Surge protection? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2012, 08:22 PM   #1

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Surge protection?

Our new 19' is being built as we speak and I'm wondering if anyone has the surge protection option and their thoughts on it. Just how necessary is it? I've not experienced any kind of a power surge before and am not a seasoned RV'er, (yet)! Are there any issues at RV Parks with uneven power supply?

How easy is it to retrofit a surge protection system if we don't get it and decide at a later date that we need one?

Thanks,
Glenn
Glennrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:31 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Re: Surge protection?

It is very easy to install in the 19', the main cable is routed under the street side dinette seat to the converted. I opted for the following model http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...otection/9612. You cut the wire and install this in the middle. It is like insurance on all your electronic items., the converter, your solar, your air conditioning. If there is any issue with the cg wiring, and there will be, it will notify you of the problem. If there is a surge or lightning strike in the campground, it will protect your trailer. In the summer when everyone turns on their a/c and the c/g voltage starts to drop, if it drops below 110v, you can damage your a/c and burn it up. This unit will shut your electric off before any damage. It is like having an electrician with you at all times, watching out for your new Escape.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:29 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour

Glenn, it's no problem to have an EMS put in at any time. The monitor, however, runs through some numbers constantly so you might want to be careful where you place that. It could drive you crazy if you see can see it while trying to sleep, for instance. Ours is down below a dinette cushion and can be seen from outside at the doorway.

The EMS will tell you how many amps you are using so you can check your usage on any one appliance, which can be handy info.

We have already had error messages where the electrical was apparently shut down. It was at a campground that seemed to have no normal pedestals. Plenty of people have come across bad wiring at quite a few places and some have had all of their electrical appliances ruined, so it seems worth it to get one.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:38 PM   #4

For other Newbies: We found a great thread on http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ors-50518.html
where there is a good discussion on this subject.

When we got to Jim's post about air conditioning and pets it became a no-brainer. (Our little daxie thanks you Jim! ) Since we will have the air conditioning unit it may be best for us (both being somewhat do-it-yourself challenged) to have the Escape factory install their recommended surge protector. Man! We've already used up the item's price in research and angst

Thanks again!

Rosemary & Glenn

Thanks Cathy for the suggestion about placement of the monitor - something we never would have thought about
Old 08-30-2012, 08:04 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19

Not sure what type/brand Escape installs, but the one mentioned here has a tiny remote display you can mount where you want to monitor what is going on. If you can replace a plug with 3 wires then you can install this unit. Word of Caution, if you are not familiar with electrical connections, then by all means have the factory install. Also remember, as Glen has discovered and mentioned elsewhere, when you first connect to electric while using this unit, there is a 2 minute time delay as the unit analyzes the electrical circuits. This is normal and there is nothing wrong with anything, just wait and allow it to do it's job. If there is an error, after 2 minutes, it will not allow the electric to flow. If everything is fine, your electric should be on then.
Some members here have complained to the cg there is something wrong without realizing it was during this 2 minute delay, only to find out there was nothing wrong when they returned to their camper
Old 08-30-2012, 11:18 AM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150

I installed the same model Jim linked to - so far it has shut down twice for low voltage & wouldn't start once when the campground had the hot & neutral reversed at the pedestal.

Have to agree about proper placement of the remote - it's fairly bright red display cycles through voltage, current, frequency & status continuously. On my 17 it is on the 4 person dinette support post next to the sink.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:54 AM   #7

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th

We have the one that Escape installs in out 19ft, was thankful on our way home that we had it, the one campground was having power issues withall the large trailers and motorhomes with 2-3 ac units all running at the same time at 38 C. there were breakers blowing all over the place, have no proof that the surge protector saved anything but i slept much better that night knowing that it was there if something bad was happening.
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 12:13 PM   #8

Hi MacRae
Glad you've been out enjoying your lovely new trailer!
Does the Escape surge protector have the monitor with the little flashing lights everyone is talking about? Where is it located?
Old 08-30-2012, 02:35 PM   #9

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th

ours is in the lhs front storage area by the converter and black tank, it does not have the display but i was assured by Tammy that it is a good quality piece.
I must admit i did not research it a ton. I was looking at the inline ones origianlly and found the one escape uses is similar money and will likely last longer not being bounced around in the front storage box and just seemed easier. One of my main objectives with this trailer was to make it as easy and quick as posible. in order to make travel as painless as posible. I love having the solar panels charging the batteries while it is sitting in the storage facility, no equalizer bars to mess with and things like that. makes a weekend trip very easy and pleasant.
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote