Lincoln
cpaharley2008 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 07:29 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Patandlinda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Posts: 5,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Nice upgrade Greg ! Hope it will work out ! Pat
Greg I have looked at the glass top for the oven . Been occupied so didn't measure anything yet . I think it would require I drop the oven down . Just not crazy about the metal top that is on there now . I think the dinette table has to come first before I get into anymore . Pat
Patandlinda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 08:36 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Greg A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Posts: 2,840
Robert found what little documentation is out there. I did have Suburban send me their only install manual for this and I've attached it. What I purchased includes the glass cover attached to the metal housing as Robert shows, then your cooktop drops into the metal housing, secures and hooks up. It will require a 5 1/8 clearance from top of counter to bottom of cooktop. I have the microwave below my current cooktop and believe I have the clearance available, but I will be measuring a bunch this weekend after it arrives.
For $60 bucks figured it was worth the attempt.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 204942_INSTALL Glass Cover SDN2 REV NEW 10-24-2011.pdf (146.0 KB, 18 views)
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 08:38 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 11,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
So if we already have a 2 burner stove this will convert it to a recessed model?
It will convert a Suburban two-burner stove to recessed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Actually my 2 burner has a large and a small burner whereas all the photo's show 2 burners of the same size?
Jim, I think you'll find that the standard drop-in stove is an Atwood, generally similar to the Suburban but not the same.

In Suburban flush mount cooktop, Greg asked if the Atwood would drop into the Suburban kit; I don't recall an answer, but I assume that's what he is now attempting.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 08:39 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Greg A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Posts: 2,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Actually my 2 burner has a large and a small burner whereas all the photo's show 2 burners of the same size?
Jim,
That's the difference in the Suburban 2 burner cooktop and the Atwood. As far as I can tell so far the dimensions for each of those cooktops and the working box underneath look to be nearly identical. If so, I've struck gold, if not, I've struck out.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 08:40 PM   #13
Site Team
 
rbryan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Canyon Lake, Texas
Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2018 F150 2.7L Ecoboost
Posts: 9,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Actually my 2 burner has a large and a small burner whereas all the photo's show 2 burners of the same size?
I don't think the burner size would matter, but the cooktop size would.
__________________
"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy an RV. And that is pretty close."
rbryan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 08:40 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Greg A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Posts: 2,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
It will convert a Suburban two-burner stove to recessed.
Greg asked if the Atwood would drop into the Suburban kit; I don't recall an answer.
Brian, Stay-tuned we're gonna find out.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 05:26 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Greg A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Posts: 2,840
Update on Suburban Recessed Stove Cover.
Well my "like new" Amazon Suburban recessed cover was damaged so it had to go back. Good thing though, as I got to spend enough time with it to confirm that the Atwood Cook Top that ETI uses is a bit too small to fit the Suburban recessed cover.
This looks like a really easy mod, however, it will require ordering a Suburban Cooktop with the Recessed cover. I will probably pursue that at a later date since it would be very desirable to add to counter space. Both together will run about $190. Our stove is rotated 90 and there is plenty of room to expand the cutout for this.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 11:57 PM   #16
Site Team
 
rbryan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Canyon Lake, Texas
Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2018 F150 2.7L Ecoboost
Posts: 9,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Update on Suburban Recessed Stove Cover.
Well my "like new" Amazon Suburban recessed cover was damaged so it had to go back. Good thing though, as I got to spend enough time with it to confirm that the Atwood Cook Top that ETI uses is a bit too small to fit the Suburban recessed cover.
This looks like a really easy mod, however, it will require ordering a Suburban Cooktop with the Recessed cover. I will probably pursue that at a later date since it would be very desirable to add to counter space. Both together will run about $190. Our stove is rotated 90 and there is plenty of room to expand the cutout for this.
Good to know. Just looking at photos, I suspected there was a slight size difference between the Suburban and the Atwood.
__________________

__________________
"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy an RV. And that is pretty close."
rbryan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Escape Trailer Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.
×