Swiveling and rotating solar panel mount - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-22-2014, 06:39 PM   #41

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
If my workbench was ever tidied up I'd be really worried.
One of the best sayings I ever saw, was "The last of good intentions is a clean garage".

This is so true, even after a major cleaning, it seems to immediately begin to be messy again.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 07:18 PM   #42

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Some good suggestions and I'm trying a couple of things. The only solution that I have ruled out is slotting the socket tube so the clamping action will work. A light sliding fit is important and that solution would probably deform the tube making future in and out actions difficult.
Perhaps the solution to a slot is... lots of slots, making the outer tube resemble a collet chuck. The inner lip of the outer tube would need to have some relief ground in it for that entry issue.

Another option - if you want to experiment with some scrap tubing first - is to place the clamp as far as you can down the tube, with multiple axial slots allowing the tube to be compressed at the that point while the end of the tube is intact and unchanged in diameter.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 10:25 PM   #43

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
A pin and with multiple holes is mechanically strong and simple but since I'm going for infinite adjustability, then, yes, some sort of clamp seems to be the way to go. Haven't figured that one out yet

Ron
How about mounting your base post to a horizontal quadrant plate (similar to your altitude adjustment) that rotates on a fixed base, to adjust azimuth. The entire assembly would then be adjustable as a unit on the fixed base, or maybe two, one at the tongue, and one that rides in the bike rack receiver.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 10:59 PM   #44

Don's horizontal quadrant plate idea would certainly avoid any issue with a clamp distorting the tube. You could even do it as fixed and rotating flanges with a clamp (like a small C-clamp) around them... or just a flange on one and gripped by a clamp on a bracket (like a car's brake disk and caliper). Avoiding an arc slot avoids restricting the angle of adjustment (which isn't an issue for the azimuth that needs less than 90 degrees).
Old 12-23-2014, 12:30 AM   #45

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
How about mounting your base post to a horizontal quadrant plate (similar to your altitude adjustment) that rotates on a fixed base, to adjust azimuth. The entire assembly would then be adjustable as a unit on the fixed base, or maybe two, one at the tongue, and one that rides in the bike rack receiver.
Good idea and that would probably work in some situations. However the base of the support post is in a very confined area, sandwiched between the front of the tongue box and the propane tanks.

All is not lost though, I think I have a good workable solution. I'll try it out tomorrow and take photos if it works Oh yeah, two more days to do my Christmas shopping, I'd better get started tomorrow for sure

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 09:17 AM   #46

Quote:
All is not lost though, I think I have a good workable solution. I'll try it out tomorrow and take photos if it works
We eagerly await the results. I also like Brian's idea of a caliper and clamp. Hmmm.

Quote:
Oh yeah, two more days to do my Christmas shopping, I'd better get started tomorrow for sure
Ron
Your two-day shopping allowance reminds me of my old method: Wait until the afternoon of Dec. 24, so when you go in the store, (1)it's not crowded
(2)the clerks are tired, and leave you alone
(3)you just buy whatever's left; no decisions.
(4)the only decision then is, who gets the leavings that you just bought.

When I got married, that method went away, far far away.
Old 12-23-2014, 12:43 PM   #47

Quote:
Good idea and that would probably work in some situations. However the base of the support post is in a very confined area, sandwiched between the front of the tongue box and the propane tanks.
I was thinking a disk only perhaps twice the diameter of the post... but I'm sure whatever you do will be good, Ron. I'm looking forward to seeing it.
Old 12-23-2014, 03:34 PM   #48

How about a fixed pipe flange for a base, with a wrench-tight g.i. pipe that you can slide your post over.
On the post is a welded or braised nut, say ½", with a thumb-turn bolt to jam against the base pipe. It just has to resist the twist.
If you're using 2" sch 5 pipe or EMT, then its i.d. is about 0.10" more than the o.d. of a 1½" g.i. pipe.
1½" o.d. = 1.900, and the 1½" flange base dia. = 5". Could that work in your limited space?
Old 12-23-2014, 04:37 PM   #49

Thanks for all the helpful advice. Here's what I came up with, not terribly elegant, but it does the job. The design process for lots of my little projects is often colored by miscellaneous materials I have on hand. Actually my design process used to make my design prof. at university turn white as a sheet But those artistic types are a little sensitive.

I had some nice s/s clamps but having to turn the nut with a wrench would have been a nuisance. I had this palm ratchet that I made in a university lab many years ago. It had a 5/16" thread so I welded a 5/16" bolt to the clamp.

The clamp clamps onto a tang from the upper tube. There is an internal sleeve and a pretty extreme amount of force would have to be used to deform it. Actually, a surprising small amount of clamping effort stops the tube from rotating.

Hope the weather clears up soon so I can try the whole assembly out.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
23-12-2014 1-54-26 PM2_resize.jpg   23-12-2014 2-12-09 PM1_resize.jpg  
Old 12-23-2014, 04:54 PM   #50

Thanks Ron! I don't know about clearing weather - it is winter in Vancouver.
Old 12-23-2014, 05:31 PM   #51

Well done! Simple and relatively elegant. And no parts to drop in the dirt.
Old 12-24-2014, 11:10 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Thanks Ron! I don't know about clearing weather - it is winter in Vancouver.
I'm sorry, I shouldn't have used West Coast, lotus land, terminology for you folks East of those big mountains.

"Clearing weather"

Vancouver: rain showers stop, people go walking on the seawall, in shorts, play tennis, golf, tidy up garden, maybe wash car. Happy overnight temperatures don't go down to freezing.

Edmonton: blizzard ends, people wonder which great mound of snow their car is under, happy if day time temperatures get almost up to freezing

Hope I cleared up "clearing weather" and now I have to go and wash a car, do my Christmas shopping and maybe get a little work done on my project.

Ron
Old 12-26-2014, 07:10 PM   #53

Quote:

Yes, it sits on a bottom post, flat but operating, while underway. To raise it I have to lift it off the post, insert a 4' tube and lift that tube and panel up. Weight of the assembly is 22 lbs. and the lift is to chest height.
Ron
I said bravely, not really sure about lifting a top heavy load up in the air and dropping it onto the socket tube Since the 4' tube was changed to a 5' tube I was a little more worried about the balance while trying to place it on the socket.

But today was do or die day and I was happy that even an old guy can lift up the panel and slide it down onto the lower tube without any problem.

All the clearances worked out OK so just some tidying up things to do and then wait for my cheap ebay controller to arrive so I can try it out.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
26-12-2014 4-45-29 PM4_resize.jpg   26-12-2014 4-45-28 PM3_resize.jpg   26-12-2014 4-45-28 PM1_resize.jpg  
Old 01-08-2015, 07:25 PM   #54

I finished the last step on the exterior for the solar panel mast. I notched the propane cover, reinforced the notch with aluminum sheet and put an EPDM membrane in to seal the space between the cover and the mast. Seems to work pretty well. The mast is rock solid. If I don't have the panel up and I see one of those humungeous RV's with a very tall flag pole I'll be tempted to put one up 10' higher.

Finally got my cheapo charge controller and started figuring out a little power panel for the end of the table. Since my table has its' own frame the panel is attached to it and is completely independent of the table.

Put a few of the devices I want in that area on the table, threw together a down and dirty mock-up and now have worked out exactly what size the actual panel will be. Basically 3" shorter and without the top shelf overhanging. Now if I just had some of Myron's aromatic cedar coffee wood.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
08-01-2015 5-08-54 PM1_resize.jpg   08-01-2015 5-08-55 PM2_resize.jpg   08-01-2015 5-08-55 PM3_resize.jpg  
Old 01-08-2015, 08:08 PM   #55

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
"...Now if I just had some of Myron's aromatic cedar coffee wood."

In your dreams, Hondo.
Attached Thumbnails
Wbear.jpg  
Old 01-09-2015, 08:47 AM   #56

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Nice work Ron, you can not have too many USB ports, is that a short wave radio I see?
Old 01-09-2015, 12:38 PM   #57

Well it's not nice work yet. That has to be one of my crudest mock-ups ever, even for me. But it did help me sort out my priorities. Decided that I should also add a cigarette lighter receptacle. I use USB more but it'd be easier to use than having to reach down to the face of the dinette seat.

Next decision, decide on what type of wood to use. There's always plain old oak, black walnut would nice, and some of that Myron Wood, aka Tennessee Aromatic Cedar would really stand out but I'm thinking Burmese Teak because I have some teak pin railing left over from a boat building project.

Yes, a little short wave radio that also holds a thousand or so of my most favourite songs. During my cruising days the short wave was my only way of staying in touch. I spent many a Saturday morning listening to the Voice of America Farm broadcast

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
09-01-2015 10-13-49 AM1_resize.jpg  
Old 01-11-2015, 02:33 PM   #58

Making progress, got to test my various mail order components and the panel is starting to take shape.

While I was able to hoist my new panel up and check that it physically all worked I wasn't able to test its' output because I live in a canyon with trees toward the South and the sun is so low and barely clears the hill by noon. A few days looked promising but fog rolled up the valley just before noon So, finally, the stars aligned, bright sunshine at noon, so I grabbed the panel and stuck it in the den window and hooked up my cheapo controller and was happy to see everything worked. No DOA components to deal with. Now, as soon as I learn Chinglish, I'll be able to set all the various parameters on the controller.

The panel is starting to take shape, I think it's going to work out quite well.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
11-01-2015 12-11-59 PM1_resize.jpg   11-01-2015 12-11-59 PM2_resize.jpg   11-01-2015 12-11-59 PM3_resize.jpg  
Old 01-12-2015, 09:28 AM   #59

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
One consideration - if the layout of your beautiful shelf is as shown in the photo, you may have problems with the radio. Most of the solar controllers I've dealt with produce lots of RFI, at least close to them.
Old 01-12-2015, 10:40 AM   #60

No worries there, they live in different worlds. The controller is only used during the day and the shortwave at night when the airwaves come alive. Also, it's portable, it can sit anywhere, the shelves are a sort of a charging station. Various devices will sit on top while being charged.

Ron