Sun Screen for 'Fridge - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 05-10-2015, 02:47 PM   #1

Trailer: Bigfoot 25' 2018
Sun Screen for 'Fridge

On our last trip through Arizona I built up a sun screen to cover the outside of the trailer around the refrigerator. We have the older 5.0 'fridge which works OK up to 90-95F, above that it struggles. The sun screen is to help when the refridgerator side can't be kept in the shade. In Bullhead City AZ it was getting hot, and the site wasn't out of the sun, so I took an afternoon to build this.

I built a 3D "triangular" frame out of wooden dowel rods with eye screws in the ends. The ends were tied together with wire, and later zip ties. It was held to the trailer with suction cups.

Two links at each end form triangles, then two longer links hold these in position. I found sun shade material at ACE Hardware. It allows air to flow but blocks much of the solar. This I put over the frame using safety pins. Not elegent but it seems for work.

It holds up to at least some wind. It folds into a small, but long, package by taking a couple of corners apart.

I'll likely not improve on it, by cleaning up the cloth attachments, since it works as is. We didn't run into any more hot temps during the trip so not much testing. My initial use leads me to believe it works about as well as parking towards the shade. And that's about all one could expect from it. SUCCESS!

Thanks.
currinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 07:01 PM   #2

Trailer: none
I too have been pondering a system to do this. We've built awnings for the windows but the fridge area is a little tougher. Glad you see this attempt. It will be good to hear how it works as you do more traveling in hot weather...keep us posted!
Sold both 7/22
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 07:31 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Clothes pins may work and you can also use them to dry your towels....
Old 05-11-2015, 11:25 AM   #4

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
The original 5.0 had the fridge under the main awning, which I always felt was a bonus. We will see how the new 5.0 does with the fridge on the drivers side.

Mark
GerriJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 11:38 AM   #5

Trailer: Bigfoot 25' 2018
Jim: I like the idea of clothspins. I'll throw in a bunch and switch to these. Great idea.

Mark: I'd be worried about venting heat under the awning, it might hurt the awning? But Reece knows far more than I do, I just worry a lot. The new 19 vents out the roof which seems better all around, still on the street side though.

It may be some time until we see high temps again. I'll report back when I get better data though.

Thanks.
currinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 07:28 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by currinh View Post
Jim:
Mark: I'd be worried about venting heat under the awning, it might hurt the awning? But Reece knows far more than I do, I just worry a lot. The new 19 vents out the roof which seems better all around, still on the street side though.

Thanks.
Never had any awning damage on the original 5.0 in 4 years. Spent time in Utah, Arizona and Wenatchee WA. 90 degrees plus. I think the top side of the awning would have the same temperature as the underside in those places.

Mark
GerriJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 09:19 PM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
The only complaint I've heard about a frig venting to the passenger side (awning side) is the amount of heat pumped out to the area when folks are trying to use the awning for shade.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 09:44 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Most Airstreams have the refer on the passenger side under the awning, no complaints over there.
Old 05-11-2015, 10:02 PM   #9

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
The only complaint I've heard about a frig venting to the passenger side (awning side) is the amount of heat pumped out to the area when folks are trying to use the awning for shade.
In six years of owning my 17B with the fridge venting to the passenger side, under the awning, this thought has never occurred to me.
Old 05-11-2015, 10:11 PM   #10
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
In six years of owning my 17B with the fridge venting to the passenger side, under the awning, this thought has never occurred to me.
You may not read as much as I do I think in the shoulder season having heat pumped out under the awning would be grand!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 09:04 PM   #11

Trailer: 19' - Oct 2o15
You can also create a track above the vent using Awning Track from Sailrite. That will use cordage along the top edge. It can be attached with VHB tape. There maybe other versions of this track out in the market place.
OWilly is offline   Reply With Quote