Suburban Recessed Cooktop - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 07-17-2017, 01:30 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Suburban Recessed Cooktop

I just ordered a Suburban recessed glass cooktop enclosure from Amazon as they had 2 in the warehouse deals that I got one like new with damaged packaging for about half price, $58 reg $90.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
This is the enclosure that you recess into the countertop and then use the 2 burner suburban cooktop to set down in and hookup. Near as I can tell the Suburban 2 burner and the Atwood 2 burner are almost identical dimensions. I will see when it gets here whether the ETI supplied Atwood 2 burner will fit this enclosure. If so, I'll soon have a recessed glass covered cooktop for $60.
If it doesn't work out with the dimensions, it can be returned.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 03:51 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The link is for the glass cover for the cooktop?
Old 07-17-2017, 04:01 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
I just ordered a Suburban recessed glass cooktop enclosure from Amazon as they had 2 in the warehouse deals that I got one like new with damaged packaging for about half price, $58 reg $90.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
This is the enclosure that you recess into the countertop and then use the 2 burner suburban cooktop to set down in and hookup. Near as I can tell the Suburban 2 burner and the Atwood 2 burner are almost identical dimensions. I will see when it gets here whether the ETI supplied Atwood 2 burner will fit this enclosure. If so, I'll soon have a recessed glass covered cooktop for $60.
If it doesn't work out with the dimensions, it can be returned.
Nice upgrade Greg ! Hope it will work out ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 04:07 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Greg - it only says cover on the title. Does is also include the bottom part of the enclosure?

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 05:25 PM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
The link is for the glass cover for the cooktop?
Yeah, I thought so too Jim, and even posted a reply - until I looked at the documentation (really hard to find). The linked product is indeed the glass cover, but it's attached to a metal surround that recesses into the counter. The existing 2 burner cooktop sits inside that surround instead of on the top of the counter. It's kind of like a recessed cooktop 'conversion' kit.
Attached Images

Old 07-17-2017, 05:26 PM   #6

Trailer: 2012 Escape-19
Greg
What is under you current range a drawer or cabinet? The glass top drops your range about 2" into the cabinet. I was going to put one in a Casita but there was not enough room because a drawer was mounted just below the range bottom. If it works you got a deal.
Eddie
elongest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 05:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Yeah, I thought so too Jim, and even posted a reply - until I looked at the documentation (really hard to find). The linked product is indeed the glass cover, but it's attached to a metal surround that recesses into the counter. The existing 2 burner cooktop sits inside that surround instead of on the top of the counter. It's kind of like a recessed cooktop 'conversion' kit.
So if we already have a 2 burner stove this will convert it to a recessed model?
Old 07-17-2017, 05:54 PM   #8

Actually my 2 burner has a large and a small burner whereas all the photo's show 2 burners of the same size?
Old 07-17-2017, 06:29 PM   #9

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Nice upgrade Greg ! Hope it will work out ! Pat
Greg I have looked at the glass top for the oven . Been occupied so didn't measure anything yet . I think it would require I drop the oven down . Just not crazy about the metal top that is on there now . I think the dinette table has to come first before I get into anymore . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 07:36 PM   #10

Robert found what little documentation is out there. I did have Suburban send me their only install manual for this and I've attached it. What I purchased includes the glass cover attached to the metal housing as Robert shows, then your cooktop drops into the metal housing, secures and hooks up. It will require a 5 1/8 clearance from top of counter to bottom of cooktop. I have the microwave below my current cooktop and believe I have the clearance available, but I will be measuring a bunch this weekend after it arrives.
For $60 bucks figured it was worth the attempt.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 204942_INSTALL Glass Cover SDN2 REV NEW 10-24-2011.pdf (146.0 KB, 18 views)
Old 07-17-2017, 07:38 PM   #11

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
So if we already have a 2 burner stove this will convert it to a recessed model?
It will convert a Suburban two-burner stove to recessed.

Quote:
Actually my 2 burner has a large and a small burner whereas all the photo's show 2 burners of the same size?
Jim, I think you'll find that the standard drop-in stove is an Atwood, generally similar to the Suburban but not the same.

In Suburban flush mount cooktop, Greg asked if the Atwood would drop into the Suburban kit; I don't recall an answer, but I assume that's what he is now attempting.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 07:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Jim,
That's the difference in the Suburban 2 burner cooktop and the Atwood. As far as I can tell so far the dimensions for each of those cooktops and the working box underneath look to be nearly identical. If so, I've struck gold, if not, I've struck out.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:40 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
I don't think the burner size would matter, but the cooktop size would.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:40 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
It will convert a Suburban two-burner stove to recessed.
Greg asked if the Atwood would drop into the Suburban kit; I don't recall an answer.
Brian, Stay-tuned we're gonna find out.
Old 07-28-2017, 04:26 PM   #15

Update on Suburban Recessed Stove Cover.
Well my "like new" Amazon Suburban recessed cover was damaged so it had to go back. Good thing though, as I got to spend enough time with it to confirm that the Atwood Cook Top that ETI uses is a bit too small to fit the Suburban recessed cover.
This looks like a really easy mod, however, it will require ordering a Suburban Cooktop with the Recessed cover. I will probably pursue that at a later date since it would be very desirable to add to counter space. Both together will run about $190. Our stove is rotated 90 and there is plenty of room to expand the cutout for this.
Old 07-28-2017, 10:57 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Update on Suburban Recessed Stove Cover.
Well my "like new" Amazon Suburban recessed cover was damaged so it had to go back. Good thing though, as I got to spend enough time with it to confirm that the Atwood Cook Top that ETI uses is a bit too small to fit the Suburban recessed cover.
This looks like a really easy mod, however, it will require ordering a Suburban Cooktop with the Recessed cover. I will probably pursue that at a later date since it would be very desirable to add to counter space. Both together will run about $190. Our stove is rotated 90 and there is plenty of room to expand the cutout for this.
Good to know. Just looking at photos, I suspected there was a slight size difference between the Suburban and the Atwood.