Swiveling and rotating solar panel mount - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 01-18-2015, 05:50 PM   #61

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
It's alive and everything works. So from left to right it's USB, basic cigarette lighter 12 volt outlet, 110 volt inverter outlet, inverter remote control switch, and USB outlet as well as the solar controller. Since I like to track the sun it's good to have it in an easy to glance at location.

Glad to have stuff off the table and the table still moves side-to-side independently.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
18-01-2015 3-19-28 PM3.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 05:25 PM   #62

OK, color me happy camper.

I didn't travel in Alaska with the solar panel mounted on the mast because I hadn't yet fabricated the stabilizer brackets and I couldn't risk it causing grief due to buffeting and rough roads.

Just made a trip down to Paine field at Everett. Tilted my rear view camera up so I could monitor it for signs of trouble and hit the highway. It's rock solid. It had lots of buffeting, bumpy roads and it stayed fine even when I took it up to 75. Even though I knew technically it should be fine, it's always nice to see real life results.

I thought when it was "down" that the output would be minimal but I was surprised at how well it worked. I'm wondering if the reflected light from the aluminum doors on the canopy and the shiny f.g. don't compensate for the low position. At any rate, I won't be using my truck alternator nearly as much now.

Several people asked about my panel on a pole including this guy who has even more aluminum on his vehicle than I do.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
24-07-2015 11-10-51 AM_0001_resize.JPG   finished highway version.jpg  
Old 08-11-2015, 05:44 PM   #63

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Do you mean the guy in the jet back there?
Old 08-11-2015, 06:09 PM   #64

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Wow, Ron. You're just full of surprises. That F86 in the background looks good framed by the Escape.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 06:51 PM   #65

To Myron it was that guy in the jet back there, to you it's an F-86 and of course, you're right, F-86 Sabre. Lucky guy was just heading to SoCal.

Ron
Old 08-11-2015, 10:51 PM   #66

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
OK, color me happy camper.

I didn't travel in Alaska with the solar panel mounted on the mast because I hadn't yet fabricated the stabilizer brackets and I couldn't risk it causing grief due to buffeting and rough roads.

Just made a trip down to Paine field at Everett. Tilted my rear view camera up so I could monitor it for signs of trouble and hit the highway. It's rock solid. It had lots of buffeting, bumpy roads and it stayed fine even when I took it up to 75. Even though I knew technically it should be fine, it's always nice to see real life results.

I thought when it was "down" that the output would be minimal but I was surprised at how well it worked. I'm wondering if the reflected light from the aluminum doors on the canopy and the shiny f.g. don't compensate for the low position. At any rate, I won't be using my truck alternator nearly as much now.

Several people asked about my panel on a pole including this guy who has even more aluminum on his vehicle than I do.

Ron
Back to solar that is a nice setup . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 10:53 PM   #67

Question about solar charger Blue Sky 30 or the Samlex Escape uses . Pro or cons ? Pat
Old 08-11-2015, 10:55 PM   #68

Also do you still need the Bogart volt amp meter ? Pat
Old 08-11-2015, 11:13 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Back to solar that is a nice setup . Pat
Thanks, I'm very happy with it now that I've established that it will handle freeway speeds in the down or parked position while also charging.

I also like being able to maximize output in the raised position by tilting and swiveling it. And, if all else fails, I can lift it off, hook up an extension cord to it and use it further away if I'm parked in the shade.

I don't know about those controllers. Mine's an inexpensive ebay one and it seems to do the job quite well.

Ron
Old 08-12-2015, 10:59 AM   #70

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
To Myron it was that guy in the jet back there, to you it's an F-86 and of course, you're right, F-86 Sabre. Lucky guy was just heading to SoCal.

Ron
I wonder if he's heading to this:
Wings Over Camarillo | August 22nd & 23rd, 2015

I live under the right downwind.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 11:02 AM   #71

Quote:
Thanks, I'm very happy with it now that I've established that it will handle freeway speeds in the down or parked position while also charging.

I also like being able to maximize output in the raised position by tilting and swiveling it. And, if all else fails, I can lift it off, hook up an extension cord to it and use it further away if I'm parked in the shade.

I don't know about those controllers. Mine's an inexpensive ebay one and it seems to do the job quite well.

Ron
Ron did you make the swivels ? The pole is aluminum I would guess ? Pat
Old 08-12-2015, 11:45 AM   #72

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Great job on your mount, Ron. I think that is a much better way to go that a roof mount. Wouldn't work so good with a 5.0 though.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 12:31 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Ron did you make the swivels ? The pole is aluminum I would guess ? Pat
Yes, I made them. The mast is a 2" aluminum tube. The panel bracket fits inside and can be rotated. The quadrant allows for tilting and is aluminum. It's a bit overkill. It could have just been a straight slotted piece of flat bar but since I so rarely have a reason to use my milling machine I went with the deluxe version.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
19-12-2014 3-45-57 PM3_resize.jpg  
Old 08-12-2015, 12:43 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
I wonder if he's heading to this:
Wings Over Camarillo | August 22nd & 23rd, 2015

I live under the right downwind.
He, and a MIG, were heading to Santa Rosa on Monday so maybe he'll end up there.

Love to live near an airport. To badly paraphrase Walt Whitman, "never met an airplane I didn't like."

That photo was my 2 in 1 shot. He was already rolling but I wanted a finished shot of my tilting mount and I wanted a photo of the "What's out my back window?" type. So I managed to get to the right position and snap a shot.

Ron
Old 08-12-2015, 03:25 PM   #75

Quote:
Yes, I made them. The mast is a 2" aluminum tube. The panel bracket fits inside and can be rotated. The quadrant allows for tilting and is aluminum. It's a bit overkill. It could have just been a straight slotted piece of flat bar but since I so rarely have a reason to use my milling machine I went with the deluxe version.

Ron
Very cool Ron ! Pat
Old 11-21-2019, 12:31 PM   #76

It's alive, like Phoenix rising from the ashes.

My tilting, swiveling solar panel mount didn't go with the 19. I was considering just putting multiple panels on the roof but since I enjoy tweaking out everything that I can from the panel and I already had it, I adapted it to the 21. The old tabernacle base just bolted onto the spare tire mount so it was pretty easy to install.

I did discover a little known fact about rigid panels. They absorb photons over the years and get heavier and heavier. At least mine seemed to. Glad to have a lightweight flexible panel to replace the original heavy solid one.

I made a lightweight frame for the panel, 1/16" aluminum angle. I can use it as a portable panel also if the trailer is ever totally in the shade.

Wish it was pointed at the early morning sun in Baja. I hate the frosty mornings that we're having here.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0009_resize.JPG   IMGP0010_resize.jpg   IMGP0011_resize.JPG   IMGP0013_resize.JPG  
Old 11-21-2019, 01:02 PM   #77

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
What are the specs on the panel you used, Ron.
Good to see the setup back in use on the 21.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 05:25 PM   #78

I'd say low spec. but what can you expect for two 100 watt panels, a controller and cables that cost $217 US delivered to the door.

Given our history and a pretty darn good idea of what our needs are they'll do just fine. This is our first panel, a 5 watt Siemens, purchased in 1989 for $400. It's the original "tilting, swivelling" solar panel. The round tube went into the winch handle hole on a winch and it could be constantly pointed in the ever changing direction of the sun when sailing. Incredibly the panel still has good output. Later we added a 2 panels on our radar arch, a massive 30 watts each.

Given that we cruised our boat for years without access to shore power or water for extended lengths of time we became very frugal in our usage. This continues today, it's ingrained in our nature. Not a hardship for us, it's just natural for us. Others I notice aren't so frugal, having their trailers lit up like a Xmas tree etc. They very likely should buy higher spec. stuff.

To each their own, works for us. Heck 200 watts is double what we had on the 19. Maybe we'll get a little crazy and have more than 2 lights on at a time.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0014_resize.jpg   IMGP0015_resize.jpg