Suction items. - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 06-04-2013, 10:44 AM   #1

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
Suction items.

I found these at IKEA and bought the tp one. (I am "hole adverse" like Glen.) They work on a screw tightening theory. I want to move the holder, but don't wish to put holes in the side of the shower wall. I am going to try it out before I remove the one on the door first. Some people don't use suction stuff, because they say they fall off in the heat. I know many of mine come off when I store the "Suite Escape" for long periods. Has anyone tried these? Search result - IKEA
Old 06-04-2013, 10:54 AM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
I don't have my escape yet but I might go this route to begin with. As others have said, once you use your trailer more you will know exactly where things work for you. Then you might feel more comfortable screwing things in permanently.
Jrn56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:01 AM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
That basket and the mounting system looks very similar to the one I have, which is currently on the floor of the bath along with its contents. I am looking for a round double-sided tape to stick it to the wall.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:09 AM   #4

Since I will not have reinforcement behind the shower wall, (left side when sitting on the throne) I am reluctant to put any holes anyware in that locale. I got the idea to move the tp holder from Carol R, as she had it placed in a different spot during the build. She did not want it on the door. I have bumped it a time or two, but never enough to damage anything.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:44 PM   #5

Trailer: 2008 Bigfoot 25B17.5G
An alternative to holes and suction cups are 3M Command products and their equivalents. That's what's been used in my Escape's bathroom, and I believe the original owner put up most of those hooks/soap dish/shampoo holder/etc soon after they brought it home from B.C. in 2005.
Old 06-04-2013, 04:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillary View Post
An alternative to holes and suction cups are 3M Command products and their equivalents. That's what's been used in my Escape's bathroom, and I believe the original owner put up most of those hooks/soap dish/shampoo holder/etc soon after they brought it home from B.C. in 2005.
I'm going to try those on the "wood" surfaces. I understand if I am very careful, they will also be removable.
Old 06-04-2013, 04:51 PM   #7

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
I went to the horse for that question. The horse's mouth (aka Reace) said:

Quote:
As for attaching hooks to the wall, I strongly suggest you stay away from stick on hooks. I have seen several where it had pulled the finish off the wall when trying to remove the stick on hook.
So I'll try the 3M hooks on the fiberglass shower, but not on the "wood" surfaces. I know how to attach things permanently to the wood surfaces ("how" depends on "where" and "what load"), but I haven't yet figured out a temporary way. I would prefer a temporary solution for the first while until I'm satisfied enough to go with a permanent solution.

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2018 Ford F150
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 04:58 PM   #8

I use the 3M Command Strip hooks on my wood surfaces. It's a case of read and save the instructions for removal. If you don't, you can cause damage. I have moved a couple of them with no problem.
That said, I haven't tried to remove one that has been up for a long time ( as in years ).
Old 06-04-2013, 05:06 PM   #9

Trailer: 2008 Bigfoot 25B17.5G
I guess I have the benefit/detriment of already having some things mounted since I bought used There's already a paper plate holder and paper towel holder mounted on the bottom of the overhead cabinet right above the wardrobe (with holes I believe), and a clear plastic tissue box holder stuck on over the bed exactly where we would have put one. We're adding another of the tissue holders to the dinette end of the trailer, and will be adding a couple of the stick on "oak" organizers on the bed side below the tissue holder by the thermostat to put our glasses/books/kindles/etc in while we sleep.

I don't expect the sticky stuff would come off the "wood" cleanly, but I'd still prefer that to holes (especially when the wall I'd be screwing into for the organizers has the fridge on the other side)!
Old 06-04-2013, 05:28 PM   #10

Yup. You have to make sure you place the correct side of the tape to the wall ( it is marked ) and when you remove the hook, you pull straight down ( your knuckle against the wall ). When it lets go, it whacks you on the fingers, so I wear a glove.
My paper towel holder has been on the underside of the cabinet, above the sink for five years now, held up with double-sided tape. I should probably get around to fastening it with screws, since it seems to be an acceptable place for it.
Old 06-05-2013, 03:40 PM   #11

Trailer: 2011 Escape 17B
Ikea suction holders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra L View Post
I found these at IKEA and bought the tp one. (I am "hole adverse" like Glen.) They work on a screw tightening theory. I want to move the holder, but don't wish to put holes in the side of the shower wall. I am going to try it out before I remove the one on the door first. Some people don't use suction stuff, because they say they fall off in the heat. I know many of mine come off when I store the "Suite Escape" for long periods. Has anyone tried these? Search result - IKEA

I bought these several months ago and installed them in our Escape's bathroom. They seem to be very strong as far as the hold goes. The secret is to make sure the area you are going to put them in has been thoroughly cleaned first. Many "bath" cleaners leave a film so water runs off better but it also makes it harder for suction mounts to stay stuck. Also, everything has limits - don't overload it!
LBaranyai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 03:56 PM   #12

Trailer: 2011 Escape 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra L View Post
Since I will not have reinforcement behind the shower wall, (left side when sitting on the throne) I am reluctant to put any holes anyware in that locale. I got the idea to move the tp holder from Carol R, as she had it placed in a different spot during the build. She did not want it on the door. I have bumped it a time or two, but never enough to damage anything.

The first thing I did was replace the toilet paper holder to a marine type that keeps the toilet paper safe from moisture. I wanted to change it's position slightly so had the hubby drill new holes for the wall plugs / filled them with silicone before screw mounting it. However, as a DIYer, I'm not afraid of using screws.

BTW - 3M Command strips also has a few products specifically for high moisture bathroom use. I have seen bath towel hooks, toothbrush/paste holder as well as the soap dish.
Attached Thumbnails
3M_17602B_Command_Soap_Dish_With_Water-Resistant_Strips.jpg  
Attached Images

LBaranyai is offline   Reply With Quote